• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

GOING TO KEY LARGO 4 JULY ANY INPUT

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 justscuba

justscuba

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Myself and a student are going to Key Largo, Fl on 4 July. I am looking at Silent world. Anyone have any input or would like to Join us. Looking at diving the 4 and 5 then fly back to New Mexcio. I am looking into a hotel, rental car and dive. Any information would be great.

#2 Penguin

Penguin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:06 PM

Myself and a student are going to Key Largo, Fl on 4 July. I am looking at Silent world. Anyone have any input or would like to Join us. Looking at diving the 4 and 5 then fly back to New Mexcio. I am looking into a hotel, rental car and dive. Any information would be great.

justscuba-----PLEASE join us in North Carolina for some fabulous diving. SD has a scheduled dive and it is going to be a BLAST!! Fly into Philly and ride south with me or fly anywhere in between and I'll catch you on the fly.

#3 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:13 AM

justscuba-----PLEASE join us in North Carolina for some fabulous diving. SD has a scheduled dive and it is going to be a BLAST!! Fly into Philly and ride south with me or fly anywhere in between and I'll catch you on the fly.

I would love to however I am taking a student who is not ready for that kind of diving. I was looking and talking to both TIMs about meeting there. Thanks for asking

#4 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:55 AM

I went to the Keys in '05 and stayed at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo. Glen with Blue Water Divers is right there on site and is a small operation (when compared to some of the "cattle car" operators). We also dove with Divers City in Tavenier, another small operation, with Walter from this board. SD did a trip over Memorial weekend in the same year and used Conch Republic.

The one item to keep in mind is that the DM's don't lead you around a dive site. You're own your own to swim about and return to the entry point!!

Have a great trip!!!!!

:lmao:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#5 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:14 AM

SD did a trip over Memorial weekend in the same year and used Conch Republic.

I've been using Conch Republic for over 10 years for my certification trips down there - great group of folks. In fact, my avatar pic at left was taken on their boat, on a trip I did with them in 2005.

The one item to keep in mind is that the DM's don't lead you around a dive site. You're own your own to swim about and return to the entry point!!

Which is exactly how it should be, IMO.
Will DIR for food!

#6 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Just a Dive out of the Marriott is fantastic... Great for beginners... They go to the typical snorkeling type sites... 40 feet max... They will go to other sites/deeper by request... Love them... They use a large pontoon type boat... great for a beginner. The only gripe I have is that you do mix with snorkelers if there happen to be any...

My other favorite is Quiessence which is next to the Marriott. They have a few six packs... great for students... small boats though but they are nice... Let them know in advance that you are with a student so they put other beginners on the boat. Otherwise you might get some more experienced on the boat as well... Great operation, they of course take requests for sites and do a great job, but its more of a no frills. Bring your drinks, sandwhiches etc, they have a cooler...

The one perceived draw back to both of these, is that they are on the gulf side so, the ride to the site is a litte longer... personally, I don't mind that at all, it gives me time to relax, enjoy the environment and the ride...

Have fun whatever you do... great diving... I will likely be there in August for a weekend.
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#7 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:05 AM

SD did a trip over Memorial weekend in the same year and used Conch Republic.

I've been using Conch Republic for over 10 years for my certification trips down there - great group of folks. In fact, my avatar pic at left was taken on their boat, on a trip I did with them in 2005.

Which is exactly how it should be, IMO.

Thanks for the info.

#8 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Just a Dive out of the Marriott is fantastic... Great for beginners... They go to the typical snorkeling type sites... 40 feet max... They will go to other sites/deeper by request... Love them... They use a large pontoon type boat... great for a beginner. The only gripe I have is that you do mix with snorkelers if there happen to be any...

My other favorite is Quiessence which is next to the Marriott. They have a few six packs... great for students... small boats though but they are nice... Let them know in advance that you are with a student so they put other beginners on the boat. Otherwise you might get some more experienced on the boat as well... Great operation, they of course take requests for sites and do a great job, but its more of a no frills. Bring your drinks, sandwhiches etc, they have a cooler...

The one perceived draw back to both of these, is that they are on the gulf side so, the ride to the site is a litte longer... personally, I don't mind that at all, it gives me time to relax, enjoy the environment and the ride...

Have fun whatever you do... great diving... I will likely be there in August for a weekend.

Thanks for the info. Don't you want to dive in July? Aug is one more month away??? LOL

It would be nice if anyone wants to join us.

#9 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info. Don't you want to dive in July? Aug is one more month away??? LOL

It would be nice if anyone wants to join us.

I would dive with you, I'm afraid that weekend will be very crowded though....
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#10 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

I did my OW with Ocean Divers on Molasses Reef and Snapper Ledge. Nice people. I had no issues at all.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#11 CobraJet

CobraJet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Logged Dives:40+

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:39 PM

justscuba,
I'm waffling on Key Largo for the 4th or to just head back to Colorado for a few days. I'll subscribe to this thread and let you know in a week if I decide to head down there for a few days.

Visited the area before but never dived it so I've been looking forward to it for sometime...
Tom
Parker, CO

#12 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

justscuba,
I'm waffling on Key Largo for the 4th or to just head back to Colorado for a few days. I'll subscribe to this thread and let you know in a week if I decide to head down there for a few days.

Visited the area before but never dived it so I've been looking forward to it for sometime...

Come on down. Will arrive on the 3 July. I booked this with Silent World Dive Center (800-966-3483) for 2 AM dives for two days and room it cost was not bad. Looks like a great time.
Look forward to diving with you.

Marty

#13 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:26 AM

I am going June 21 - 24. I let Ocena Divers take care of my room and I am doing 2 boat rides a day at two tanks each.

The dives work out like this:
Mornings = Wreck Dives (EAN32)
Afternoons = Shallow Reefs (Air)

Everything is weather dependent of course, but I think I have Spiegel Grove on the Saturday Morning.

This is a get away trip for my mom and I and she is going on the local small gambling boat and my childhood buddy from St. Louis is coming down and trying a Discover Scuba Dive.

I will write later and tell you what all the charges are and see if I am getting a good deal.

Squid
Signature under construction :)

#14 CobraJet

CobraJet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Come on down. Will arrive on the 3 July. I booked this with Silent World Dive Center (800-966-3483) for 2 AM dives for two days and room it cost was not bad. Looks like a great time.
Look forward to diving with you.

Marty

Hi Marty,
Thanks for twisting my arm...

I'm headed to Colorado later in July anyways so what the hey, I'm going to Key Largo for the 4th. Just made reservations at the Holiday Inn resort, and called both Conch Republic and Silent World. I grabbed a few dive spots with Conch and looking at the 3 trip package (6 dives) with Silent World for the 4th through the 7th.

So did Silent World book you a hotel, too?
Tom
Parker, CO

#15 CobraJet

CobraJet

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

I am going June 21 - 24. I let Ocena Divers take care of my room and I am doing 2 boat rides a day at two tanks each.

The dives work out like this:
Mornings = Wreck Dives (EAN32)
Afternoons = Shallow Reefs (Air)

Everything is weather dependent of course, but I think I have Spiegel Grove on the Saturday Morning.

This is a get away trip for my mom and I and she is going on the local small gambling boat and my childhood buddy from St. Louis is coming down and trying a Discover Scuba Dive.

I will write later and tell you what all the charges are and see if I am getting a good deal.

Squid

Hey Squid,
I'd like to hear about your rates. I'm just a rookie so this all new to me...
Tom
Parker, CO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users