• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Freediving with Manatees

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

While attending DEMA last week, I was fortunate enough to take last friday and head on over to freedive in Crystal River for the unique privilege of interacting and shooting footage of the resident manatee population. Our boat headed towards the clearest section of the river system and I was fortunate enough to capture footage up close and personal of a single manatee.

Since my trip didn't have the agenda of doing a story, I just pieced together some of the footage into a two minute piece and hope it will inspire others at the unique experience this afforded me and others who were there as well.

<embed src="http://services.brig...d_f8/824577910" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashvars="videoId=1299131217&playerId=824577910&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://services.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swliveconnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...ShockwaveFlash" height="312" width="480">

Enjoy!

Edited by freedivers, 09 November 2007 - 10:14 AM.

Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#2 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

How neat. Took my daughter's family to do that once in murky Kings Bay. Not as good as that, but we all loved it, still. You can kinda see the resemblance to elephants when they walk along the bottom. Thanks for sharing!
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#3 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

That is very cool. Manatees are one of my favorite creatures. I would love to dive with them one day...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Most diving with manatees is freediving, there are few places scuba is allowed with them or for that matter needed. My daughter and I snorkeled with them in a spring on Crystal River I believe was called Seven Sisters years ago and with two in Key Biscayne Parks marina. :D
FMP warns you not to get above them but the juvi's would go under you and then surface so you would scratch their backs but to an onlooker it appeared that you were riding them.

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 14 November 2007 - 03:08 PM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 Scuba Nymph

Scuba Nymph

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:90

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:28 AM

Very nice footage!! I had the opportunity to swim with the manatees in June. I wish the visibility had been this good then!!
Happiness is an inside job.

#6 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

Very nice footage!! I had the opportunity to swim with the manatees in June. I wish the visibility had been this good then!!

There was one in Blue Spring when we were freediving there in 2004. It pretty much sat on the bottom.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users