• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Travel Suggestion(s)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sharkbait97

sharkbait97

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:none
  • Logged Dives:none

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Perhaps this belongs in a whine and cheese section, but I do have a suggestion for some of our travelers. I handle baggage for Frontier Airlines and many of you love to go to our Cozumel and Cancun destinations. The very nature of diving gear is that it is heavy (sometimes very heavy). Packing as much gear into one bag may actually cause more damage to your gear than paying the fee for an extra bag or two. Your bags will touch many hands on the way from check-in, to bagroom, to airplane, to connection, etc. Behind every handling is someone's back or shoulder bearing a lot of weight and sometimes things will get dropped (not on purpose mind you), because it was heavier than anticipated. The lighter the bag, the less likely the bag will be dropped and the less likely your gear will be damaged. Oh and my back and shoulders will thank you for it.
Charlie don't surf!

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

I was sitting over the baggage hatch on a TACA flight out of Roatan where every bag was dive gear and watching out the window as they heft each bag from the cart to the belt and felt sorry for the handlers.
The flight made stops in San Pedro Sula, Belize City and Salvador, each time some of the bags had to be offloaded to find others buried in the hold and then put back on. There has got to be some way to palletize this stuff!
In the Galapagos there is a 45 pound limit, we tipped the baggage handler heavy and he bypassed the scale but I was worried the plane wouldn't get off the ground and then it wouldn't stop before the end of the runway on the island :diver:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 sharkbait97

sharkbait97

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

The only problem with tipping the curb handler extra, is that the bag then doesn't get an orange HEAVY tag. When I pull a bag from a cart and it isn't tagged and then it turns out to be >50 lbs or more, it can cause injury to the handler.
Charlie don't surf!

#4 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

The only problem with tipping the curb handler extra, is that the bag then doesn't get an orange HEAVY tag. When I pull a bag from a cart and it isn't tagged and then it turns out to be >50 lbs or more, it can cause injury to the handler.

Of course having seen handlers throwing lighter bags, I am less inclined to lighten the load, so to speak...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#5 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

I see your point on the bags, but also its a point of contention to because the limits used to be 70 lbs a bag domestically and 100 for international flights but after 9/11 and a few other things that got all eliminated and the limits went down and the fees up to as high as $250+ a bag depending on the airline and destination.

I think its fair to say the biggest reason for all of this is $$$ in that the airlines make more from hauling cargo then bags. Then there is bag bowling/rumaging and TSA to consider; thats as far as i will go so not to break the TOS.

When traveling i try to go as light as possible but when your a traveling photographer and diver you end up with heavy bags.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#6 sharkbait97

sharkbait97

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

I understand the frustration with the added fees because of heavy bags. Money is a huge issue, currently the fuel prices are close to 90 dollars a barrel and for the most part the ticket prices have not gone up accordingly. So when we have to scratch for every dollar, the airline often has to charge extra for heavier bags. (which is fair considering the extra fuel being used) We all want to travel at reasonable rates, and the airlines want to make a profit (btw Frontier has NOT run a consitent profit since in several years). At some point our bubble may burst and the air fares will see a more dramatic increase.
Charlie don't surf!

#7 Johny

Johny

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

It is always better to get suggestion & views of different professional travelers before starting or arranging a tour. I would like to appreciate writer‘s nice effort about sharing such a awesome information. Here you can also get views, tips, and ideas about different places & also about packages of different hotels form hank Freid in order to manage an unforgettable & budget friendly tour.
Hank Freid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users