• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Need Travel Gear Advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9+

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi SD!
I'm traveling for a dive out of state next month and want to get some input on good travel gear. Specifically, I'm looking to purchase a rolling luggage bag made for packing dive gear. I don't have a BC or reg, but want to make sure I can pack all my basics (suits, fins, weights, etc) and get it on the plane. If you've had any successes (or failures) with a particular brand, vendor, or otherwise, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Any help will help! Thanks!!

PiscesDiver
aka Kimberley

#2 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

First, as a recommendation I have received from other divers, always pack your reg [w/computer] and any personalized gear, such as a perscription mask, or anything absolutely essential to your trip in a carry on. Do not risk the loss [albeit temporary, hopefully] of these items to the air carrier.

Next with the reduction of luggage weight to 50 lbs per piece, it is not necessary to buy the biggest bag the airlines allow [as I did]. If you do, there will be plenty of air left in the bag for your gear to shift while in transit, unless you want to pay the excess weight charges. As I pack, I weigh the bag, to make sure I don't exceed the 50 lb limit, by more than a lb or 2. The airline usually will allow an extra lb or 2, but will slap a HEAVY tag on it, which targets your bag to the baggage handling gorillas. While the bag companies like to advertise the "exterior pockets", beware they will be utilized as a substitute handle by the BHG, and will end up being torn off [as mine have].

Of course make sure the wheels, zippers, extending handle, and the material the bag are made of will be able to endure the abuse of both the BHG and their mechanical counterparts. Some manufactures offer warranties on their bags. There are those who opt for a Pelican case, instead of a soft bag.

As with everything, quality has its price and nowhere is it more evident and necessary as with diving.

Scan the internet, then take the weekend to go to your LDS [all of them, as they won't all handle all the choices] to physically inspect your choices.

Good Luck & Good Diving,
Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Kimberley, Get a rolling duffle bag so if you ever go on a liveaboard you can fold it flat to stow. Try to avoid bags with dive flags on them that tell baggage handlers to steal me.
Why are you packing weights? Other than Texas and a few other spots they come with the dive package.
Have a good trip!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the advice, Bill & Lat Adj. Good points!! I'm looking at the Armor #89 as it meets airline standards, has rollers, and a tough exterior to keep the gorillas at bay too. Thank you for the tip on weights, but this is a one day excursion, so no package deal on this trip. Will keep that in mind for future trips tho! I appreciate your advice!! :teeth:

#5 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

As Tex suggested, it's good to carry (roll-on) what you can, and you are actually allowed "one carry-on (roll-on) and one personal item" by most airlines. Your final authorities before arriving at the airport are the TSA and your particular airline web sites, with the latter varying a little between airlines - subject to change at the airport. My main airline uses 51 linear in or 130 cm (L+W+H) as a max unless traveling to India or the UK, with a 40# limit that is not really enforced if you can get the bag overhead yourself, and I bought the closest I could find to that at Walmart. It's good to put the items you consider most important in case of baggage delays or losses - and I've had a few over the 20+ yrs of extensive flying I've done, with each occurrence being a random gotcha event - could happen to you at any time. Even tho you don't own the most essential items, my first priorities for that would be..
  • Reg
  • Mask - regardless of prescription, as you want yours still, also inside a mask box
  • computer - bubble or clothes wrapper, alone with the guages
  • swim suit and a few pair of undies - clothes can be purchased with airline emergency money if needed
You want the mask inside the mask box, and I don't pack cameras in there unless inside an additional box, as you often have to gate-check the roll-on, exposing it to baggage handlers still. My cameras usually go inside my personal bag - a small back pack, along with my lap-top, meds, 3-1-1 bag, etc.

The 3-1-1 bag:If you are traveling with any liquid, gel or aerosol items, here's a few things you should remember...
  • Travelers departing the U.S. (don't know why they stuck that in there?) may bring carry-on bags through security and aboard the aircraft with trial-size toiletries (3.4 ounces or less) which can be purchased at any drug store.
  • Toiletries must fit comfortably in one, quart-size (7.5" x 8"), clear plastic zip-top bag. Zip-top bags will be provided if needed. (doesn't have to be zip-lock brand, altho there was some first day confusion over that :teeth: and I wouldn't count on the airline providing, but if you forget - get one at airline desk, not at security)
  • The zip-top bag may (probly) need to be presented separately at airport security so make sure it is easily accessible when you approach the screening area.
For checked bags, the DandyDon Luggage Solution is to take everything you think you may need, even if you have to pay $25 each way on a bag, but be careful about embargoes, times you may not pay extra for over weight bags. My airline's limits on check free bags is "2 Checked Bags: Maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) (total length + width + height) per piece."

The Armor #89 is a very good bag, very similar to one of mine - a predecessor, but save the box in case you need to return it for free warranty repair - with you paying the freight one way, but you might get the airline to pay those fees if you file a claim on arrival. It does not collapse, but it is a very good one. I had to return mine once after several trips, and when they didn't fix all the problems, I got them to pay the freight both ways on the second return. If I had this to do over, I wouldn't spend that much on the bag, tho. My second bag for non-liveaboards is a cheap, heavy-duty wheeled bag of about the same dimensions from Walmart (they're the only superstore close to me), and if something breaks on it, I'll replace it for little more than the shipping on an Armor bag - with the airline paying for it if I file a claim right away.

LatAd's advice on the rolling duffel is really a good idea, and I have an expensive Armor bag and a cheap Walmart bag like that, both. Wheels are very important, especially since Houston is not the only place that expects you to have your own weights - altho that is uncommon other than on the west coast. My cheap one failed me on a trip to Calf once, tho - spilling the weights I had in the corners, so I have leanred to poke holes in the canvas on either side of seams and reinforce the seams with cable ties. I'm telling you more than you wanted, probly - I get in those moods sometimes :cool2: but some of this may be usual. Like they say in AA meeting, "take what you like, and leave the rest. Oh, ok - maybe you never been to one. Anyway, it is good to carry a couple of 1# soft weights as even tho most charters do supply weights, you might find these handy for final trimming.

One know-it-all DM I know on the west coast ignored all my suggestions about roll-ons and arriving a day in advance of a liveaboard sailing on a trip I was one once, got delayed in a winter storm, just barely made the boat, borrowed clothes and equipment as needed, and who knows what she did for undies for the next 5 days. Caca happens, be prepared - ever been to a Boy Scout meeting?

With apologies to anyone with slow internet, here is the Armor #89...

Posted Image

Edited by DandyDon, 14 June 2007 - 05:49 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have a generic wheeled duffle from LL Bean that is great and just fits the luggage rules.

Do NOT buy a bag with dive labels or logos on it. Why advertise what might be in it.

My first wheeled duffle (which is still one I use often or lend out) cost $25 at KMart, has over 200,000 miles on it, and still works great! Sometimes cheaper is better. :cool1:

Also I would call to ask about weights on the boat. I have never needed to bring weights, they will mess up losts of stuff, but a weight belt, I have needed to bring.

#7 PiscesDiver

PiscesDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:18 PM

Thanks again to all of you for the great advice. It has certainly been helpful!!

Kimberley

#8 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

I've had a lot of luck with Stahlsac bags...plus they have great customer service.

http://www.stahlsac....ng_luggage.html

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:05 PM

I've had a lot of luck with Stahlsac bags...plus they have great customer service.

Ditto - I own two Stahlsac bags!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

Like Ellen says, "boys are stupid, throw rocks at them!" I always thought that was a strange name for a company until at BTS when I was working exibitor check in, duh, Stahl is his name! :cool1:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:22 AM

I have an Armor bag, sorry, I don't know which one. It is a semi collapsable duffle, with 2 main compartments, the bottom one has rigid sides and the main is soft. I like it because it is super heavy-duty, huge zippers adn buckles. The wheelbase is nice and wide so it won't roll on you, it saves your wrist...

There is a wet bag that comes with it to keep your wetsuit away from your dry stuff, not needed for travel per-se but may make this a better bag for 1 day trips as well.

Another nice feature is that there are stowable back-pack straps, so if the ground isn't good for rolling you can carry it on your back.

Been to Bonaire and back, aside from dirty wheels you'd never know it.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users