• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Obsesive Compulsive Disorder

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Charity6262

Charity6262

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:9

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

I have just be diagnosed with OCD (Obsesive Compulsive Disorder) and I was just wondering if anyone else on here has it and how does it affect your dive. Mine is not to bad I mean I am not washing my hands every 2 seconds but I do have to have everything straight and in its place and it bothers me so bad when my brother has one sock on and one off (I know i am wierd). Anyway anyone else have it and does it bother you when you dive I haven't been since the diagnosis.

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

I had OCD but it was a mild form. Actually, it had its advantages... it made me a better employee because I focused so much on the details of projects, as well as a good financial analyst. However, when I started taking meds two decades ago for a related condition, I lost some of the more OC aspects. I know some whose lives were made very difficult by it.

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

Frankly, it would make me quite nervous having an OCD dive buddy. The primary risk, as near as I can tell, is the propensity to become focused on one thing far more than should happen. So the ability to abstract a problem and handle more than one thing, rather than becoming task focused, would seem to be lost.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:24 AM

I think my OCD of trying to stay wet with salt water is common on this board :banghead:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

I think my OCD of trying to stay wet with salt water is common on this board :banghead:

Unfortunately, I think you're quite right.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

As long as it doesn't stop you from having a normal life, it can be an advantage to a diver. You know your mix is right for the dive. You plan out how much gas you'll need for the dive. You are an attentive buddy. Your gear is all in perfect working order. All the things about which Perrone frequently reminds us. I know I have a touch of OCD, but at least I'm not worrying over hose length, etc.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

Frankly, it would make me quite nervous having an OCD dive buddy. The primary risk, as near as I can tell, is the propensity to become focused on one thing far more than should happen. So the ability to abstract a problem and handle more than one thing, rather than becoming task focused, would seem to be lost.

There are varying levels of OCD, Perrone Ford. I agree there are some cases I would not want to buddy up with, but others can be very safe buddies... certainly safer than a lot of testosterone-driven buddies who just motor on without recognizing they have a buddy (one reason I prefer female buddies).

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:48 AM

There are varying levels of OCD, Perrone Ford. I agree there are some cases I would not want to buddy up with, but others can be very safe buddies... certainly safer than a lot of testosterone-driven buddies who just motor on without recognizing they have a buddy (one reason I prefer female buddies).

Understand and agree. However, there is too much generalizing going on, including from me. All OCD divers are not prone to becoming task focused obviously. Though I would suspect some are. All male buddies are not testosterone driven, and all female buddies are not necessarily, buddy oriented.

As Walter mentioned, having a buddy who is both safety oriented, and somewhat compulsive about having all gear in order, can be a benefit. I suppose it's when it becomes overwhelming that it could be problematic. If I am on a dive, and my regulator starts to free-flow, I don't want my buddy to become task focused on it. Solve the problem, move on. I guess that is my worry. Maybe unfounded.

#9 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 10 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

A mild case of OCD isn't such a bad disorder to have if you can put it to good use...
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

There is a difference between a personality type and a disease. The person who is obsessive in style can turn out to be a great diver. This person tends to follow all of the proper procedures, maintains his/her gear properly, and constantly strives to improve over the course of a diving career.

The person who gets tunnel vision about unimportant things can become a danger to him/herself and others around during a dive. So, if you have issues that are this severe, you would tend to focus on things like bubbles not coming out of your exhaust tee evenly from both sides while ignoring the fact that you are running out of breathing gas.

Disabilities can sometimes be advantages. Learn more about your condition, and then follow up with professionals having knowledge of your disorder and diving that can help you decide if diving is something that is right for you.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 OHDiver

OHDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:00 AM

As long as it doesn't stop you from having a normal life, it can be an advantage to a diver. You know your mix is right for the dive. You plan out how much gas you'll need for the dive. You are an attentive buddy. Your gear is all in perfect working order. All the things about which Perrone frequently reminds us. I know I have a touch of OCD, but at least I'm not worrying over hose length, etc.

:cheerleader:
Karen~

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

#12 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

There is a difference between a personality type and a disease. The person who is obsessive in style can turn out to be a great diver. This person tends to follow all of the proper procedures, maintains his/her gear properly, and constantly strives to improve over the course of a diving career.

The person who gets tunnel vision about unimportant things can become a danger to him/herself and others around during a dive. So, if you have issues that are this severe, you would tend to focus on things like bubbles not coming out of your exhaust tee evenly from both sides while ignoring the fact that you are running out of breathing gas.

Absolutely. My best friend is OCD, and pretty much his whole family is also. His chosen hobby is fishing, he is very detail oriented, misses nothing, and maintains his gear to near perfection. The collection of things on his dresser have to be placed just "so", and of course I rearange them every chance I get :welcome:

His sister for a while had a problem of constantly checking her parking brake while driving, sometimes not paying attention to where the car was pointed. Never had an accident but could have...

I am OCD about my air supply. I check it continuously. It doesn't take away from my enjoyment of diving, or keep me from noticing other issues that arise at depth, and if something requires my attention I can deal with that. I can tell you that I have never once been surprised by what my SPG reads when I look at it, because it is very close to what it was the last time I checked :-D

I can't think of any other situation in my life that fits OCD pattern except for that. Well, except for checking the date on that one calender my brother gave me for my 16th birthday :D
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#13 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

I personally think everyone is OCD to some point. My entire family has OCD traits. Mine is I can't walk into a room without counting how many lines it takes to form it, windows,walls,doorways, ect. My mothers is whenever she is on tile she counts how many she steps on. I think if you pay attention to yourself more everyone will find a few traits. Just a theory, but everyone I have asked said they noticed things like this. If you can't stop doing it and it is automatic then it's OC. As long as it doesn't seriously interfer with your life don't worry about it. Here is one. Most men upon entering a room either consiously or not will assess threats in a room. Everyone I know that is ex military or still active does this.
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#14 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Most men upon entering a room either consciously or not will assess threats in a room. Everyone I know that is ex military or still active does this.

Add making mental notes of exit locations as well...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#15 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Most men upon entering a room either consciously or not will assess threats in a room. Everyone I know that is ex military or still active does this.

Add making mental notes of exit locations as well...

I think that is a firefighter thing. I always have to know two ways out.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users