• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Long Distance Relationships

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: My Max Dating Distance Is... (23 member(s) have cast votes)

I Would Not Date Someone Further Away Than...

1. 10 Miles (18 Kilometers) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 25 Miles (46 Kilometers) (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. 50 Miles (93 Kilometers) (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. 75 Miles (139 Kilometers) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 100 Miles (185 Kilometers) (2 votes [8.70%])

6. 200 Miles (370 Kilometers) (2 votes [8.70%])

7. 300 Miles (555 Kilometers) (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. 400 Miles (740 Kilometers) (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 500 Miles (926 Kilometers) (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

10. 1000 Miles (1852 Kilometers) (0 votes [0.00%])

11. >1000 Miles - Does not matter how far... (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

Here is a simple question and one that has been discussed on the periphery of other threads.

What is your cut-off distance for maintaining a relationship?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Here is a simple question and one that has been discussed on the periphery of other threads.

What is your cut-off distance for maintaining a relationship?

Thanks for posting this poll. Recently, this was an issue with me as well. I'm curious what the general consenses is.

Edited by Moose, 29 August 2007 - 06:46 AM.

Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#3 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

Iwish I knew the answer to this one. Or at least could honestly saythat I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth if necessary. Cause I'll never know how far I will or won't go. Of course I do love to travel and that's as good an excuse as any. HUH!!!
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#4 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

Dan and I were approximately 3500 miles apart........which breaks down to a 3 1/2 hour plane ride and lots of emails and phone calls - and determination!! :P
Known puker

#5 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

And max congrats to you and Dan darlin' for quite literally "going the distance"!

True love knows no boundaries.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

While I didn't used to think LDRs could work, given that George and I, until these past couple of weeks, spanned the continent from one another, I must confess that distance is not an issue with the right person. I think, however, different continents could become wearing - at least we were located on the same general land mass! :P

#7 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:37 AM

I have no idea how far is too far.
I agree with Michelle ~ with the right person you both somehow find a way to make it work.

Edited by gis_gal, 29 August 2007 - 09:38 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

While I didn't used to think LDRs could work, given that George and I, until these past couple of weeks, spanned the continent from one another, I must confess that distance is not an issue with the right person. I think, however, different continents could become wearing - at least we were located on the same general land mass! :P

Agree.

I've tried relationships on different continents (USA and Asia), but they didn't work. Might have if I were an investment banker instead of a dive bum. Oh, wait... SHE was an investment banker.

#9 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

My opinion is that, with email, web-cams, cell phones and all the other technology, if two people have feelings for each other and have the money to travel to spend quality time together every few months, then no where is too far.

If, on the other hand, neither one can afford to pay for flights to see eachother or one can't afford it and the other can't pay for that person, then "internet dating' can only last so long, and this isn't because of the "S" word. It's just that if two people never meet or never see eachother in my opinion it doesn't seem real, and for me, things that don't seem real aren't worth wasting my time on.

Also, if I am living in a city that I want to live in, I don't want to do the LDR because I am where I want or wish to be- but when I am in a geographical location I'd like to get the hell out of, then I am more open to having a LDR with someone located where I want to move- it's never happened, but that's how I think it is for me.

But, if you meet someone, and there is no communication (i.e. phone calls, emails, web-cam or face-to-face), it doesn't matter if he lived around the corner!

I'd rather date a guy that lived on another continent if we communicated almost daily with say a web-cam, then a guy in the same city if we only spoke (seen eachother) once a month.

But I would never do a LDR for years- no matter how much I thought I loved someone- one of us would have to eventually move, or move on.

Edited by Jellyfishluv, 29 August 2007 - 10:41 AM.

:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#10 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

I voted <25miles

however, I have, some time ago, traveled 112 and even 170 miles one way to maintain a relationship.

- on a side note, I did have an extended tour on active duty tdy which had a ltr stretched to about 900 miles away.

not worth it IMHO.

that is of course, as far as dating goes.

I like touch, so anything greater than 25 miles seems to far for me (drive times and fuel costs)
you can't just stop by or do something spontaneous w/o any detailed planing.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#11 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

<<<STUFF DELETED TO SAVE SPACE>>>

But I would never do a LDR for years- no matter how much I thought I loved someone- one of us would have to eventually move, or move on.

Touche! This is the most concise, and perfect response to LDRs I have read.
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#12 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

I agree with the majority here that if you meet the right person distance is not really an issue as long as both parties agree to work together on overcoming that little detail. I don't really think the same continent thing really matters once you have spanned a certain distance....a long flight is just that whether it is over land or over water. I think when you do meet the right person, those little details like being attached to where you live become minor or non-existant....you become more concerned with how to close the distance rather than with who closes the distance. :P
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#13 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:52 PM

I agree with the majority here that if you meet the right person distance is not really an issue as long as both parties agree to work together on overcoming that little detail. ...you become more concerned with how to close the distance rather than with who closes the distance. :cheerleader:

I agree with this -- people who want to be together will find a method of doing so.

Besides, isn't overcoming mutual obstacles part of growing closer in a relationship?

PlatypusMan

#14 tcih2o

tcih2o

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:nitrox and rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:30 PM

I agree with the majority here that if you meet the right person distance is not really an issue as long as both parties agree to work together on overcoming that little detail. I don't really think the same continent thing really matters once you have spanned a certain distance....a long flight is just that whether it is over land or over water. I think when you do meet the right person, those little details like being attached to where you live become minor or non-existant....you become more concerned with how to close the distance rather than with who closes the distance. :cheerleader:

I agree in principle with this but it is a lot harder to do than say. Living in the Caribbean I have had a few LDR's that didn't work out. I guess I just need to find a woman that think like the great ones here at SD.

#15 Bubbles

Bubbles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:47 PM

It’s really hard to quantify the distance until you are actually placed into that situation. I don’t think anybody purposely tries to meet somebody who is geographically undesirable. Sometimes it just happens, and when it does, it’s up to both parties to decide whether or not to persue a long distance relationship. If there are feelings and a mutual attraction, then the distance really doesn’t matter to me.

I do agree with Jellyfishluv about how technology makes a huge difference these days. With cell phones, especially the “friends & family” type plans, you can talk for hours everyday and not worry about high phone bills. Plus with email, there’s no reason why you can’t keep the communication lines open and flowing. Truthfully I communicate more with people who are a 1,000 or more miles away from me than I do with some folks who live right here in Birmingham!

Anyway, it all boils down to flexibility, because if the relationship continues for a long period of time, eventually somebody is going to have to move, or the relationship will need to end.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users