• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Plastic Bags and the ocean

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

My daughter sent me this link today: http://www.poconorec...EDIA02/80505016

I had no idea of the extent of this problem! I thought they were easily recycled. There was nothing in the local news when San Francisco put a ban on plastic bags...

I'm getting cloth bags tonight, and will keep them in my vehicle! Anybody else with me?
Posted Image

#2 weeble

weeble

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:open water/ new to diving
  • Logged Dives:just certified

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

My daughter sent me this link today: http://www.poconorec...EDIA02/80505016

I had no idea of the extent of this problem! I thought they were easily recycled. There was nothing in the local news when San Francisco put a ban on plastic bags...

I'm getting cloth bags tonight, and will keep them in my vehicle! Anybody else with me?

see turtles often eat them because they think they are jellyfish ..TERRIBLE

#3 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the post!!

I will show it at work for a safety/environmental moment!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

We've been using the reusable bags for years and do our best to reduce plastic bag use. Another tip to keep in mind at the grocery store is to think about produce bags. Do you really need a separate plastic bag for your produce (very little produce actually needs it) or can you simply put the items in your cart to be unloaded and then put into your reusable bag. I only take plastic bags for a few things nows such as parsley since it will go limp very quickly otherwise.

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

We've been using the reusable bags for years and do our best to reduce plastic bag use. Another tip to keep in mind at the grocery store is to think about produce bags. Do you really need a separate plastic bag for your produce (very little produce actually needs it) or can you simply put the items in your cart to be unloaded and then put into your reusable bag. I only take plastic bags for a few things nows such as parsley since it will go limp very quickly otherwise.

I also do this. I am going to wash off my produce once I bring it home anyway. So, I don't see the need for putting it into a plastic bag. Hey, it was on the ground or in a tree, exposed to whatever is going to get on it long before it arrived at the store. So, don't think you are doing much to keep it from getting "dirty" by wasting a plastic bag on it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 CvilleBill

CvilleBill

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Logged Dives:111

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:20 PM

I completely agree w/everything ScubaDadMiami & cmt489 said! Been using reusable bags for a while now. It's so disheartening to know that <<10% of plastic bags are recycled. And the tragic consequences are readily seen: N Pacific gyre & the impact on sea turtles, birds and other creatures. Incredibly sad...

The only thing I use the dreaded bags for are leaky items from the meat department. Sorry guys, if memory serves from earlier posts, both of you are veg/vegan. Please know that I have a lot of respect for that choice, and frequently enjoy meatless meals in addition to my evil omnivore ways! :birthday:

Edited by CvilleBill, 17 July 2008 - 02:30 PM.

So many islands, so little time...

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

I completely agree w/everything ScubaDadMiami & cmt489 said! Been using reusable bags for a while now. It's so disheartening to know that <<10% of plastic bags are recycled. And the tragic consequences are readily seen: N Pacific gyre & the impact on sea turtles, birds and other creatures. Incredibly sad...

The only thing I use the dreaded bags for are leaky items from the meat department. Sorry guys, if memory serves from earlier posts, both of you are veg/vegan. Please know that I have a lot of respect for that choice, and frequently enjoy meatless meals in addition to my evil omnivore ways! :dance:

It's not just bags, party ballons that go up leak down and land in the ocean, the mylar ones lose their color and soon look like a turtles favorite meal. :)

A good source lately for cloth bags has been dive travel shows, the vendors use them instead of plastic :diver: and I have a few that I use to go shopping.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

Knew it was bad.. but not this bad. Will definitely try to spread the word. And I will continue to use my reusable trader joes' bags at Ralphs despite the funny looks!! Thanks for the info.

DG

#9 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:15 AM

This is a huge problem in less developed countires but in Europe, attitudes have changes over the last 10 years or so. The Irish government imposed a tax on supermarket bags - made people think when they had to pay for their bag. Plus most are biodegradable and rEusable bags are very popular now - lets hope it all makes a real difference over the long term. In Egypt I once thought I saw a hammerhead in the distance - turned out it was a bag....
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#10 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:05 AM

I'm no scientist so I don't know the answer to this, but maybe someone can answer my question. I've used plastic bags and continue to use them because I reuse them as trash bags rather than large plastic trash bags. I rarely use large trash bags unless I'm raking mounds of leaves in the fall. Anyone out there know if those big black trash bags are also part of this problem? Is there a better option to use instead of those big trash bags?

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

This is one area where I don't walk the talk, but should. I get far too many plastic bags from the local grocery store and don't use reusable ones at all (shame on me). I do recycle all the plastic bags I use however, but really should make the switch to cloth bags.

I see plastic bags, balloons and other crud out there in the ocean. Once I even started approaching a "jellyfish" with my camera rolling... until it slowly came into focus and I realized it was a mylar balloon! I often see various fish nipping at the plastic in the ocean and know that fish like Molas mistake them for food.

PS- Wow, after reading that I may have to make the switch now. I had no idea that recycling plastic bags was such an inefficient "solution."

Edited by drbill, 18 July 2008 - 08:50 AM.

#12 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, the recycle folks in James City County, VA will not recycle plastic bags. They recycle paper, but not plastic, so I refuse to use plastic. I have recently been using reusable cloth/canvas bags.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#13 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

I'm no scientist so I don't know the answer to this, but maybe someone can answer my question. I've used plastic bags and continue to use them because I reuse them as trash bags rather than large plastic trash bags. I rarely use large trash bags unless I'm raking mounds of leaves in the fall. Anyone out there know if those big black trash bags are also part of this problem? Is there a better option to use instead of those big trash bags?

This is certainly better than throwing them away and, since they go to the landfill, they are not just flying into the ocean. But think about it. How many more small plastic bags do you have to use instead of one larger one? You can also buy biodegradible trash bags as well as trash bags made from recycled plastic. These are the only two kinds of trash bags I buy. They are not as strong and they do cost more, but, in the long run, I really don't need that industrial strength trash bag for my home garbage. I also use biodegradible bags for pick up bags for my pooch. Also make sure to reuse in any way you can any plastic bags you still receive (there is no way to get away from plastic entirely). Also be sure to be vocal about the fact that you do not want a bag (plastic or paper) unless it is absolutely necessary. Reuse you paper bags as well before recycling them - it actually takes more energy to produce one paper bag than a plastic one so remember to make it more than a one use bag! If you need bigger bags, you can buy large reusable shopping bags at places like Ikea and Costco. Carefully sort through you regular garbage to make sure everything that can be recycled is. We have three bins in our storage room to sort the recycling and make storage easier. Small steps really do make a huge difference!

#14 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

The only thing I use the dreaded bags for are leaky items from the meat department. Sorry guys, if memory serves from earlier posts, both of you are veg/vegan. Please know that I have a lot of respect for that choice, and frequently enjoy meatless meals in addition to my evil omnivore ways! :teeth:

No need to be appologetic. You are already making good choices. Besides, neither George nor my pets are veg so I am just there to balance out the household :wakawaka:

#15 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

This is certainly better than throwing them away and, since they go to the landfill, they are not just flying into the ocean. But think about it. How many more small plastic bags do you have to use instead of one larger one? You can also buy biodegradible trash bags as well as trash bags made from recycled plastic. These are the only two kinds of trash bags I buy. They are not as strong and they do cost more, but, in the long run, I really don't need that industrial strength trash bag for my home garbage. I also use biodegradible bags for pick up bags for my pooch. Also make sure to reuse in any way you can any plastic bags you still receive (there is no way to get away from plastic entirely). Also be sure to be vocal about the fact that you do not want a bag (plastic or paper) unless it is absolutely necessary. Reuse you paper bags as well before recycling them - it actually takes more energy to produce one paper bag than a plastic one so remember to make it more than a one use bag! If you need bigger bags, you can buy large reusable shopping bags at places like Ikea and Costco. Carefully sort through you regular garbage to make sure everything that can be recycled is. We have three bins in our storage room to sort the recycling and make storage easier. Small steps really do make a huge difference!

Well said. I will definitely be more conscious of my choices in bags - I know it will take me a bit to really transition but it will happen. I'm already using a backpack for the occasional grocery trip via bicycle. (The big trips via car I've been using the plastic bags, so that's next!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users