• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Aquarium Diver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

Ok, so yesterday I started diving for the Adventure Aquarium. I can't tell you how much fun it was, and in some cases how completely wierd! I had up close encounters with Bob, the 400+ pound loggerhead turtle, at one point in the Shark Realm I was totally surrounded by sandbar and sand tiger sharks, I had to tuck in my arms because to reach out even a little would have been touching somebody! I also came close to getting run over by one of the sawfish that cruise the bottom of the Shark Realm.

After the fun, swim around and oogle everything "checkout" dives, I recieved my temporary exhibit certification for both tanks, and then went to work. Somehow scrubbing rocks is a lot more fun than scrubbing my floors at home :D Wiping down the acrylic will take some getting used to though, from inside you can't see where it starts when you come straight in! I kept reaching out and swimming unitl I finally hit it, lol And looking through a clear wall at a room with people walking around brings on some vertigo if your not carefull. The kids go nuts and you can wave to them or swim up to the glass and play with them and that is alot of fun.

Anyway, for anyone thinking about trying to volunteer for an aquarium, go for it! It is a bit of a commitment, I dive every other Saturday, all day, but hey, I am diving all day! For anyone local to this area, the Adventure Aquarium is still taking applications, you can get started here at the New Jersey Academy for Aquatic Sciences, and click the Get Involved link. Non divers can apply for alot of positions, playing with hippos, seals, penguins, etc.

Totally worth the time and effort it takes to get there!
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

My daughter did that for awhile at Jenkinson's Aquarium but there you don't need different gear since they are pumping in seawater instead of making it.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:05 AM

Very cool Drew! Glad you are enjoying it.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#4 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:58 AM

I've been thinking about doing that and I know we "talked" about it before. Twice a month is a big commitment for me since I think I have farther to drive than you do. But I was talking about it to my brother today (telling him how I want to relocated to Florida to dive more often and then mentioned the aquarium gig) and he said at least I would get more diving in during the winter. He has a point. I might go for it.

What the heck. I went for it and just filled out the application online.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 21 October 2007 - 12:56 PM.

#5 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

I've been thinking about doing that and I know we "talked" about it before. Twice a month is a big commitment for me since I think I have farther to drive than you do. But I was talking about it to my brother today (telling him how I want to relocated to Florida to dive more often and then mentioned the aquarium gig) and he said at least I would get more diving in during the winter. He has a point. I might go for it.

What the heck. I went for it and just filled out the application online.

Thats awesome, you wont regret it. It is a bit of a commitment, but it is the same every month so you can plan your schedule out for like a year, and it is alot of diving on the days you are there.
Drew Z.

#6 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:43 PM

My daughter did that for awhile at Jenkinson's Aquarium but there you don't need different gear since they are pumping in seawater instead of making it.

I could use my own gear, but I would rather use the Aquarium's, as there is no reason to put the wear and tear on my own. They are very strict though and require proof of annual service if you choose to use your own reg or bcd.

Jenkinson's is a surprisingly nice aquarium. When I first went in there I was expecting a small tourist trap type place. It's small but very nice.
Drew Z.

#7 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:12 AM

I could use my own gear, but I would rather use the Aquarium's, as there is no reason to put the wear and tear on my own. They are very strict though and require proof of annual service if you choose to use your own reg or bcd.

Well that's good to know. Saves me the trouble of rinsing my gear when I get home. I only have one bathroom in my condo, no basement, so it's a bit of a hassle.

#8 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

Great to hear that you have started. How much time a day do you spend in the tank? Will you be able to do any feedings? Watch out for remoras-they aren't picky!!! :cheerleader:

#9 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:47 PM

Great to hear that you have started. How much time a day do you spend in the tank? Will you be able to do any feedings? Watch out for remoras-they aren't picky!!! :cheerleader:

Hey Deb, yeah it's great.

I spent alltogether about 90 minutes underwater this time over three dives. Dives can range from 5 minutes to almost an hour, and you can dive as much as you want, since there is always something to do. I would guess that a motivated diver is probably under for 3 to 4 hours each diving day, spread over an 8 hour period, so you get plenty of time diving. The above water stuff is simple maintence, cleaning, mostly it is removing water from the deck, and preparing and feeding the Ocean Realm tank.

We dive in and perform maintence and put on shows in the Shark Realm,but we do not feed the toothy ones. We do feed the other main tank, which includes a variety of rays, including a pelagic, numerous Southern and cownose, a couple of roughtails that are just massive, and two, soon to be 3 shark rays. Also are 4 turtles up to 450 pounds or so, jacks, albacore, lookdowns, and I don't even know what else.

There are two types of feedings, one is a show, where divers get into the water and hand feed some of the critters, while another uses an AGA mask to talk to the audience. The other type of feeding is called a broadcast feeding, where you just throw food all over tank for the other critters. I did this already. Maybe because I am new, but I thought it was fun, everybody else was pretty happy myself and the other newbie did it. I guess it gets old after awhile. Both the broadcast feeding and the Scuba Snacks show are done everyday.

Ok, so I was starry eyed, overwhelmed with the majesty of everything I was experiencing, and falling in love with the sharks and sawfish. I will have to pay more attention, but I did not see any remoras. Of course almost all the sharks were in the upper section of the water column, and I spent all my time near the bottom. I willl do alot more looking around next time, this past weekend I was being evaluated and had to follow a strict dive plan. In two weeks I will have a ton more freedom to explore.
Drew Z.

#10 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

I wish I was closer, then I would seriously consider it. Are there any acquariums in the Northern NJ area that have a program like this?
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#11 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

I just wish i had more time in the weekend.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#12 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

I wish I was closer, then I would seriously consider it. Are there any acquariums in the Northern NJ area that have a program like this?

The only aquarium I found up that way is in NYC, but they do have a dive program.
Drew Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users