• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diver death in Blue Springs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jocasseegirl

Jocasseegirl

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Cert Level:Got my OW at Lake Jocassee in September, 2005 (with Bill Routh)
  • Logged Dives:15-ish

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

An experienced diver, Joel Tubbs, died Sunday while diving in Blue Springs. Joel was a close friend of Charles Johnson and Jackie Smith, who died a couple of years ago. I didn't see anything posted about this. Sorry if it's a duplicate. I know that OTWDiver would want to know, if he doesn't already. He is survived by his wife, Christy, who lives in Alabama.
Following Him,

Jocasseegirl (aka Debbie Fletcher)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:47 AM

My Thoughts and Prayers go out to the family and friends!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

Additional information:

"Man Dies in Jackson County Cave

A late night dive turns tragic for an Alabama man cave diving in Jackson County. Last night at about 10:30 Joel Tubbs and his dive partner got to blue spring they descended downward to Jackson Blue Cave, but something went wrong.

According to Edd Sorenson of Cave Adventurer's Tubbs and his partner were going into the cave following a dive line when something happened to Tubbs. The woman he was with looked back and saw his underwater scooter sinking and saw Tubbs at the ceiling of the cave with his regulator out of his mouth. Sorenson says he was already dead by the time she got to him.

Sorenson inspected the gear Tubbs was using and says it was functioning properly. He adds at this point it appears Tubbs suffered a heart attack and drowned.

Sorenson says if someone has not gone diving in a while or is using new gear it can lead to panic which he believes may have happened here.

'Anything that goes wrong you have to fix it or get out before you're not breathing anymore,' said Sorenson.

Tubbs died near the mouth of the cave so his partner was able to pull him out of the cave. Sorenson later recovered the body. He says he considered Tubbs a friend and says he's been diving for almost 20 years. He says this was just a tragedy.

Jackson County caves draw crowds from all over the world and people frequently dive in the caves at night after getting a key to Blue Springs Park from the sheriff's office which is available 24 hours a day."
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Such a tragedy...My prayers go out to this family.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#5 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

How terribly sad... our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users