• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Report on Dry Suits

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

Dry Suit Training $$$
Dry Suit $$$
Diving Dry...... Priceless !

I would like to describe what my experience was like while diving in a dry suit for the first time. First diving a dry suit takes a lot more equipment/gear than a regular wet suit, after putting on my special socks with wicking properties I added a heaver insulated sock over them, then put on some thick gloves then a thermal jumpsuit. Now I was ready to put on the dry suit. Once in my dry suit, I crouched down and let the extra air out of my suit thru the neck seal and as I stood back up I could feel the squeeze from the suit (kinda like being vacumed packed in it). I was glad that the air temp that day was in the high 50s and cloudy skies, I couldn’t image what it would be like if the air temp would have been in the 90s and sunny. I had already determined that I was going to need 22lbs of weight on my belt and 10 lbs in my quick release pockets of my BCD. Entering the lake from the shore the first thing I noticed was its like having a pair of chest waiters on because the surface temp on the water was 47.5 degrees and I couldn't feel the cold water rush in like a regular wet suit would have, actually the only cold water I felt was around my face where the skin between my mask and hood was exposed. With my dry suit and BCD completely purged of air I was not able to descend so the boat tender handed me two 2 lbs of weights and I put them in my BCD pockets. Now I was ready to go diving. My Instructor said that he would lead until we got down to a depth of 45 ft then I would take the lead so he could see how I was handling the dry suit and my kicking style etc... Well right from the start I noticed that my feet and legs where trying to ascend. I never felt like I was out of control it was more like feeling awkward. And even tho it wasn't part of the plan in Dive 1, I found myself curling up into a ball and fining till my left shoulder was above my head then releasing extra air out of my dump. I had to do this several times. Dive 1 lasted 34 minutes and honestly I was a little tired by then trying to keep my feet from ascending all the time. The Instructor noticed I was having this problem so on Dive 2 he attached two 2.5 lb ankle weights and that worked wonderfully, also on the Dive 2 the instructor said I could use my BCD for controlling my buoyancy if I wanted to, I choose not to use my BCD but rather keep using my suit to control my buoyancy. I must say when you push the inflater button on your suit you can feel the air instantly providing better thermal protection. I finished my skills on Dive 2 and we even had time to do some adventure diving around that area. All in All diving dry was a great way to enjoy diving in an area that is usually only accessible in the summer/late summer months. I’m sure I will get better diving dry over time but it seems that skin diving or diving in a wet suit is like driving a sports car and diving in a dry suit is like driving a motor home. If you can afford a dry suit go for it !

Bubski

Attached Images

• DrySuitTraining2008.jpg

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:24 AM

Hey Bubs..Looking pretty spiffy in that dry suit! Thank you for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. Now I have a better idea of what to expect when I give it a try. Is that your boat?

#3 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:33 AM

Congrats Bubski!!! It is the best, isn't it?

I actually got a new drysuit and just used it the other week in Twin Lakes. Let's just say while my students were freezing, I was staying nice and toasty. I had a tri-lam, but now have a neoprene (I think it's a 2mm) and it makes a world of difference, not as bulky and easier to move around. Also got it cut for a woman, YES they now make drysuits specifically cut for women and they are so much better!!!!!

If anyone is in the market to buy a drysuit, especially women, I just went through an ordeal of ordering and trying on various brands. So if you need any advice, I'd be more than happy to share.

:cheerleader:

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:45 AM

No fair! I look like a yak in my dry suit.

PPM

#5 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thank You Darling, No that isn’t my boat, mine is still under construction.
Victoria yes it seems to be a pretty good trade off More Equipment = More Comfort Vs Less Equipment Less Comfort , because now I will be able to dive year round cuz the dry suit took the COLD out of the cold water.
John no worries I felt I looked like a YAK as well and I apparently looked like one underwater because the Fish and Game Dept has released a report saying that there is no apparent fish activity in that part of the lake, and a article in the Coctaw Times says local residents of the lake are reporting an Alligator aimlessly walking around and mumbling something. And a wildlife officer tried to coax the Gator back into the water and the Gator went :P

Amazon.com

#6 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Bub, you won't be a weenie and dive dry in the Flower Gardens in mid 80s water, will you (like Wreck Wench last year...)? I can see it if'n you're in a cold lake in Arkie-land or even around here in North Texas...
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#7 techintime

techintime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Master diver, TDI Deco diver and adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Here is my two cents on dry-suit diving. First, I'm not an instructor. However, these are the techniques that were taught to me by my tech-diving instructor and I have found that they work for meas well. I know opinions vary. But hey try it and tell me what you think.

Im not a fan of using the suit as your BC. First, you will likely have bouancy problems and (as you noted) problems staying level in the water. The reason is that the air in you suit is able to move around a lot more than the air in your BC. A better technique is to leave your arm valve full open and only put just enough air in your suit to keep it from squeezing the snot out of you...and not a molecule more. A teeny layer of air is enough to allow your undergarments to keep you warm. Any more air than that is not really going to keep you any warmer. If you are still cold you probably need thicker underwear, not more air. Then, with minimal air in your suit, use your BC and lung inflation for bouancy control as per normal. Oh and watch overweighting yourself. 30-some lbs of weight sounds excessive. That amount may make your bouancy less stable because you are going to need a lot of air in your suit or BC to counter it and therefore any small depth change is going to result in a huge bouancy change and needed adjustment, especailly at recreational depths. Last thing, for help staying level when hovering, try bending your legs in and arching your back. Its an odd feeling at first but it helps. Next time you go to a bookstore, pull a tech-diving magazine off of the shelf and look at the body position of the drysuit divers. You'll see what I'm talking about.
Techintime

#8 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 07 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Im not a fan of using the suit as your BC. First, you will likely have bouancy problems and (as you noted) problems staying level in the water. The reason is that the air in you suit is able to move around a lot more than the air in your BC. A better technique is to leave your arm valve full open and only put just enough air in your suit to keep it from squeezing the snot out of you...and not a molecule more.

Ditto all that, use the BC for buoyancy, only add enough air to suit to keep off the squeeze, keep your valve fully open and learn to just roll to the right to vent air.

Also, instead of adding more weight to your feet, try using thinner socks. I just use street socks and I'm fine, no need for ankle weights. Just go with the polypro "wicking" socks and not use the heavy insulated socks. The latter is what's making your feet buoyant. Also check the boot size. I had to get smaller boots put on because I have small feet for a guy.

Edited by Brinybay, 07 March 2008 - 12:23 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#9 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Like so much other SCUBA gear, a dry suit can feel cumbersome when you’re out of the water. Once I’m in the water, though, I actually feel more flexible in my dry suit than a wetsuit. I think it’s because I’m not fighting neoprene tension when I move, which is inevitable in a wetsuit. On the other hand, my dry suit generates more drag than a wetsuit, so, it’s a tradeoff. All things considered, I would still rather dive wet when I can. But, the dry suit is a must in cold water, and where my dive profile requires it for buoyancy management and safety reasons.

I’ve resisted using ankle weights to keep my feet down because they add inertia to my feet. That can tire you out faster if you’re doing a lot of kicking. I’ve gotten good results with ankle straps that resist gas going into my feet. When that’s not working, I sometimes just blow a bubble of gas into my hood for a little head lift. People don't call me fat head for nothin.

BTW, nice gloves.

Edited by BubbleBoy, 07 March 2008 - 08:22 AM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

then put on some thick gloves ..... Now I was ready to put on the dry suit

Really? In that order?

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:22 AM

Im not a fan of using the suit as your BC. First, you will likely have bouancy problems and (as you noted) problems staying level in the water. The reason is that the air in you suit is able to move around a lot more than the air in your BC

I absolutely agree! One point you didn't say is that it's a lot easier and quicker to get air out of a BC than a suit, so on ascent you want to vent your suit before your BC so you always have air left in your BC. That way if you get an incipient uncontrolled ascent (horribly easy when you have so much air around you) you can quickly dump the air from your BC, breathe out, and hopefully get the situation back under control.

The other point, which you got near but didn't quite state, is that if you have a lot of air in your suit and for whatever reason go head down, all that air will rush to your boots and put you in grave danger of a feet-first uncontrolled ascent, the most dreaded of all drysuit scenarios. In your training you will have practiced ad nauseam getting out of these situations, so that you can let it run for maybe 10 feet then stop it in the next two. Anyone diving a drysuit who hasn't practiced this extensively in shallow water (where an ascent becomes runaway very quickly) is an accident waiting to happen.

#12 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:10 PM

Hey everyone those are some really great tips :cool2:

Chuck I think taking my dry suit to the Flower Gardens this year would be overkill, When we where there last time I was diving a 3/2 and that worked out perfectly and I never got cold, remember those strong currents between the anchor line and the ladder line? the drag with the dry suit would make it even worse. Now WW made it look easy.

I just noticed a typo above. chest waiters should be chest waders, I think chest waiters are ladies that work at HOOTERS :)

Bubski

Amazon.com

#13 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

I just noticed a typo above. chest waiters should be chest waders, I think chest waiters are ladies that work at HOOTERS :)

Bubski

The politically correct term would be "Chest Waitrons"

Oh, and congrats on the dry suit!

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#14 techintime

techintime

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Master diver, TDI Deco diver and adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Good discussion. PS I love my Dive Rite 905. I went for the chest zipper so that I can get myself in and out of it and triple check that the zipper is in fact fully closed. I made the same mistake on the boots and went too big thinking I needed room for big socks. I haven't changed them out yet, but that is defineitely in my future. Oh and don't skimp on the underwear. That said, there is nothing unique about drysuit underwear. You can buy good stuff at any sporting goods store that is intended for any other outdoor activity such as hunting...just skip the stuff with a hood. The same prinicpal of layering applies to staying warm in a drysuit that applies to any other cold weather activity.
Also, let me add my voice to the choir on the uncontrolled ascent training...not hard, but a basic safety necessity and not the kind of thing you want to try to figure out when you find yourself in a bind. :cool2:
Techintime

#15 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I enjoy diving in a dry suite but it does take practice especially adjusting buoyancy. It is nice to have more options on where to dive.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users