• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Well this is related to the site...and I do need support...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:25 PM

As many of you know, SingleDivers.com will be moving in 2008 to its new location in Salem, SC about 60-70 miles from the closest airport and basically located nowhere in the mountains of South Carolina. :P Ok ok it is one mile from a pretty lake and it has lots of internet access! :lmao:

Now for the help part...

In near future SD will be changing telephone and fax numbers as well as its mailing address.

I have been told that I might be able to sign up for Vonage and be able to keep the 214-350-7003 main number for SingleDivers.com as well as possibly the fax number.

Is anyone aware of how this works or if there are other ideas for making this move/transition as simplified as possible?

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

My experience at keeping numbers in the cell phone industry was that customer could keep the number if moving to a different company in the same area - but not in another state. Hope you find a better answer.

I thot 7003 was your cell? Regardless, whatever it takes, I'd keep that number and forward it to the new number for a year, even if I had to pay extra to keep an account just for it.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#3 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:56 PM

I have been told that I might be able to sign up for Vonage and be able to keep the 214-350-7003 main number for SingleDivers.com as well as possibly the fax number.

Is anyone aware of how this works or if there are other ideas for making this move/transition as simplified as possible?

Check The Vonage Web Site for the details. It's possible to have you configured, up and running before you leave the state; all you do is take the vonage widget with you and plug it into your high speed connection in Carolina and you're good to go.

I've had vonage for a couple of years now, and find the service to be (at least for me) clear and reliable--and much, MUCH less expensive than the regular telephone system in my town.

PPM

#4 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

Call the telephone company in your new location and ask for "business services".
What you want to do has been possible for years. Not all phone companies are well prepared or anxious to move your 'old number' to your new location.

Another possibility is to contact your current phone company and ask about having the number kept in your name and 'permanently' forwarded to your new number in S.C. This might be a reasonable cost, it might not.

3rdly, with VoIP you can definitely move your current number to your new VoIP service. This way when you make a call, it will show as the number that is familiar to the people you call on their caller ID. I provide VoIP services, so naturally, I am quite biased here.... the company with the orange boxes that advertise on tv a lot has ALL of its 'support' provided by script readers in India. They will not listen to anything you say... they just read the script and say "... please to unplug the wonnage dewice, please to wait 2 minutes.... please to plug in the wonnage dewice. Is your telephone working now please? .... please to unplug your dsl unit, please to wait two minutes ............" I know, I went through one of these phone calls for TWO hours and they never got mine working, thats when I decided to get into the VoIP business.

Another thing I am biased about try to find a small VoIP company in your area that really wants to earn your business. There are hundreds of VoIP service providers in the USA, so this should be possible. If you cannot find one in your area, call me, I will help you start your own VoIP company. Really, I will. The only hard part is going through the tax laws in each state. This is why I only market to Florida residents, I only have one set of tax laws to deal with. If you want to buy really cheap VoIP service, take a good look at this VoIP company and see all the features you get at their prices!

VoIP can do some fairly interesting things. You can have one unlimited calling phone service for $28 a month, but have telephone numbers all over the world (for an additional $8 to $15 each, generally, depending on where in the world). So you could have your telephone to have different ringtones (or multiple phones in your office).... so when one phone rings you answer "singledivers dot com" when you hear the other ringtone you answer "single divers dot com, Fiji office" when people call your Fiji phone number or "singledivers dot com, Bahamas office" when they call your Bahamas number.

Likewise, you can have employees all over the world. Your 'receptionist' answers the telephone "Hello, this is Singledivers dot com International World Headquarters" then when they ask for reservations, you transfer the call to your employee at home today taking care of a sick child just as if you transferred the call down the hall, and the caller never knows the difference (unless they hear the baby crying). Its the same concept as dialing a number in New Jersey and talking to someone in India.

As far as I know all VoIP companies provide call forwarding, conference calling, voicemail, voicemail to email, redial, number block, caller ID, caller ID block etc all for free.

The downside to VoIP is that the internet is not yet quite as reliable as POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service). There will be periods where call quality suffers. It may not happen everywhere, but keep it in mind. However, the cellphone or the POTS can be used during these periods. But heck, lower your phone bill 30% to 80%, it may be worth that risk. Another downside is that when calling 911, the call is routed based upon the information that you provide. If you do not keep this information up to date, the fire department will show up at your old address and send you a very very large $$ bill. The same is true for the employee in Montana if someone in the house grabs the VoIP phone registered at your Texas address. Always read the 911 fine print.

An upside for hotels and lawyers and others that need to track telephone usage is that you can get your usage reports within seconds after hanging up the phone. Control what countries your children can call. Instantly track your employees calls.

And all VoIP services (as far as I know) have unlimited 'in-network' calling. Huh? You get ONE phone account (think of it as one telephone line) but with it you get 10 'virtual numbers'. Use these virtual numbers to assign to each of the telephone extensions in your home. So the extensions can call each other unlimitedly without regard to what level of phone service you have. You can also call other customers of the same company as if they were an extension. Here' is the good part..... your mother in Japan has an IP phone set up with one of your virtual numbers, your sister in Brazil has an IP phone set up with one of your virtual numbers, so it never costs the three of you a penny to call each other (or 3-way call) no matter how long you talk !

Isn't the internet great ?

Edited by Racer184, 09 January 2008 - 05:22 PM.

#5 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

One more thing about VoIP.

If you are using consumer satellite internet service, VoIP sucks really really really bad if you get it to work at all.

I know, I sell WildBlue satellite internet and I have yet to find anyone that has a VoIP service that works on Hughes (Direcway), Starband or WildBlue or the others. (If you have personally used on that works, please let me know.)

There are satellite companies that have VoIP that works, but it is very expensive. It is meant for oil-platforms and other locations that cannot get telephone service by any other means.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:22 PM

WOW! The simple answer was to hire you to do this for me! But since you are not licensed in anyplace other than FL looks like I'll have to try and do it myself! :twist:

Ok ok...as many of you know computer stuff is NOT my forte! But I try hard and I am teachable...hopefully that counts for something! :cool1:

Thank you very much for the great information! It sounds like I'll be able to make the move fairly seamlessly and I certainly have a few options. Just wish I could just 'hire' this out to you... that would be toooo perfect! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#7 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

One more thing about VoIP.

If you are using consumer satellite internet service, VoIP sucks really really really bad if you get it to work at all.

I know, I sell WildBlue satellite internet and I have yet to find anyone that has a VoIP service that works on Hughes (Direcway), Starband or WildBlue or the others. (If you have personally used on that works, please let me know.)

There are satellite companies that have VoIP that works, but it is very expensive. It is meant for oil-platforms and other locations that cannot get telephone service by any other means.

Roundtrip latency of sattellite still the limiting issue...?
"I aim to misbehave...."

#8 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:51 PM

WOW! The simple answer was to hire you to do this for me! But since you are not licensed in anyplace other than FL looks like I'll have to try and do it myself! :twist:

Ok ok...as many of you know computer stuff is NOT my forte! But I try hard and I am teachable...hopefully that counts for something! :cool1:

Thank you very much for the great information! It sounds like I'll be able to make the move fairly seamlessly and I certainly have a few options. Just wish I could just 'hire' this out to you... that would be toooo perfect! :)

110011110010010000111000001100100100 simple eh?

'There is no place like 127.0.0.1'

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#9 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:57 AM

WW,

Vonage in a word-SUCKS!! I tried to set up with them when I moved from Dallas to Austin. It took me 3 months to wade through all of the e-mails and mailed letters to get it straightend out, I finally gave up. My sister in law has waited for 6 months for a wireless phone to take to Hong Kong, went through level 4 of tech support to get that mess cleaned up with no success and was told on Friday to cancell the service and start over by the CS Rep she spoke to. Check out Blue Sky (I think that is the name). On your cell, if you stay with the same company in SO Car, you should be able to keep same number no proble. I was working with a guy that lived in Dallas but still used his number based in NC for all of his customers!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:21 AM

FYI....the numbers I want to keep are landline numbers from SWBell. They forward to my celfone which to me can be from any provider and any number as I do not give that number out. (Some have it stored but they usually know that I prefer you to call on 214-350-7003 and let it roll if I can't answer the land line.)

If it were my celfone number it would be easy (easier) as I would just keep my service here and go there.

I will check with the phone company about just doing a permanent forward to SC on the numbers that I currently have... (not sure that works on a fax number) but I can check.

DBD I was looking at the vonage thing but certainly if I can't get it to work that will be a real issue. There are possibly some other VoIP solutions I can look at so will work to explore those. (Translation...Alan I still may need your help!) :welcome:

I want to try and minimize the hassle of changing numbers that have been associated with two of my diving ventures for over 12 years...by being able to keep these numbers the same...I'll be able to make the move that much easier....well it will seem that much easier! :twist:

formerly...

#11 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

The biggest thing with VoIP is QoS (Quality of Service) where you dedicate a % of your bandwidth exclusively for phone calls or other critical applications. A lot of folks suffer because they do not take QoS into account and lots of sales guys fail to mention it as it can be pricey.

VoIP without QoS is hit or miss.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

The biggest thing with VoIP is QoS (Quality of Service) where you dedicate a % of your bandwidth exclusively for phone calls or other critical applications. A lot of folks suffer because they do not take QoS into account and lots of sales guys fail to mention it as it can be pricey.

VoIP without QoS is hit or miss.

WOW! Great info! Looks like I'll need to see how much they charge to provide some level of service that will resemble POTS most of the time. And then by the time the call is transferred to my celfone...it may not work at all.

BTW...does anyone know if you can forward a VoIP call to your celfone on a ring no answer and a ring busy? That is currently what I do now.

formerly...

#13 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

I just sent a long pm to Netmage with an explanation on that. If anyone else is interested in the answer, let me know.

forward a VoIP call to your celfone on a ring no answer and a ring busy

If you can dream it up, you can do it. Forwarding, all that stuff is just click click with the mouse (or typing codes on your phone keypad.) #69, #71 all that stuff that the phone company makes you pay for is free with every VoIP provider that I am familiar with.

I am going to start a thread in 'need work got work' and see if we can get someone to be a VoIP company in S.C.

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:23 AM

I just sent a long pm to Netmage with an explanation on that. If anyone else is interested in the answer, let me know.

forward a VoIP call to your celfone on a ring no answer and a ring busy

If you can dream it up, you can do it. Forwarding, all that stuff is just click click with the mouse (or typing codes on your phone keypad.) #69, #71 all that stuff that the phone company makes you pay for is free with every VoIP provider that I am familiar with.

I am going to start a thread in 'need work got work' and see if we can get someone to be a VoIP company in S.C.

Cool! If I had time which I don't I'd do it! Oh yeah...I guess you have to be a bit brighter than I am for it to work! :welcome:

formerly...

#15 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:55 AM

This just dawned on me....... a clarification.

"Pre-paid calling" (like calling cards) I can sell anywhere in the world. The tax laws treat them just like selling someone a frying pan except that the sale is always considered to be delivered in state (because I don't actually mail anything). So 6.5 % state tax.

(It is the service of you actually having a phone connected to the internet at your home /business that would come under regulation of your state. )

Maybe later today I will have time to send an email to 'my agent' in the Florida Department of Revenue and find out about some things that might help WreckWrench type of situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users