• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is Up With Airline Ticket Prices...?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:57 AM

I have been looking at airfares for the last 3 days for the trip to the Bahamas and am stumped how the airlines price out their tickets. I have been using Orbitz as it seems to give the best prices. When I first looked I found tickets for $506 US from Bangor to Georgetown with 2 hops on NWA. The next day, Wednesday, the same flight jumped to $596 and as of this morning it is $1169. :D

I understand how supply / demand and competition can affect prices, but I doubt this is a major factor in this case. Even if you see a decent price, you click on "Buy" and then see the price has just jumped $250 because of "technical reasons". This is like seeing a Big Mac costing $1.25 when you are at the back of the line and having them charge you $3.21 when you finally get to the counter.

If I was buying a ticket with 4 hours to flight time then I could see the increase, but there seems to be little consistency from day to day or even hour to hour in some cases.

Quite discouraging...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:56 AM

The airlines use formulas based upon PROJECTED supply and demand. When people starting hitting the 'buy button' on tickets yesterday they started climbing. They will most likely settle back out once the system realizes all seats won't fill in the next 48 hours.

However it is frustrating...I too started my booking at $500 and got it for $800+. But then I have to be there so I figured I'd better get it regardless. :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:13 AM

I think they also hope that some people will actually buy at the higher prices - then come back down when most usually don't. There are so few planes that go to GGT, and they're small ones - not many seats.

Orbitz seems to be infamous for increases when you hit the buy button, but they are a shopping resource. Sometimes they have bargains. I also use Sidestep as Que suggested on the discussion thread, and Travelocity - do the research, then go to the airline itself for a quote.

I don't think NWA actually has that route, as their site gave: "No Northwest Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, or codeshare partner flights were found between Bangor, ME (BGR) and George Town, Bahamas (GGT)." I think NWA code shares some with Delta and Continental, and the Orbitz computer just glitched. When I looked at routes for another member once, I found and posted on the old thread: "American, Northwest, Frontier and United don't really fly the route, but Expedia was going to get you out on them, then in on Continental - but with an overnight along the way - pretty lame."

Delta may be your best bet. Good luck on the fares going down... Posted Image
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 fairfield59

fairfield59

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:102

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

Try using kayak.com. It searches all the travel sites for you.

#5 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

Kayak and Sidestep give you decent prices, but when you click on the flight I keep getting the "Due to changing availability, the fare you selected is no longer available. Here's the lowest fare for your flight(s)." message... Then interestingly the price defaults to $921 for whatever flight I selected regardless of the web site (Cheaptickets, Orbitz, Expedia, etc). Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Looks like the same engine for all of them...

OMG, Hooters has their own airline...!? I guess thats one way to get people to watch the manual life vest inflation demo... :cool2:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#6 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:07 PM

Reminds me of the movie "Airplane" when the stewardess demonstrates the lifevest and it opens up to Donald Duck?

Kayak and Sidestep give you decent prices, but when you click on the flight I keep getting the "Due to changing availability, the fare you selected is no longer available. Here's the lowest fare for your flight(s)." message... Then interestingly the price defaults to $921 for whatever flight I selected regardless of the web site (Cheaptickets, Orbitz, Expedia, etc). Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Looks like the same engine for all of them...

OMG, Hooters has their own airline...!? I guess thats one way to get people to watch the manual life vest inflation demo... :cool2:

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#7 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Didn't Hooters go out?

At the moment, fares seem to be cheaper on different dates - almost $100 cheaper coming back on Monday, almost $200 cheaper if you come back on Tuesday. Everyone wants to leave on Saturday or Sunday - driving those fares up, as usual.

I do hope they come down for you - maybe by middle of next week. Or maybe early tomorrow morning after held inventories are released.

Odd, tho - my fare did not go up - that may it....?

Edited by DandyDon, 21 June 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#8 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

Shad, I'd like to help you out, and I took a closer look at this later. I can't even find any airline that will get you there and back in one day trips? :cheerleader:

Continental @ $855 inclusive seems to require an overnight in Ft.Lauderdale - so if you took that Friday night and arrived on the 2pm on Saturday, you should be okay. FtLauderdale doesn't get closed by winter storms, but dang - I like to see my luggage on the right island the day before sailing, but at least they have a backup flight arriving at 7pm. They also seem to require an overnight in Newark on the way back. This may be common living at the corner of the nation like you do? Also watch for very long same day layovers here, too.

American @ $972 looks like it can get you there in one day, with a tight connection either in LGA or MIA - I'd go for tight in LGA I think, so if I missed, I'd have a back up, but - AA only has one flight a day from MIA to GGT, and with that one flight turning around at 3pm - there seems to be an overnight on the way back.

Delta @ $712 inclusive requires an overnight in Atlanta each way - and that airport can get closed by winter weather. $712 is a lot less than $972, if you make it.

Sidestep @ $760 does suggest Delta to Atlanta, then Bahama Air at 6.20 am to arrive at 7am, and I'm sure Bahama has back up flights. Still have an overnight each way each way in Atlanta.

NWA and Bahama Air don't seem to serve the route, nor anyone else. You see a lot of BS rates on the searching sites when you're looking for fares - including non-existent schedules.

Well, I hope this has helped some - or helped eliminate some choices. Looks like American would be your best best, hoping the fare comes down next week. You might phone AA and word the question: "What is the lowest fare for that route if the codes were available??" Then discuss how likely to find a lower code.

Or maybe I missed something? Good luck...!!

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

Reminds me of this old story:
If The Airlines Sold Paint

Customer: Hi. How much is your paint?

Agent: Well, sir, that depends on quite a lot of things.

Customer: Can you give me a guess? Is there an average price?

Agent: Our lowest price is $15 a gallon, and we have 50 different prices up to $250 a gallon.

Customer: What’s the difference in paint?

Agent: Oh, there isn’t any difference; it’s all the same.

Customer: Well, then I’d like some of the $15 paint.

Agent: When do you intend to paint?

Customer: I want to pain tomorrow, it’s my day off.

Agent: Sir, the paint for tomorrow is the $250 paint.

Customer: When would I have to paint to get the $15 paint?

Agent: You would have to start very late at night in about two weeks. But you will have to agree to start painting before Friday of that week and continue painting until at least Sunday.

Customer: You have got to be kidding?

Agent: I’ll check to see if we have any paint available.

Customer: You have shelves full of paint! I can see it!

Agent: But that doesn’t mean that we have paint available. We sell only a certain number on any given weekend. Oh, and by the way, the price per gallon just went to $18. We don’t have any more $15 paint.

Customer: The price went up as we were talking?

Agent: Yes, sir. We change the prices and rules hundreds of times a day, and since you haven’t actually walked out of the store with your paint yet, we just decided to change. I suggest you purchase your paint as soon as possible. How many gallons do you want?

Customer: Well, maybe five gallons. Make it six, so I’ll have enough.

Agent: Oh, no, sir, you can’t do that. If you buy paint and don’t use it, there are penalties and possible confiscation of the paint you already have.

Customer: WHAT?

Agent: We can sell enough paint to do your kitchen, bathroom, hall and north bedroom, but if you stop painting before you do the bedroom, you will lose your remaining gallons of paint.

Customer: What does it matter whether I use all the paint? I already paid you for it!

Agent: We make plans based upon the idea that all our paint is used, every drop. If you don’t, it causes us all sorts of problems.

Customer: This is crazy! I suppose something terrible happens if I don’t keep painting until after Saturday night?

Agent: Oh yes! Every gallon you bought automatically becomes the $250 paint.

Customer: But what are all these “Paint on sale from $12 a gallon” signs?

Agent: Well that’s for our budget paint. It only comes in half-gallons. One $6 half-gallon will do half a room. The second half-gallon to complete the room is $20. None of the cans have labels, some are empty, and there are no refunds, even on the empty cans.

Customer: To hell with this! I’ll buy what I need somewhere else!

Agent: I don’t think so, sir. You may be able to buy paint for your bathroom and bedrooms, and your kitchen and dining room from someone else, but you won’t be able to paint your connecting hall and stairway from anyone but us. And I should point out, sir, that if you paint in only one direction, it will be $350 a gallon.

Customer: I thought your most expensive paint was $250?

Agent: That’s if you paint around the room and back to the point at which you started. A hallway is different.

Customer: And if I buy $250 paint for the hall, but only paint in one direction, you’ll confiscate the remaining paint.

Agent: No, we’ll charge you an extra usage fee plus the difference on your next gallon of paint. But I believe you’re getting it now, sir.

Customer: You’re insane!

Agent: Thanks for painting with us!

In the airline world, a new kind of paint store is revolutionizing the way people paint. If the big carriers don’t catch on in time, it could make the world of paint thinner.

Considering who I work for (a major airline) it could make me thinner as well.

If Airlines Sold Paint is printed with permission. Copyright Alan H. Hess, 1998. All rights reserved.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Oh, and check this article out:
http://www.technolog.../Biztech/18447/
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

For $1,000 - you should be able to take a water taxi all the way down... :)

#12 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

Also, you really don't want to book on the weekends, between Friday and Monday always seem to be the highest prices. Tuesday evening and Wed mornings are often the cheapest for some reason.
When I was booking my flight to Belize I was running into a similar situation. The really wierd thing was, I was flying Delta all the way and yet I could not book a ticket with Delta. Either direct or on line with Delta.com, yet I could and did book a delta flight on Travelocity. I have found that if you book the trip in smaller segments you can quite often get a better price. I knocked $400 off of the Belize trip by booking a ticket from home to Salt Lake City to Atlanta, then booking a whole separate ticket from Atlanta to Belize. All of the tickets where on Delta.
Sometimes it really takes a lot of digging around and also checking the prices several times a day and night.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#13 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Good point, Parrotman. That's called "breaking the fare" in the industry, or was - but so often I forget it.

Shad posted on the trip thread that he found an acceptable fare on a good itinerary, so he's covered.

#14 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:42 AM

Also, you really don't want to book on the weekends, between Friday and Monday always seem to be the highest prices. Tuesday evening and Wed mornings are often the cheapest for some reason.
When I was booking my flight to Belize I was running into a similar situation. The really wierd thing was, I was flying Delta all the way and yet I could not book a ticket with Delta. Either direct or on line with Delta.com, yet I could and did book a delta flight on Travelocity. I have found that if you book the trip in smaller segments you can quite often get a better price. I knocked $400 off of the Belize trip by booking a ticket from home to Salt Lake City to Atlanta, then booking a whole separate ticket from Atlanta to Belize. All of the tickets where on Delta.
Sometimes it really takes a lot of digging around and also checking the prices several times a day and night.

Jim

Jim, On your segmented 2 ticket flights to Belize, did you have to claim your bags at baggage claim and then reintroduce them into the system? I usually don't breaking my flights into segments. I'll look into it next transit.
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#15 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Jim

Jim, On your segmented 2 ticket flights to Belize, did you have to claim your bags at baggage claim and then reintroduce them into the system? I usually don't breaking my flights into segments. I'll look into it next transit.
Stan

Stan,

Yes, I have to claim baggage and re check. Usually not a problem since there is frequently a long layover with this sort of thing. It can be a drag but one thing I have found is that my bags almost never get delayed becuase the second leg of the trip is usually direct and you are not leaving it up to the airlines to transfer you bags.

I'm flying to Bonaire in August from Portland for $453 because I split up my flights. I'm using some miles for a domestic leg and then paying for part of it. To use all miles it would have cost me 90k miles. To pay for the whole thing would have been well over $1000 but doing it this way worked out pretty cheap.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users