• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

the "O" and Key Largo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ncdivegirl

ncdivegirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:176

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

I am trying to plan a quick vacation and get some good dives in, Key Largo is definate, and have friend who may come but can not do the "O" is there any good Open Water diving she can do while I do the "O" or do I just plan to do Key Largo and plan the "O" Later...............any suggeations would be appreciated.
R
He smiled as he looked at the water. It was such a tender smile and so happy, I decided right then that I wanted to make him smile like that again and again and that I wanted to look at that smile until the day I died.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change
Courage to change the things I can and the
Wisdom to know the difference

When you step away from honesty, you are just talking the long route. Eventually you will end up there anyway.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorow.

#2 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

I am trying to plan a quick vacation and get some good dives in, Key Largo is definate, and have friend who may come but can not do the "O" is there any good Open Water diving she can do while I do the "O" or do I just plan to do Key Largo and plan the "O" Later...............any suggeations would be appreciated.

You realize The Oriskany is up near Penscola....? About 730 miles from Key Largo....

While I've not done the "O", or other Pensacola sites, diving in the Gulf means long boat rides for generally poorer conditions than say Key Largo... Colder, Greener water, and less viz... The 'O' is a 1-2 hour boat ride depending on the op and their cruising speed.

Why can't she do the 'O'....? Key Largo 'generally' is two different types of diving.... extremely shallow patch reefs, i.e. Molasses, 15-30'; or AOW wrecks like the Duane, Grove, Bibb, Eagle.... So it's either ~30' or 130'... (yes I know I'm generalizing....)

For more variety you can head north to Pompano area for ~20' shallow sites, ~40-80' wrecks and reefs and deeper wrecks to your hearts content....
The reefs in Broward and Palm Beach counties are more ledge systems we run as drifts right off shore... dosn't get much easier than that....

It's ~90 mins from Pompano to Key Largo so taking in both locales is certainly do-able over a few days trip.

And the reefs are better more north, Boynton is my fav, I tend to think Jupiter is a bit dusty and patchy.... But Hole In The Wall and 50 Goliaths at once is a sight to see...

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

R

Are you talking about the Oriskany? She's off Pensacola - which is about a 10-12 hour drive from Key Largo. Around Key Largo there are all kinds of good dive sites from beginner on up... Maybe you're thinking the Spiegel Grove (which is a nice dive in good conditions, especially now that she's sitting upright)
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

You realize The Oriskany is up near Penscola....? About 730 miles from Key Largo....

While I've not done the "O", or other Pensacola sites, diving in the Gulf means long boat rides for generally poorer conditions than say Key Largo... Colder, Greener water, and less viz... The 'O' is a 1-2 hour boat ride depending on the op and their cruising speed.

Why can't she do the 'O'....? Key Largo 'generally' is two different types of diving.... extremely shallow patch reefs, i.e. Molasses, 15-30'; or AOW wrecks like the Duane, Grove, Bibb, Eagle.... So it's either ~30' or 130'... (yes I know I'm generalizing....)

For more variety you can head north to Pompano area for ~20' shallow sites, ~40-80' wrecks and reefs and deeper wrecks to your hearts content....
The reefs in Broward and Palm Beach counties are more ledge systems we run as drifts right off shore... dosn't get much easier than that....

It's ~90 mins from Pompano to Key Largo so taking in both locales is certainly do-able over a few days trip.

And the reefs are better more north, Boynton is my fav, I tend to think Jupiter is a bit dusty and patchy.... But Hole In The Wall and 50 Goliaths at once is a sight to see...

-Tim

What Tim said!! If you go a little further south to Islamorada they have some deeper reefs or conch wall off of Tavernier. But Tim is without a doubt correct. The reefs are prettier from Pompano north. My favorite reef system is Jupiter though.....I saw a lemon shark on Friday!!!! Not to mention the numerous Goliaths, turtles and other sharks

#5 ncdivegirl

ncdivegirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

-Tim

What Tim said!! If you go a little further south to Islamorada they have some deeper reefs or conch wall off of Tavernier. But Tim is without a doubt correct. The reefs are prettier from Pompano north. My favorite reef system is Jupiter though.....I saw a lemon shark on Friday!!!! Not to mention the numerous Goliaths, turtles and other sharks

He smiled as he looked at the water. It was such a tender smile and so happy, I decided right then that I wanted to make him smile like that again and again and that I wanted to look at that smile until the day I died.

When you step away from honesty, you are just talking the long route. Eventually you will end up there anyway.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorow.

#6 ncdivegirl

ncdivegirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

I am really getting good info :teeth: and yes I did know the distances that we will be covering, that was one of the reasons I wanted help in planning and for the different styles of diving that me and her have. There are some great suggestions and responses thanks

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I'd make it two trips. That would be a lot of driving that would make for some down time if you tried to do it all in one trip. I would not suggest trying to dive the Oriskany outside of the Summer months.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

I'd make it two trips. That would be a lot of driving that would make for some down time if you tried to do it all in one trip. I would not suggest trying to dive the Oriskany outside of the Summer months.

Ditto SDM's advice, especially on the amount of driving involved. I just returned to SW Georgia from the Keys and the weather was above average for mid winter. Per the local dive ops, about every third or fourth day the easterly trades abate while continental weather fronts push through, creating optimal surface conditions.

Finally (finally FINALLY) dived the Duane! Photos worthy of my (now world famous) Singapore Two Step :o to follow.

Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users