• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Voltage invertor advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

Well since i have gotten home from my summer internship i have been trying to get my life back together (and get a job as well). In the rush to get everything done i have overlooked one thing for my upcoming trip to the philippines in that the power outlets and output are different then the 110V 60 Hz power in the US. After realizing this i looked through my electronics and noticed that most have world voltage adaptability but im wanting to make sure that they are protected and not fried as the last thing i need is a mad WW ready to bury me in a foreign country.

If anyone had reccomendations for a voltage reducer for this list below please do (if you need more info let me know and i will get it for you)

Here is the list of electronics that i will need to plug in while on the trip

1 laptop PS draws 1.5 amps and is 70w output
4 battery chargers charging 4 cells at 500 mah each
1 external HDD 7200 power supply says it draws 1.5 amps on 110 volts

maybe add 1 extra charger for buffer zone on capacity

then if anyone knows of a place in the dallas area i can get one at a reasonable rate please let me know as the window for reasonable shipping is gone

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 12 September 2007 - 03:41 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have never been there, but my booklet from the US Department of Commerce says that the Phillipines uses 115 V 60 Hz just like here in North America.

Someone who has been there should be able to tell you for sure.

#3 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

I have never been there, but my booklet from the US Department of Commerce says that the Phillipines uses 115 V 60 Hz just like here in North America.

Someone who has been there should be able to tell you for sure.

The US Department of Commerce is WRONG!!!!

The Philippines uses 220-240V for standard current. The PLUG is similar to the one we have in the US.

Also in some locations the outlets do not have one of the prong holes longer like the newer Plugs have here. Meaning the two holes that the flat prongs on the plug go into are the same size. This prevents some of the newer electronics plugs from fitting into the outlet. Make sure you have adapters with you so that the plug will go into the outlet.

Dan, I have used my laptop there for the last 3 years and haven't had a problem. Any problems you have with dual voltage items would be from power surges... thus my recommendation for a surge protector. Plus if something is not needed to be plugged in, just unplug it. As in when the charger is done charging the batteries, then unplug it.

They can have power surges just like we have here, say when there is a lightning storm. I SHOULD unplug my electronics but don't need to, cause they have a surge protector.

Robin

PS this info about the current in the PI is from my last 10 years of traveling there, and having fried a headlight once.

Almost forgot, some hotels and dive ops (especially ones that North Americans go to) will have some outlets, say in the bathroom for shavers, or the camera room, in limited supply that are 110V... Put in a power strip and you then turn that single outlet into 4-6 outlets... And use the transformers they have already there. They probably are much heavier and better than the kind you pick up for small electronics.

Edited by secretsea18, 12 September 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

Robin

I picked up some plug adapters for my power strips to go to three prong to two, but i was wondering if there are any other adapters i should pick up.

I will be bringing a surge protector thats rated for 15a 125 volts which should be good or 7.5 amps at 220 volts.

Then does anyone know where i can pick up a good voltage requlator as i have seen some that are good to 1600 watts at brookstone for like 35

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

Robin

I picked up some plug adapters for my power strips to go to three prong to two, but i was wondering if there are any other adapters i should pick up.

I will be bringing a surge protector thats rated for 15a 125 volts which should be good or 7.5 amps at 220 volts.

Then does anyone know where i can pick up a good voltage requlator as i have seen some that are good to 1600 watts at brookstone for like 35

Are you sure you need an invertor? That switches from AC to DC. FWIW I have traveled to Europe, which uses 220- and all I needed was a plug adapter for my laptop and camera charger (Canon digital SLR).
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#6 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

Robin

Dan,
What you will be wanting is a transformer. While browsing the PI trip thread, Kamala mentioned that they have them there. You will be fine. But if you really NEED to have your own, get one of those. It doesn't work for my Ikelite charger, but does for the other stuff when Ihave not been able to get a hotel transformer. Just as long as your plugs fit into the outlet you will be OK.

Robin

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

well the brookstone one i looked at they say isnt suitable for battery chargers so im going to hope that everything goes ok as i dont want to blow any of this up.

#8 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:10 AM

well the brookstone one i looked at they say isnt suitable for battery chargers so im going to hope that everything goes ok as i dont want to blow any of this up.

I lived in Germany for three years and dealt with a lot of issues with power conversion. I had many transformers on the go in my The big issue with transformers is not the reduction in AC from 220V to 120V it is North American appliances are built for 60Hz and a lot of the world uses 50Hz. This screws up things like clocks and rechargers which use the alternating current to operate. They will still work on 50 Hz, but not as well as on 60 Hz. Clocks slow down by ~17% in this case, for example. If the device is not designed to work with 50 Hz then it will not work as stated if certain power limiting circuitry is built into the item. However, very few items discriminate this much as the cost to build this sort of circuit in is unfeasible and usually unnecessary. So they will still work, but a lot slower or inefficiently.

Having said all that, the Philippines operates on 220V / 60 Hz, so there should be no problems assuming the power is stepped down to 120V first. Everything should work fine including rechargers.

Electrical Systems Around The World

Plugs shapes are generally the same in the Philippines as in North America, but be prepared by carrying a universal plug adapter kit with you. You can pick and choose from these to cover all countries you intend to visit. I keep three of the more popular ones in my shaving kit at all times for my electric razor which can handle any world power source. You will need them to plug in your transformer as well!

Example Plug Adapter Kits

Last, remember kids... Transformers are HEAVY... The smallest transformer I had in Germany weighed 2 kilos and had one outlet. With airline bag limits getting smaller and smaller, you are better off spending a few bucks more and buying devices that can handle 110 - 240 V, 50Hz - 60Hz and then carry light weight adapter plugs for plugging them straight into the wall, than carrying transformers. Just look on the side of the box, or label for operating voltages. Most laptops can handle this power range as one example. Look at the AC Input line below to know what to look for on your devices.

Posted Image

ADDED LATER: Found this site. Click on Voltage Converters on the left side of the page.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:40 AM

They can have power surges just like we have here, say when there is a lightning storm. I SHOULD unplug my electronics but don't need to, cause they have a surge protector.

The majority of surge protectors only protect against a roughly 20% fluctuation in voltage and do not protect against the typical lightning bolt containing 1 billion volts and 10,000 to 200,000 amperes of current. Only the top end power protection systems have this ability by using "gas arrestors" to isolate the lighting from the appliance. Even this will only work up to a dozen times before failing. Surge protectors are sacrificial, they end up dead to save your gear. Companies like APC have power protection gear to protect computers and servers and back it up with a guarantee, but it is expensive to outfit your house with them (Around $500 a unit). This stuff is typically used with telecommunications gear and server farms. The average department store power bar does not typically have the ability to stop over-voltages of that magnitude before doing damage. A good surge suppressor will also have phone jacks so you can filter your phone line as well. I have seen too many PC's on power filters with their modems (dial-up and high speed) plugged into a regular wall jack. :usflag:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users