• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Thailand late 2008 or early 2009....NOW AN SD OFFERING!!!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

...begins with a single step...

I am in the opening stages of planning a trip to Thailand at some point in 2008. I have never been and would love to get down there. I was thinking a minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks to make the trip worth while and thought others here may be interested. I would like to go for a longer time, but the university will not let me go for any longer than 2 weeks at a time. :lmao:

I currently have no dates, no destination (beyond the country) and no firm plans except I would like to get in as much diving as possible. A live aboard will certainly give a lot of variety, but a resort (or two depending on where we want to travel) may do the same thing.

Any suggestions, comments or past experiences you can provide would be great. I am looking for a quality trip with reasonable comforts. If I can find a small, but motivated group to go with me then life gets sweet indeed. However, I don't mind going alone either... :P

:wakawaka:

UPDATE NOVEMBER 2007:

Shadragon's wish is coming true...well hopefully it is! SingleDivers.com is looking to do Thailand as an SD trip in either late fall 2008 or early winter 2009. Please let us know if anyone is interested! We'd be looking at doing both land based and a short liveaboard along with sightseeing to maximize the culture, diving and total experience! -ww

Edited by WreckWench, 08 November 2007 - 03:58 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:55 AM

I went to Thailand last year in March and it was totally awesome. We went on the Mermaid II liveaboard. Honestly to get to the remote spots and take advantage of all of the diving, your best bet is a livaboard. We didn't get a chance to do too much land-based excursions but we did spend an entire day in Bangkok. Also, you have some land time in Phuket before boarding the boat so we went to a rain forest and rode and elephant.

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

I went to Thailand last year in March and it was totally awesome. We went on the Mermaid II liveaboard. Honestly to get to the remote spots and take advantage of all of the diving, your best bet is a livaboard.

Here is the link to it I think:

http://www.mermaid-liveaboards.com
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

Yep. And here's the itinerary. Mermaid II
In one day, we saw 2 whale sharks and a manta. It was Doris' (Ariesno1) birthday. Couldn't have asked for a better birthday present.

#5 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

...begins with a single step...

I am in the opening stages of planning a trip to Thailand at some point in 2008. I have never been and would love to get down there. I was thinking a minimum of 10 days to 2 weeks to make the trip worth while and thought others here may be interested. I would like to go for a longer time, but the university will not let me go for any longer than 2 weeks at a time. :birthday:

I currently have no dates, no destination (beyond the country) and no firm plans except I would like to get in as much diving as possible. A live aboard will certainly give a lot of variety, but a resort (or two depending on where we want to travel) may do the same thing.

Any suggestions, comments or past experiences you can provide would be great. I am looking for a quality trip with reasonable comforts. If I can find a small, but motivated group to go with me then life gets sweet indeed. However, I don't mind going alone either... :birthday:

:-D

If you are going to Thailand, you must not miss Chang Mai and a 2/3 day trek in the rainforests. then head to ko Tao/Ko Samui wonderful diving on East side - fly West to Phuket then ferry over to Ko Phi Phi. It is HEAVEN ON EARTH and where "The Beach" was filmed. i did my rescue course/deep speciality there. Wonderful wall diving. sharks every dive - (leopard and reef) For liveaboard, I'd head for the Similan Islands for a farewell liveaboard/dive safari for mantas and bigger stuff.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#6 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

This coming November will be my seventh trip to Thailand, and the Similan Islands. In a nutshell, it's wonderful. Best time to go is November thru March. Spend at least 2 weeks. Great diving, spicy food, and all at a very reasonable cost. The only thing that's expensive is the airfare. I've always used the same liveaboard - go to www.jonathancruiser.com . Plan on spending a few nights in Bangkok coming and going (no pun intended) and the remainder in or about Phuket. There is good local diving in Phuket, and some wonderful small islands just a ferry boat ride away such as Koh Phi Phi. You won't be disappointed.

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 08:30 PM

Please do post the results of your research, shadragon. I'm interested in Thailand as well (especially since it's so close :) ).

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

Please do post the results of your research, shadragon. I'm interested in Thailand as well (especially since it's so close :) ).

Will do. I plan on making the most of this trip as I suspect I will not be getting down there often. I think a resort / liveaboard combo would work best for the time frame I have. Keep those suggestions coming...!

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:18 AM

Since I have family headed to Hong Kong shortly and the summer Olmpics are slated for Beijing in '08, that is part of my vacation plans for next year. I have considered heading to Phuket as part of my trip, but will only have a day or two likely before having to head back. Keep me posted!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 pugslover

pugslover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:39 AM

I'm very interested as well! but i need couple months notice so i can plan around work. If anyone wants to travel to southern part of China, like Yunan, Tibet, I'm up for it too. :thankyou:

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Shadragon, book with SD travel and we'll save you money! We typically can beat any deal you can find, simple as that. Booking through SD travel also helps our booking credit which allows us to continue to obtain great fares, so it's a win/win for all!

Let us know what you decide you and anyone else interested want to do.

Not sure that SD we can do a Thailand group trip in 2008 as we have Wakatobi in October, but here's another idea for you. Many have suggested for those who can travel longer to add Thailand onto the Wakatobi trip!! Then again, there is also the world tour trip for 2009 that has been talked about.

So many tempting options... :tears:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

Not sure that SD we can do a Thailand group trip in 2008 as we have Wakatobi in October, but here's another idea for you. Many have suggested for those who can travel longer to add Thailand onto the Wakatobi trip!! Then again, there is also the world tour trip for 2009 that has been talked about.

No worries, you are first on the travel booking list, but I can only do a dive trip every 6 months or so because of time limitations. Wakatobi did catch my eye, but there is no way I can do that then the NY Bahamas liveaboard. My boss would throw a fit if I even mentioned it. Plus, I need to keep some time for my outdoor club and their 5 day backpack trip in Newfoundland in the fall. ~sigh~

I have Bonaire, Thailand, Vegas, Japan on my schedule for 2008 plus wherever the Singles week is. And it is still only half way through 2007...! ~sigh~

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

No worries, you are first on the travel booking list, but I can only do a dive trip every 6 months or so because of time limitations. Wakatobi did catch my eye, but there is no way I can do that then the NY Bahamas liveaboard. My boss would throw a fit if I even mentioned it. Plus, I need to keep some time for my outdoor club and their 5 day backpack trip in Newfoundland in the fall. ~sigh~

I have Bonaire, Thailand, Vegas, Japan on my schedule for 2008 plus wherever the Singles week is. And it is still only half way through 2007...! ~sigh~

Wakatobi is in the second half of 2008 (October) so you should be able to plan for that! I'm sure we can work with your 6 month timeframes too....

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

Wakatobi is in the second half of 2008 (October) so you should be able to plan for that! I'm sure we can work with your 6 month timeframes too....

Well, that changes things... If it is 2008 then that makes it doable... :tears:

#15 Kuraman

Kuraman

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Over 1000 now, quit logging and quit counting

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:29 AM

Everything I read on this thread about Thailand is spot on. I used to go there 2-3 times a year to dive, bot liveaboards and shore-based. Definitely do a liveaboard to the Similans, Richelieu Rock. There is a great weekend trip out of Phuket to Koh Phi Phi, and most dive shops offer it. You will get some great dives on the way over, spend the night on Koh Phi Phi, and different dives on the way back. Definitely do the King Cruiser (wreck) and Anemone Reef if you are just going to do day trips.
Formerly known as "DixieDiver25" but changed for a nice donation to SingleDivers.com. Kuraman means 'Turtle Man".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users