• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Neurologic Complications of Scuba Diving

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:05 PM

From the June 2001 issue of American Family Physician published by American Academy of Family Physicians. Still an interesting read...

Posted Image

FIGURE 1. Experimental preparation of decompression illness (i.e., cerebral decompression sickness and arterial gas embolism) demonstrating the presence of bubbles passing within vasculature of the cortical subarachnoid space (arrow). Note the regions of surface hemorrhage (upper right) on surrounding gyri.

Preface...

Recreational scuba diving has become a popular sport in the United States, with almost 9 million certified divers. When severe diving injury occurs, the nervous system is frequently involved. In dive-related barotrauma, compressed or expanding gas within the ears, sinuses and lungs causes various forms of neurologic injury. Otic barotrauma often induces pain, vertigo and hearing loss. In pulmonary barotrauma of ascent, lung damage can precipitate arterial gas embolism, causing blockage of cerebral blood vessels and alterations of consciousness, seizures and focal neurologic deficits. In patients with decompression sickness, the vestibular system, spinal cord and brain are affected by the formation of nitrogen bubbles. Common signs and symptoms include vertigo, thoracic myelopathy with leg weakness, confusion, headache and hemiparesis. Other diving-related neurologic complications include headache and oxygen toxicity. (Am Fam Physician 2001;63:2211-8,2225-6.)

See this fascinating article here
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users