• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

casual diving in Australia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 15 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hey all. I know we have a few people on here from Australia, or at least a few that have been there. I have a question on casual diving in and around sydney. First of all is there such a thing as casual diving there, or is it all "vacation" type diving?

Here is where I'm going with this... I'm looking at a possible move to Australia, for work. Sadly, or maybe not, one of the deciding factors is going to be the availability of daily diving activities. Not that I plan on diving everyday, but I don't want to have to make special plans or save up a ton of money to go diving on a day off. Unfortunately this job will keep me busy on weekends so it would have to be weekday diving. Short of finding a dive buddy, how hard is it to find a cheap casual dive spot near Syndey? Something schedule and money simliar to doing a quarry dive in the US.

Thanks!

#2 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:18 PM

Hey all. I know we have a few people on here from Australia, or at least a few that have been there. I have a question on casual diving in and around sydney. First of all is there such a thing as casual diving there, or is it all "vacation" type diving?

Here is where I'm going with this... I'm looking at a possible move to Australia, for work. Sadly, or maybe not, one of the deciding factors is going to be the availability of daily diving activities. Not that I plan on diving everyday, but I don't want to have to make special plans or save up a ton of money to go diving on a day off. Unfortunately this job will keep me busy on weekends so it would have to be weekday diving. Short of finding a dive buddy, how hard is it to find a cheap casual dive spot near Syndey? Something schedule and money simliar to doing a quarry dive in the US.

Thanks!

I have great news for you, jimmy dave! You can go ahead and take that job transfer to Sydders!

I'm not an expert on Sydney diving, but I do know that it's easy to do local diving there without needing a boat charter. You might find Michael McFadyden's website informative.

But even better news is the fact that you will be (relatively speaking) within striking distance of the best diving in the world--in SouthEast Asia. During your time in Australia, try to make it up to Thailand to dive with me!
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#3 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

try to make it up to Thailand to dive with me!

I must have missed u in Thailand. I was there almost exactly 1 year ago. I'm really hoping that the job goes through, but I'm not counting my chickens, so to speak.

#4 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

try to make it up to Thailand to dive with me!

I must have missed u in Thailand. I was there almost exactly 1 year ago.

:wakawaka: I was here (in Thailand), but I wasn't here (on SD), so how could you know?

I'm really hoping that the job goes through, but I'm not counting my chickens, so to speak.

If that's your wish, then let's hope that fate looks kindly on you! And if not, well, now that SD is represented in the Land Of Smiles, you can always come back to Thailand from wherever you happen to be :-D
Plus there are plans for an SD trip here in the not-too-distant future.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users