• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dry Tortugas July 9-13, 2008 (Travel Day July 8th & 14th)

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

#541 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

I know WW is out there diving or headed to Key West...but I have a last minute question I hope someone can answer ... I'm arriving at the Key West airport Tuesday afternoon (or whenever I make the connection and it lands from FLL). Should I look for someone from SD there or just find my way to taxi/ or other transport? (I believe I gave my flight info on one of the surveys).

Thanks!

There are only a couple of people flying in. Keith aka MNJoe will arrive at 3:24 pm, Robert aka robert in Denver arrives at 4:15 pm, and you arrive at 3:48, so perhaps the three of you can meet and share a taxi.

Charles offered some great info based on his recent experience:

Now here is some helpful information about the day you board the boat for the first time:

You CAN go to the dock where the boat is as early as NOON and drop your stuff on the dock but NOT on the boat. There will be no scheming to get a better bunk by being first there.

Here is a suggested activity day based on what time you arrive.

1) When your flight arrives (after 1200) ask your cab driver to take you to the Spree at Robbie's Marina at the end of Shrimp Road on Stock Island.

2) Ask the cabbie to wait while you unload your gear and then you want to go to the Hog Fish Bar (one of Capt Frank's favs). Now when you see where you are dropping your gear you might fear its safety - but it is SAFE there on the dock. There is a chance the Spree might be away refueling when you get there - if that happens you should see a huge white yacht next to Spree's Dock. Just ask around if Spree is gone (small window of time).

3) Head to the Hog Fish - note where Rusty Anchor is on your way to HF - cause you are going to walk back to it.

4) Hang out at the Hogfish for a few cocktails or spend the afternoon there waiting until dinner time. At about 4:45 start walking the half mile back to the Rusty Anchor (if you can't walk a half mile you are not fit to dive) for your 5:30 Briefing and dinner.

5) Relax there is good AC at the RA and they have a SET menu there for all going on the trip. Just let the staff know you are with the Spree and they will point you in the right direction.

6) Have your meet and greet and then climb in the back of the pick up truck and head back to the boat. It is then you get to rush the boat looking for the best rack.

#542 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I know WW is out there diving or headed to Key West...but I have a last minute question I hope someone can answer ... I'm arriving at the Key West airport Tuesday afternoon (or whenever I make the connection and it lands from FLL). Should I look for someone from SD there or just find my way to taxi/ or other transport? (I believe I gave my flight info on one of the surveys).

Thanks!

There are only a couple of people flying in. Keith aka MNJoe will arrive at 3:24 pm, Robert aka robert in Denver arrives at 4:15 pm, and you arrive at 3:48, so perhaps the three of you can meet and share a taxi.

Thanks for confirming you have my flight information. The information about what is included says if you have our flight information that transfers from the airport are free. Is that information wrong?

#543 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

I land about 3:15 Tuesday on the puddle jumper from Miami--maybe we can all cab it from the airport to the dock to the bar. Beats having to pay for it all by yourself.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#544 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for confirming you have my flight information. The information about what is included says if you have our flight information that transfers from the airport are free. Is that information wrong?

Yes. Sorry, I didn't realize transfers were included in this trip, unlike Houston. I've got a call in to Kamala. I will either post in the thread or call you when I hear back.

• Transfers from the Rusty Anchor restaurant or the Key West Airport INCLUDED!

#545 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks!

Yes. Sorry, I didn't realize transfers were included in this trip, unlike Houston. I've got a call in to Kamala. I will either post in the thread or call you when I hear back.

Thanks for checking. I'm just not sure when I will really arrive since my connection is tight and I'm noticing delays on these flights on both airlines in the past couple days (checking flight status online for these routes). Will there be a way for me to contact someone via cellphone if something goes awry on Tuesday?

#546 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:40 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for checking. I'm just not sure when I will really arrive since my connection is tight and I'm noticing delays on these flights on both airlines in the past couple days (checking flight status online for these routes). Will there be a way for me to contact someone via cellphone if something goes awry on Tuesday?

Sandy,

Delta has altered my flight plans. I will not arrive in Key West until 4:43 tomorrow.

Keith

aka MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#547 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

Thanks!

Sandy,

Delta has altered my flight plans. I will not arrive in Key West until 4:43 tomorrow.

Keith

aka MNJoe

Hi Heidi, Keith, and Robert :thankyou:

Mrs. Wenchie, Jeff, Butch and I are in a van driving down from North Carolina right now. Please call me on my cellular before the last leg of your flight departure with your estimated arrival time. We should be in key West by then and will come pick you up at the airport and transport you to the dinner at the Rusty Anchor. If you are delayed, the boat will wait for you so no worries.

Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow,
Que :D

Edited by ScubaPunk, 07 July 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#548 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:11 AM

Thanks!

Sandy,

Keith

aka MNJoe

Mrs. Wenchie, Jeff, Butch and I are in a van driving down from North Carolina right now. Please call me on my cellular before the last leg of your flight departure with your estimated arrival time. We should be in key West by then and will come pick you up at the airport and transport you to the dinner at the Rusty Anchor. If you are delayed, the boat will wait for you so no worries.

Thanks Que. I'm taking your phone number off the board, and I will send it to Keith Roert and Heidi.

Edited by ScubaPunk, 07 July 2008 - 08:13 AM.

#549 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

Thanks!

Sandy,

Keith

aka MNJoe

Edited by ScubaPunk, 07 July 2008 - 08:12 AM.

#550 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :thankyou:

#551 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

:thankyou:

Okay, all set!

Thank You!!

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#552 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

I didn't use their transfer because I had a rental car for the four days I was in the Keys prior to the Boat Meeting. So I returned my car back to the airport and jumped in a cab and it was like $10 or something like that.

So if you don't want to wait -- just drop a $10'er and get on to the party.
Signature under construction :)

#553 RobMotoColo

RobMotoColo

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:398 as of 2020

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

See you there, Que ... thanks for the lift!
If everything holds, my flight arrives 4:15PM from West Palm Beach. My connections shouldn't be a problem.

ScubaPunk, if you e-mailed me Que's cell number, I haven't received that.

Thanks, Robert

#554 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

If everything holds, my flight arrives 4:15PM from West Palm Beach. My connections shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, Robert

Robert,

I PM'ed you the message ScubaPunk sent me. Hopefully it went through. :thankyou:

#555 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, Robert

Sorry. I got distracted. I just emailed it to you.

Edited by ScubaPunk, 07 July 2008 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users