• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A reminder of pressure calculations

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Not that I was holding my breath...but I was glad to use one of the Cochran computers from WW on my last dive trip. I kept thinking I was going REALLY slow up as I ascended, but tried to stay in the safe range all the way up. I've since learned that the ascent rate I knew from 12 years ago of 60 ft per minute has been changed to 30 ft per minute. My scuba review didn't bring that to my attention. When did this change?

60 or 30 those are maximums. Slower the ascent the better. The 3 minute safety stop is another one. You can do one 5 - 8 minutes or longer as long as you have air. Does not hurt anything.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#17 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

Similarly, the PADI tables say that you're clear of excess nitrogen 6 hours after any recreational diving no matter how intensive, whereas most computers still penalise you up to 24 hours and some go to 48 hours or even longer.

No. Sorry that is simply not correct. The PADI tables show that if you dive to 35' for up to 205 minutes then after a 3 - 6 hour SI you are back in pressure group A for subsequent dives. This means you add 3 - 10 minutes Residual Nitrogen Time to your expected bottom time of your next dive as based on the depth of your subsequent dive. This in effect decreases your bottom time for any subsequent dive. This is consistent with dive computers which do exactly the same thing. The advantage of DC's is they track actual nitrogen exposures based on your profile(s) over multiple dives. However, they use different numbers of compartments and even different algorithms in some cases. So it is apples and oranges. Not sure what you mean by 'penalize'. After a 6+ hour SI my computer does not restrict my dives by any noticeable amount.

It is possible the conservancy factor in the tables makes 6 hours the tipping point in the calculations, where N2 is so small it cannot be accounted for effectively. However, no where on the tables does it say you are clear of N2. Hence the 12 hour (single dive) and 18 hour (multiple dive) no fly warning on the back side of the tables.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:47 PM

Regardless of your pressure group, the surface interval table shows you "clear" after a period not exceeding 6 hours.

#19 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:55 PM

Boys --- Boys , you're both beautiful

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users