• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

BUDDYS ARE IMPORTANT

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:04 PM

Let's not bash here folks. Whether Solo, Buddy team, DIR, whatever, its all good. If it does not work for you then there are many options to make you happy. At the end of the day we all suck down compressed O2 (or at least a percentage of it :fish2: ) and want to have a good time doing it.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#17 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

No one's bashing. We are all calmly sharing differences of opinion in an appropriate arena for such discussion. My comment on DIR being outnumbered was simply to illustrate the lack of knowledge many divers have about what DIR is and how it works. Many divers utilize the system or parts of it with great success. These topics can get passionate as diving is a brotherhood and no one wants to see any of their brothers or sisters not make it back at the end of the day (that is the number one objective of any dive right, make it back safely?). We just all have different opinions as to just how best to make that happen. Safe diving to all from the 'Zerker.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#18 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

Let's not bash here folks. Whether Solo, Buddy team, DIR, whatever, its all good. If it does not work for you then there are many options to make you happy. At the end of the day we all suck down compressed O2 (or at least a percentage of it :teeth: ) and want to have a good time doing it.

Well said Simon! :)
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#19 KeithT4U

KeithT4U

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water with over 20 dives in variety of locations, mucky lakes to FL reefs
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

Wow has this topic hit a nerve with some. I always dive with an instabuddy and have yet to have a problem. Communication is a big key for any team, above or below the water. I think there is a lot of details left out of this post as it was meant to illistrate the importance of buddies and good communication not to be picked apart to all that might have gone wrong. I am just glad to hear that every one made it to shore ok and the only asting problem was a bruised ego and some bad feelings. I hope thinks go better in the future for both members of the team.

Keith
If at first you don't suceed.....don't try sky diving.
Women should always think beauty over brains since men can see much further than they can think. :)

#20 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hello all, if I inadvertantly did any of the "bashing" then I do apologize. I agree that the discussion has brought about many thought processes for many people and that we all have differences as well as similarities. I have often witnessed that we humans tend to leave out facts and/or that there is three sides to a story.

#21 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

I have to ask myself, did his buddy have an issue and this was not mentioned in the post?????

Well he "assumed" his buddy was following, I always put the buddy with less experience in front where I can see them or right along side me.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#22 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

I have to ask myself, did his buddy have an issue and this was not mentioned in the post?????

Well he "assumed" his buddy was following, I always put the buddy with less experience in front where I can see them or right along side me.

There really is no correct place to always put the inexperienced buddy. If you put them in front then they can take off quickly and you have to catch them. If they are trailing then they can't keep up if they are on the side then they can tend to wander off further to the side. Its all a matter of practice and a learning curve. DIR works for those that practice it. Not everyone want s to be that rigid in their diving. There are other missions to follow vis a vie photographers like to solo if for no other reason than not having their buddy scare away what they are trying to take a picture of.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#23 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

I wanted to share my experience with a buddy I had while in training for AOW....

We were to follow a horizontal rope line across Lake Whitney....It was cloudy...the kinda clarity 5 fingers in yur mask couldn't see...clarity... I manuvered over the line and thought my buddy was following...my leg wrapped around the line...and I was next to a vertical bouy line...that was 30 feet up to the surface......I tried to cut the line...but couldnt get untangled...my regulator was fouled..and I managed to get my octo...no buddy!!...afetr a 360 spin...I managed to pull myself to the surface...and inflated my BC to Max...as the line was still wrapped around my ankle...attempting to pull me down...The instructor came back....after about 5 min...and cut me loose....I went to shore and after cussing the buddy off...I left...I felt my buddy wasnt...so now I get to know my buddy before a dive...and their equipment...as well as training...

Well I would say your first mistake was assuming your buddy was following. At any point did you turn to verify this? Poor vis requires much more than a casual buddy dive, it needs to be planned for. While you are cussing out your buddy say a few for yourself for leaving him/her. It takes two people to seperate. You may well have left your buddy hanging when they had an issue and then got in trouble yourself later on.

As you learned, entanglements are probably the worst thing that can happen to a solo diver. It just is not always possible to cut yourself free. Whether on purpose or inadverdantly, when solo diving the best advice I can give on getting out of entanglements is not to get tangled in the first place. Not much help I know.
________________________________________________________________________________
Solo diving is not nonsense, and neither is DIR. Of course neither of those methodologies is the be all end all to diving either. One the epitomy of self reliance, the other team work. Both require training, skill, experience, and attention to detail in order to work successfully.

There are extreme opinions on both sides, and both make some excellent points. However if you are firmly entrenched in one camp or the other, then I feel you lack the vision to be a well rounded diver. No one philosophy fits every situation.

I can be an attentive buddy even when working the camera. If you need me to be there for you I am. OTH I can also be confident and content to be 100% solo if the conditions are within my training and limits.

I personally try to use my training and experience to adapt to whatever the situation demands. To me that is diving, as well as living.

When I first learned of the DIR concept, I thought what a bunch of maroons. Here are all these egotists putting down everything that isn't DIR, and they lack the forethought and imagination to research and purchase their own gear and put it together by themselves. Everybody has to 100% the same.

I was wrong. I have further researched the DIR concept and found many great ideas that I employ in my own diving. I also found many DIR divers to be anything but the robots I first thought them to be.

My point? Never dismiss something out of hand, just because it goes against what you have learned or experienced in life so far doesn't make it worthless or "nonsense".

An open mind grows fat with possibility.

Or your brains can fall out, take your pic! :)

Edited by ScubaDrew, 13 May 2008 - 01:39 PM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#24 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

Well said ScubaDrew

#25 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:18 PM

I also agree, great thoughts ScubaDrew. Thank you for sharing. I too appreciate the differing opinions and philosophies. Without exchange of these how would I learn what differs from my own opinions and methods? How would I learn anything new? May the polite exchange continue. :)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#26 Yohanson

Yohanson

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

I only have a little more than 100 dives under my belt (hmmm, I don't wear a weight belt) but about 20% of them have been with buddies that are on the WKPP teams. I'm adopting their gear configuration (very little Halcyon though...mostly Dive Rite and OMS) and most every other part of the DIR philosophy. I've also been told I have "excellent buddy skills". But, my last dive was solo and I don't hesitate to go diving alone. But, when I do, I make sure all my life support equipment is redundant.

My point being you can do it both ways. That and I'd rather dive solo than with a bad (bad as in poor attitude/selfish behavior, not inexperienced) diver. With a GUE/DIR buddy, there is a much higher level of confidence in their ability and a much higher expectation that they will be there to bail you out. I would never rely on an istabuddy to bail me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users