• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Loreto Mexico - Sea of Cortes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

I saw this press release today explaining Continental Airlines new direct service between Houston and Loreto (north of La Paz on the Baja Peninsula):

CLICK Here for Story About CO Airlines

I then did a search of area with the word dive and came up with CLICK Here for Dolphin Dive Center.

Not all my travels have to be Scuba Perfect - however, I would like to discover one of these Mexican towns before the masses do, but just late enough to be a nice infrastructure waiting in advance of the wave of future tourists.

Here is another Dive Company: http://loretours.com/

http://www.bajaoutpost.com/

http://www.loretobay...ms/page1540.cfm

Edited by Houston Squid, 12 June 2007 - 04:26 PM.

Signature under construction :)

#2 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

I just saw this is where "Squid School" is for diving with the Giant Humboldt Squid. Sounds unique and the set up is cool too:

CLICK Here -- for more on Squid School

You guys know with my nickname I have to do this.

Squidly
Signature under construction :)

#3 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

I did a liveaboard ,the Don Jose ,out of LaPaz a couple of years ago in the Sea of Cortez and thought it was really great diving.
LaPaz is a cute little town, not as inundated with tourists like Cabo is but close by if you want to visit Cabo.
Sea of Cortez is easy, fun diving.
You can have the Humboldt Squid...they will take a chunk out of you...I saw a documentary on Discovery or something similar, where this guy who had almost been killed by one, now spends all his time in some kind of armored dive get up , diving at night in Cortez tring to find them....
He is apparantly a slow learner... :D

#4 divingwahine

divingwahine

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

I've been to Loreto twice to dive. Both times, I've booked a package with Baja Outpost. Accomodations are nice but not luxury. No TV's, no radios. Bed is pretty comfortable. They have single rooms and palapas. Both are air conditioned with the palapas being a bit nicer. Free breakfast (fruit, eggs, juice, coffee) and free soft drinks all day long. Beer is on an honor system. They stock quite a variety of Mexican beers; you keep your bottle top and settle up at the end of the week.

Diving is off of pangas - backroll entry if I remember right. It's about 30 minutes to the dive sights, maybe a bit less and it's not the most comfortable ride in the world even if the water is totally flat. They pull the boat up onto a beach of one of the little islands and serve you a cold lunch that they've packed in a cooler. Can't remember if they serve you between the two dives or after the 2nd dive.

It's very relaxing diving - no strong currents that I can remember. I believe they have whale sharks, hammerheads, and mantas during specific seasons. Fish life is abundant (though it's NOT the Caribbean) and they have some of the biggest green morays I've ever seen.

The town of Loreto is quite charming with several places to eat - good food all around and really nice people. As it is the Baja, it is HOT during the summer months. But then again, the water is like bath water in the summer months, too. And, when you hit the surface after your night dive ascent, look up - you'll see more stars than you ever thought possible.

#5 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

Used to work on a ship that cruised the offshore islands between La Paz and Loreto during the winter months. I did a lot of diving while there. Interesting ecosystems... too warm for kelp and macroalgae, and too cool for reef-building corals. I've got a two DVD set of the marine life from the region that's available on my web site.

Susan Speck's Dolphin Dive Center should offer good diving. She's an expert on diving the Sea of Cortez.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users