• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Are you "LinkedIn?"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

The other day on Marketplace, a headhunter was being interviewed about placing people in jobs. This is about exactly what he said…

“If a paper resume gets in my office, I most likely will never read it. I ask people what networking site they are on. If they aren’t on LinkedIn or Facebook or something, I ask them, ‘What have you been doing all this time?’”

Needless to say, he stated that the job market isn’t about paper resumes anymore (not that they were ever any good,) but more about a well developed networking profile.

Note, he WASN’T talking about myspace or match.com. He specifically mentioned “LinkedIn” as the ‘business social network to be on.”

So I checked it out and started creating a profile. It really is a great way to reconnect with old business contacts and friends. I’m finding tons of people there.

I’m in no way getting any benefit, finical or otherwise, from the site. I just am passing along information that I got and I’m happy with the site. It’s free also.

Here is the link…
http://www.linkedin.com

And if you want, look me up. Search for “Petrevich” I’m the only one! :cheerleader:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#2 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

The other day on Marketplace, a headhunter was being interviewed about placing people in jobs. This is about exactly what he said…

“If a paper resume gets in my office, I most likely will never read it. I ask people what networking site they are on. If they aren’t on LinkedIn or Facebook or something, I ask them, ‘What have you been doing all this time?’”

Been on there a while. I do technical interviews for my organization, and was thrown a bit off balance by someone telling me they "saw you are a CCIE on your LinkedIn page." (CCIE is a advanced computer networking certification.) I usually don't mention that unless they ask, since some people have a preconceived notion of what a CCIE is and it can sometimes intimidate people.

I've done a few linkthoughs for friends who were looking for jobs or consulting gigs.

#3 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

LinkedIn is great for networking. I started using it in Business School. A lot of companies have networks on there and used it as part of their recruiting. Since I've started working, it helps me keep connected with my old business school contacts, old co-workers, and recruiters with which I've kept in touch. It's great to see who is hiring and where people are working (since some of my friends switch jobs from year to year).

I highly recommend the site for business professionals. I'm evening beginning to use it as a marketing tool.

:cheerleader:

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:52 AM

I never heard of it. Have to check it out.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#5 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:02 PM

Been on there a while. I do technical interviews for my organization, and was thrown a bit off balance by someone telling me they "saw you are a CCIE on your LinkedIn page." (CCIE is a advanced computer networking certification.) I usually don't mention that unless they ask, since some people have a preconceived notion of what a CCIE is and it can sometimes intimidate people.

I've done a few linkthoughs for friends who were looking for jobs or consulting gigs.

CCIE used to mean something intimidating..., just like CNE and MCSE used to.... Papermills and turning certifications into revenue streams have diluted the value significantly....

I hope folks don't preconcieve when they run my name through... they'll think I was the lead singer for Judas Priest and inspiration for the movie 'rock star'....

Edited by netmage, 02 November 2007 - 02:29 PM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users