• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Great Hammerhead caught off Singer Island - WPB

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hi S. Florida and WPB Divers,
What's the deal on that 14' Great Hammerhead caught by rod & reel off Singer Island, WPB March 5 or 6.
Looked like a big fish on my local NBC news affiliates 12n newscast??
Thanks, :cheerleader:
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#2 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi S. Florida and WPB Divers,
What's the deal on that 14' Great Hammerhead caught by rod & reel off Singer Island, WPB March 5 or 6.
Looked like a big fish on my local NBC news affiliates 12n newscast??
Thanks, :banghead:
Stan

GGggrrrrrr... I have no idea but will check it out............gggrrrrrrr....
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#3 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

This is the post on scuba diving magazine board:

Palm Beach County, Florida - A hammerhead shark measuring more than 13 feet and weighing more than a thousand pounds was caught Wednesday off Singer Island, that's in Palm Beach County. The fisherman who caught the shark says when they tried to weigh it the scale stopped working at 1,038 pounds.

The man who caught the shark, Fritz Van Der Grift says he never intended to kill the shark, he says he just wanted to get a few pictures. But the creature was injured in the fight and became exhausted and drowned.

Marine experts say while the shark didn't live, research that can be done on the animal can help experts for years to come. The sharks are not protected and experts say the shark is not a man-eater. One boat captain says he wouldn't have any problem swimming with a hammerhead.

The leviathan's organs will be flown to labs as far away as San Diego for research.

http://www.tampabays...x?storyid=75544
Tampa Bay's 10 News

Susie

#4 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

I had caught a real quick blurb and was wondering what happened.......

#5 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

This is the post on scuba diving magazine board:

Palm Beach County, Florida - A hammerhead shark measuring more than 13 feet and weighing more than a thousand pounds was caught Wednesday off Singer Island, that's in Palm Beach County. The fisherman who caught the shark says when they tried to weigh it the scale stopped working at 1,038 pounds.

The man who caught the shark, Fritz Van Der Grift says he never intended to kill the shark, he says he just wanted to get a few pictures. But the creature was injured in the fight and became exhausted and drowned.

Marine experts say while the shark didn't live, research that can be done on the animal can help experts for years to come. The sharks are not protected and experts say the shark is not a man-eater. One boat captain says he wouldn't have any problem swimming with a hammerhead.

The leviathan's organs will be flown to labs as far away as San Diego for research.

http://www.tampabays...x?storyid=75544
Tampa Bay's 10 News

....the guy never intended to kill the shark ??? ...just get a few pictures ???? .....that's about as believable as the Japanese whaling fleets just doing whale 'research' !!!! Moronic twits like that are the reason I'm focusing my dive trips on trying to see the big critters before they're completely gone.......and forget about doing wreck/cave diving, as those things aren't going anywhere for a long time...folks, see the big animals before they're all exterminated....honestly, I believe we're living in the "last days" with respect to sea life, humanity is incapable of self control and will soon fish-out/climate change the world's oceans!

Susie

#6 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:10 AM

The only way a Hammerhead can "drown" is if it is pulled up into the air for several hours. Idiocy...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users