• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving at Shark River Inlet

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:41 PM

I heard through the grapevine there might be some people diving there this weekend. Is that true?

#2 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 06 September 2007 - 01:07 PM

I heard through the grapevine there might be some people diving there this weekend. Is that true?

I'm hopeing to be doing a night dive Sunday Night with BubbleBoy for his Night Diver class in the Back Bay. You're welcome to join us.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

I'm going to try for Friday evening at A street, Saturday I have a family picnic and Sunday evening the weather forecast is a bit iffy depending on who you listen to.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

What time? Will I be able to drag myself into work the next day? :cheerleader:

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

I think Sunday's high slack tide will be around 7:21 pm
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

Signed and Dated

#6 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

I think Sunday's high slack tide will be around 7:21 pm

Yes thats why I need to do Sunday Night since it is a Night Diver Class. Hopefully the weather will permit.

#7 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

I'm hopeing to be doing a night dive Sunday Night with BubbleBoy for his Night Diver class in the Back Bay. You're welcome to join us.

So Bob, what is the address of the place we are going to meet. Shall I plan to get there about 7:00 p.m.?

FB - you should definitely come join us. We won't keep you up too late. There may be another couple coming too that I dove with at Dutch Springs last Monday.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#8 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:11 PM

So Bob, what is the address of the place we are going to meet. Shall I plan to get there about 7:00 p.m.?

FB - you should definitely come join us. We won't keep you up too late. There may be another couple coming too that I dove with at Dutch Springs last Monday.

I honestly don't know the address of the Belmar Marina. But its right on Rte 35 in Belmar across the street from the Windmill.

#9 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

Ray, Karen and I are going to do the inlet, weather permitting. Belmar at the beginning a A St. Ray said the back bay is boring. :(
PM me your cell phone and maybe we can meet up afterward? Unless you want to meet up before?

#10 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

Ray, Karen and I are going to do the inlet, weather permitting. Belmar at the beginning a A St. Ray said the back bay is boring. :(
PM me your cell phone and maybe we can meet up afterward? Unless you want to meet up before?

A St you have to climb down and back up the rocks with your gear on. When are you doing it? I'm still going to meet up in the MArina Parking lot around 6PM Sunday. I'll be bringing my float.

#11 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:55 AM

It is near "L" street, but not at L street. Just north of that entrance is the parking lot for the boat ramp, we meet there.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#12 fala

fala

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

I was interested in doing the Shark river dive but on Sat. since I already had plans for Sun. Since the high tide for tomorrow is 6:27 pm do you guys think it will be really crowded? Does this site every get too overcrowded or is this usually not a prob?
If anyone wants to go on Sat. let me know.

#13 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:40 PM

I was interested in doing the Shark river dive but on Sat. since I already had plans for Sun. Since the high tide for tomorrow is 6:27 pm do you guys think it will be really crowded? Does this site every get too overcrowded or is this usually not a prob?
If anyone wants to go on Sat. let me know.

With Shark River you have four choices so the divers are spread out. The Avon side has free parking and enter by jumping off the bridge base, the exit requires climbing over the rocks and watch out for one rebar there. There is a shower on the beach. The Belmar side has meters, you climb over the rocks both in and out. Those two I don't do when too many fishermen are on the jetties. A street is one block in on the Belmar side, parking is free but limited and there are narrow steps going down to the water. Those three require good timing with the tide because you need to swim against it to the exit. All three of those sites can only be dove after 5:30 pm during the summer because of boat traffic!
L street beach in the back basin has an easy beach entry and is a good back up plan if conditions in the inlet are bad but I find it boring since they tore down the old fishing pier which was a good place to find seahorses. Now they are over near the stairs but that part silts up fast if there are students in the water. Other than the water getting shallow tides don't affect that site as much and you can get in a longer dive. Call Divers Two to find out when the L street beach clean up dive is next month, during that you can dive in the fishing area which can be interesting.

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 07 September 2007 - 01:44 PM.

Signed and Dated

#14 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

I don’t know how the group over at A street made out, but, I had a great night dive with Pir8 and his friend near the Shark River Marina last night. The water was calm and warm, and the vis was probably in the 10-15 ft range. We hit the tide right, so, we had a slight current taking us back on the way out.

Jersey Shore diving may not be as spectacular as a Caribbean reef, but, the variety and abundance of sea life in the back-bay areas is amazing for a terrain that is basically sand and seaweed. We saw Seahorses, Eels, Crabs, Snails, Needle Fish, Starfish, Flounder, Jellies, Clams, and more, all within an area about the size of two Olympic swimming pools. Everything was very active too. If we had wanted to, we could have gone to about any spot and just sat and watched the show.

Another nice thing about diving in these bay areas is their shallow depth. You barely need to think about your gas and time management. Our average depth was about 10 ft. To do a 15 ft. safety stop we would have needed to dig a hole. We were down well over an hour and I only used about 50 cf. of air.

This dive was easy and a lot of fun. We definitely need to coordinate more NE Happy Hours with dives like this.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Wow, that sounds like a lot more fun than we had. First off, both my friend Karen and I didn't have enough weight. I got a new 7mm and she got a new hood vest and we didn't compensate. Then we floated into a whole bunch of jelly fish. The entry was steep and rocky. Ray carried my tank down for me because I am such a klutz I would have killed myself or broken some equipment. I managed to climb back up with some pushes behind from Ray and a pull from another diver we ran into there. I think we had a 3 minute dive. Oh well. Live and learn. And I still had to do the whole gear rinse thing for nothing!! :cheerleader:

We felt badly ruining Ray's dive, but he said it was OK. I could have gotten more weight and tried again, but honestly, I wasn't feeling good about the whole thing.

I would definitely like to try that other place you guys went to. Sounds pretty cool.

Ray and I are going to Pt. Pleasant again next Sat. Anyone want to join us? There's a seafood festival too.

So how was the entry at your place?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users