• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

There's all kinds of BC's

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:17 AM

Erin,

Why would you trying out a horse collar make me feel any better? You like your wings, they work for you, stick with them. They are a fine BC.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#17 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:51 AM

Personally, I love my Zeagle Zena- it really conforms to me properly!!! :cool1:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#18 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:17 AM

Erin,

Why would you trying out a horse collar make me feel any better? You like your wings, they work for you, stick with them. They are a fine BC.

Walter

It's not a true horse collar. It's an early jacket style BC. I just have to try it to satisfy my curiousity, I really have no intentions to replace my wings. My theory is that a good diver can make any kind of equipment work, and I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is by giving the thing a trial run in a nearby pond, just for kicks.

Maybe it's similiar to why you still break out the DA Aquamaster every so often. Just because there's all these modern bells and whistles doesn't mean the vintage gear wasn't up to par. It would be a shame if it stayed in the closet forever, right?

#19 Sweeper

Sweeper

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:24 AM

Is there a way to try out different BC's without purchasing?

Michael
We can have what we want or our reasons why not!

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

Erin,

What's the make & model? I might have some insight to help it be a more enjoyable experience for you. Orange makes my think it's an old Scubapro stab vest. It it is, no one has come up with a better design yet.

Don't try a double hose without some pointers. They are vastly different from single hose regs. Come visit and I'll teach you on mine.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:07 PM

Walter, It's not a scubapro stab-jacket. It's some off brand that I've never heard of. It looks like it would be a pain to use, but curiousity will still get the better of me... I don't have access to any double hose regs, but I'd love to try yours out when I make it to your stomping grounds ( Please promise you'll take me out diving for fossils, that's a dive trip I'm VERY eager to do )

Michael, the only thing I can think to suggest as far as sampling the various BC's out there in the water would be renting, and hopefully finding more diving friends that would let you try theirs out. Of course you can try the new ones out in the shops... look for something that fits you well. The better BC's ( my humble opinion ) all have air cells that inflate out away from your back. The ones that inflate in front generally cause an uncomfortable squeeze when fully inflated, not my idea of comfort. Look around, take your time, and see what you can rent or borrow. A lot of instructors and DM's are required to use what the shop sells, and may have personal gear in their closets at home you might be able to try if you keep it hush hush, so you might ask them about that too.

#22 Sweeper

Sweeper

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the info and ideas, Coo's Toe!

Btw, why do you call yourself Coo's Toe? :fish2:
We can have what we want or our reasons why not!

#23 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:23 PM

Say it out loud... and think Jacques "Coo's Toe"... My obscure little joke. Not many people get it without having it explained. :fish2:

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

Well Erin,

I already have a tip for your semi-vintage dive. Don't hook up the chest strap. It's not necessary and the chest strap is what causes some BC's to squeeze. No chest strap, no squeeze.

Of course, I'll take you to Venice Beach (weather permitting).

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:18 AM

Michael:

Most of the better shops will let you at least try new equipment out in a pool. If they won't, don't buy it from them. If they don't have a pool in-house, they will often let you swim around while a class is going on. The only caution is that you need to dress out like you would for a typical dive, that way you can tell if the equipment you are testing really fits your needs based on your dive style. It can get pretty toasty in a pool if you need the equipment to fit a dry suit, but if you are mostly tropical diving then the light wetsuit usually worn isn't that bad. You typically won't be able to tell complete bouyancy characteristics because you usually can't go below 12 to 20 ft. in most pools, but it is enough to test for fit and comfort while finning.

Joe.

Edited by jeadiver, 31 March 2004 - 08:19 AM.

#26 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:48 AM

I use a Zeagle Concept II Sport which I don't see in their catalogue anymore. It's very similar to the Scout. No ripcord system in mine and while it did come with a padded back, I've removed it - it's not necessary.
I probably would not have purchased it if my LDS hadn't insisted that I try out a back-inflate. I was all ready to purchase a jacket style but the LDS twisted my arm and I grudgingly tried out a Zeagle. Am I ever glad I did!!! I'll never use a jacket-style again if I can help it.

Now as far as I'm concerned my LDS is the best! He didn't want to sell me something without me trying out a different style first. How many LDS's do that?!

I think Zeagle makes a BP/W as well. I wouldn't mind trying out a BP/W setup some time but I'm in no hurry to replace my Zeagle. Plus, I have other things to spend my $$ right now like WW's trips!! :twist:

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 08:57 AM

The other day, I was watching a buddy with a Zeagle Ranger. I wasn't impressed. It traps air. I had to get behind her and squeeze the bladder to get the air out. It's a poor design. I'm not familiar with the Concept II Sport, but I don't recommend the Ranger.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:16 AM

Interesting, Walter. I haven't had trouble venting my BC at all. When I lean back all the air is forced up and it vents quite easily. My bladder is a lot smaller than the Ranger. Did your buddy need a bladder that large? Perhaps a smaller one would suffice.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#29 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:09 PM

Diverlady,

No, I'm sure she doesn't need that large of a bladder, but size isn't the crucial factor at this point. The Ranger has design flaw that makes it difficult to vent all the air. Correct placement of the dump valve would easily correct this.

When we dive together, please remind me to look at your Concept II Sport. I'm interested in how different thay are.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#30 Narwhal

Narwhal

Director of Training

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

One of my BCs is a DUI with interchangeable bladders. I can configure it as a jacket BC or take the jacket bladder off and attach any one of several wings. It has infinite adjustment--for the most part you can adjust the harness for anyone from an XS to XXXL. It is truly customizable. It is one of the most comfortable BCs I have ever used. This might be a consideration for you--at least worth a look.
I have several BPs and harnesses. Aluminum and SS. I have several other jacket style BCs including a couple of Aqualung/Seaquest and a couple of Mares/Dacor. My children (whom I taught to dive and have seen my equipment) prefer Zeagle Ranger BCs. I have dived but never owned a Zeagle product. I teach quite often in a Dacor Nautica or a USD Cousteau RDS. I cannot teach in a back inflate BC and feel comfortable with students on a platform. If I'm diving on my own time, I usually prefer back inflate or BP and Classic Wing. My best advice is to borrow or try a lot of equipment dive a lot and decide what's right for you.

And Walter, when you come to Dallas, I have some neat old things to show you. How about a Aqualung Mistral, still in the box, never dived, with the original yellow hoses? I can remember diving a mistral--single stage, tank pressure to demand, roll purges etc.. And to think, we lived through it!! <G> A couple of Royal Aquamasters, a Healthways, a Voit, and an old Nimrod---ah, those were the days---not. I have a set of double 72 steels ('60 manufacture that just got back from hydro) with a non-isolated manifold. I am mounting them on an aluminum backplate with DUI wings. I decided against a harness, no horse collar and "swim your equipment to the surface". I'm not that retro.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."
Thomas Jefferson
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action."
Goethe
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep, voting on what to eat for dinner; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote."
Thomas Jefferson
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
H.L. Mencken:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users