• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Do you know the way to San Jose?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

Was that enough "wo's"? That song is a distant memory. I will be traveling to San Jose with gear April 1-4. Which way to the water? I see that Monterey is only a little over an hours drive from there, I've always wanted to dive the kelp forests. Is this a good time to do that? Recommendations of charters? Buddies?

Edited by Brinybay, 25 March 2007 - 12:13 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#2 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Monterey is definitely worth the trip, particularly if you have never dived there before.

I dove with the Monterey Express last fall and it went fine.

http://www.montereyexpress.com/

I think the kelp is a little thin this time of year, but, the vis will probably be better to compensate.

You may see some sea otters in there.

If you want to, you can dive with all the sea lions you can handle right off the jetty in the harbor.

The acquarium is excellent (I think they still have their little great white there) and town is nice too. So, if you do go, make sure you leave some time to walk around.

I'm definitely going back sometime, hopefully soon.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#3 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

Monterey is definitely worth the trip, particularly if you have never dived there before.

I dove with the Monterey Express last fall and it went fine.

http://www.montereyexpress.com/

I think the kelp is a little thin this time of year, but, the vis will probably be better to compensate.

You may see some sea otters in there.

If you want to, you can dive with all the sea lions you can handle right off the jetty in the harbor.

The acquarium is excellent (I think they still have their little great white there) and town is nice too. So, if you do go, make sure you leave some time to walk around.

I'm definitely going back sometime, hopefully soon.

What about next week? Would be nice to buddy up with another SD person who knows the area.

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#4 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

What about next week? Would be nice to buddy up with another SD person who knows the area.

I wish. Unfortunately, it's a bit far for me to travel for a couple of days. There are a few SD people in the SF and Monterey area though. Maybe do a search and send them a PM to see if the're available.

I wouldn't be afraid to go solo either. Most of the people on the charter were local divers, and had good experience. The guy that I dove with actually had an unlimited season pass with the charter.

Good luck.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#5 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

I wish. Unfortunately, it's a bit far for me to travel for a couple of days. There are a few SD people in the SF and Monterey area though. Maybe do a search and send them a PM to see if the're available.

I wouldn't be afraid to go solo either. Most of the people on the charter were local divers, and had good experience. The guy that I dove with actually had an unlimited season pass with the charter.

Good luck.

My plans fell through, I will not be going to San Jose or visit the Monterey area.

Edited by Brinybay, 28 March 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#6 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

:birthday:

Edited by Brinybay, 25 March 2007 - 10:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users