• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why Must Some Sharks Remain In Motion And Not Others?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

I had a particularly good view of a Dogfish (small shark) the other day. Usually they are moving too fast for me to observe little details.

I noticed that there appeared to be some type of sensor or moveable flap above and to the rear of the eye. It was only about 1/8th of an inch/square.

Consulting my ID books I learned that this is called a Spiracle. It's present in some sharks and Rays/Skates.

As we know some sharks must be in constant motion in order to move water through the gills to oxygenate the shark's blood. Some sharks don't have to keep moving. This much I knew but I didn't know why some didn't have to keep moving. Some have a Spiracle and some don't (there may be other reasons as well).

When the Dogfish decides to quit moving and rest the Spiracles open and force water through the gills.

So through my curiousity I learned what that flap that I observed was and also learned something that I hadn't expected...why sharks that are able to remain at rest are able to remain at rest.

Hopefully, someone else will find this interesting :cheerleader:

#2 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

Interesting! :cheerleader:

I was watching David Suzuki's The Nature of Things a short while ago and the topic was Wild Caribbean: Reefs and Wrecks. Nursesharks were mentioned as being one of, or the only, shark that is able to remain still for prolonged periods of time. (I guess based on your research, they're not the only ones though...)

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

Facinating information.
I will have to do a bit more research on the Dogfish.

Thanks for sharing.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:10 AM

Interesting! :D

I was watching David Suzuki's The Nature of Things a short while ago and the topic was Wild Caribbean: Reefs and Wrecks. Nursesharks were mentioned as being one of, or the only, shark that is able to remain still for prolonged periods of time. (I guess based on your research, they're not the only ones though...)

I don't know how long prolonged is but in addition to Dogfish I have also seen Sixgill sharks resting on the bottom although it's usually the smaller ones in the 6 foot range.

Edited by gcbryan, 01 July 2007 - 01:41 AM.

#5 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:32 AM

The things ya pick up on SD.com. Great information.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:06 AM

Why Must Some Humans Remain In Motion And Not Others?, The anwer is...
I had a particularly good view of a Couch Potato (Large) the other day.
I noticed that there appeared to be some type of TV remote in one hand and chips in the other
As we know some humans must be in constant motion in order to move o2 through the gills to oxygenate the blood.
Apparently Couch Potatos move air by yelling at the TV
So through my curiousity I learned what that remote that I observed was and also learned something that I hadn't expected...why humans that are able to remain at rest are able to remain at rest.

Hopefully, someone else will find this interesting :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:53 AM

I noticed that there appeared to be some type of TV remote in one hand and chips in the other
As we know some humans must be in constant motion in order to move o2 through the gills to oxygenate the blood.
So through my curiousity I learned what that remote that I observed was and also learned something that I hadn't expected...why humans that are able to remain at rest are able to remain at rest.

There's got to be a connection here. Maybe some sharks are watching too much T.V.

Seriously though, I'm having some difficulty visualizing the little flap that GCBRYAN is talking about.

If anyone can get a picture of it, post it.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

There's got to be a connection here. Maybe some sharks are watching too much T.V.

Seriously though, I'm having some difficulty visualizing the little flap that GCBRYAN is talking about.

If anyone can get a picture of it, post it.

I don't see an option to attach pictures but if you go to:

http://www.elasmodiv.....Quadra 87.jpg

you will see a slit slightly above and anterior to the eye. You might need to copy the picture and enlarge it a bit.

Edited by gcbryan, 01 July 2007 - 12:35 PM.

#9 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

I like your writting style!

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hopefully, someone else will find this interesting :cool2:

I like your writting style!

That's the CDNN school of writing, take someone else's work, change a word and take credit for the whole story!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

That's awesome!

At one time I devoured everything I could on sharks. I took a few years off for the Army, then I got sidetracked with herpetology. Now I am back full on with sharks and marine biology, and there is so much new stuff out there.

Well, I learned something new today...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users