• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

One of our Very Own...TSSPLASH

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

World Record Diving Attempt

An official date of Sept. 24-28, 2004 (could change due to weather, etc..) has been set for the World’s Record “World’s Longest Scuba-dive” attempt by an experienced Diver from Scottsville, Kentucky by the name of Tony Smith. The location of this dive has been set at a large spring-fed quarry (technically a lake to satisfy record requirements) just west of Lebannon, TN. The name of this facility is called Martha’s Quarry, named after the community in which it resides. Lebannon, TN’s location is just a few miles east of Nashville, TN. This facilities proximity to top notch Medical facilities such as Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and it’s supply of medical resources have made it a prime location for this event.

The current Record of 71 hours, and 40 minutes was set by a Tennessee Diver by the name of Jerry Hall in August, 2002. Although the body of water Tony Smith will be diving in well exceeds 100 feet in depth, Tony will only be reaching a maximum depth of 35 feet, and if all goes accordingly will exceed the current record, and will push for a 100 plus hour mark.

This event will not only be carried out for the purpose of human endurance, but also for the sake of scientific study. This dive will be monitored by many professionals from the Medical field, well documented with official written logs, underwater photography, underwater video, and much more. The diver’s vitals will be monitored around the clock throughout the duration of this very lengthy dive. With the constant monitoring, mental awareness tests, and memory tests, Tony will be very busy during this lengthy, but hopefully productive underwater endeavor.

Much of the equipment for this World-Record dive attempt will be exclusively custom-made, or furnished by sponsoring Companies, and some designed specifically for this dive. (Oceanreef, White’s Drysuits, Cochran dive computers, etc…) Assuming the logos are furnished, their company names, and equipment will be given public exposure in gratitude for making this event possible. This event will also be raising funds to support “DAN Research”. (Diver’s Alert Network) Donations will be taken through Singledivers.com website.
- 1 -

Tony’s support team will consist of 30 plus professionals, and safety divers including a Physician/Medical professional to monitor his condition around the clock, a highly experienced Dive Supervisor, not to mention the army of support divers from both the Professional, and Technical areas of the Diving Industry who will be with Tony at all times. The list of experience/qualifications of this team that has been assembled for this event is far too extensive to go into here. Needless to say, Tony will be in very capable hands, and has all the necessary support, and safety nets available.

Tony will also undergo a monitored recovery process for several days for much the same reason as an astronaut (also in a weightless environment) returning from space would.

We are expecting the media coverage to be very good for this event. The companies who are involved should get some great publicity from this World Record attempt. We will be contacting all the appropriate news sources to inform them when, and where this International event will happen, and expect to see them sending news crews up for live coverage of the dive. One of the major companies (Oceanreef out of Italy) supporting this event has promised the use of a remote transmitter that the news agencies can hook-up to transmit live underwater audio/video feed from. Exposure will depend ofcourse on what happens to be on the news that day, but it could most definitely receive some great attention for both the Diving Industry, the companies involved, and their products. We are very pleased with the eager response from companies interested in supporting this event.

If you have any questions about this event please e-mail Tony at tssplash@aol.com.

- 2 -

Edited by WreckWench, 24 August 2004 - 08:48 PM.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 mostlysingle

mostlysingle

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/NITROX
  • Logged Dives:50-ISH

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

OK, I must say that curiosity got the best of me and I actually emailed Tony regarding his record attempt. The main focus of my email was whether there would be any sort of live webcam available for those of us who would like to see some of the event, but can’t actually make it there. Tony responded with lightening speed, but apologized that due to the remoteness there would not be any live webcam available. After asking what my affiliation was, he gave this group quite a compliment by saying that “Tell everyone I said that I appreciate their support. There's a great group of divers on that board. Maybe when all this is over I'll be able to find more time to visit you all.”

So, lets all wish him well when his day arrives. I am sure at some point or another the research gained by events like these will all benefit us somehow.

#3 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

Tony pushing the envelope for research. Please tell him to be safe. This will be very interesting research.

Kamala,

Thanks for sharing with us.

#4 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Cert Level:Experienced

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

Important update coming within the next couple of days. A good thing appears that it just got better. :teeth:

#5 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

Good luck Tony .... Be safe.

Gar
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#6 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:49 AM

Just found this on the net:
http://www.thewilmsl...icle_11803.html
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Jamie...I think several people are attempting the dive...however if anyone can succeed I think its' Tony! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#8 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:39 PM

The guy in the tank on the post Jextract has posted is doing a different record. His record is "World's Longest dive in a controlled environment". The dive we are doing is in open water. The current Guinness Record for this dive is 71 hours, 39 minutes, and 40 seconds held by Jerry Hall. (U.S.) The tank diving has a much longer record time because the water temperature, etc...is controlled. We decided to do this project in a more realistic environment in order to gain more realistic scientific data.

The unseasonably cool temperatures are causing our water temperatures in this area to begin to plummet. We planned this dive for this time of the year because this is the time that the water is "usually" the warmest, and to avoid risks of hypothermia into the later hours of this dive. These record low temps that we are experiencing are forcing us to explore other options. We've also had some problems getting our custom-made equipment from our International sponsors on time for the test dives, along with a couple of other "forseen" issues. These setbacks have been planned for, and other options are in the works. You can expect a delay of this dive. I cannot go into alot of detail but it's safe to say at this point that you can expect to have more time for the fundraising for DAN research effort.

All the equipment that has been specifically designed, and fabricated for this dive is now in. All the other equipment has been received as well. We are seeking a facility that will better suit the changing conditions of this dive. More updates to follow.

Thank you for your support.

tssplash :thankyou:

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

Ok its official...the dive has been pushed back to Sept 24-28th and the location has been changed to outside of Nashville. I'll post the new press release for full details! -ww

This is good news for our recruiting efforts and fundraising efforts! -ww

formerly...

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:47 PM

World Record Diving Attempt

An official date of Sept. 24-28, 2004 (could change due to weather, etc..) has been set for the World’s Record “World’s Longest Scuba-dive” attempt by an experienced Diver from Scottsville, Kentucky by the name of Tony Smith. The location of this dive has been set at a large spring-fed quarry (technically a lake to satisfy record requirements) just west of Lebannon, TN. The name of this facility is called Martha’s Quarry, named after the community in which it resides. Lebannon, TN’s location is just a few miles east of Nashville, TN. This facilities proximity to top notch Medical facilities such as Vanderbilt University Medical Center, and it’s supply of medical resources have made it a prime location for this event.

The current Record of 71 hours, and 40 minutes was set by a Tennessee Diver by the name of Jerry Hall in August, 2002. Although the body of water Tony Smith will be diving in well exceeds 100 feet in depth, Tony will only be reaching a maximum depth of 35 feet, and if all goes accordingly will exceed the current record, and will push for a 100 plus hour mark.

This event will not only be carried out for the purpose of human endurance, but also for the sake of scientific study. This dive will be monitored by many professionals from the Medical field, well documented with official written logs, underwater photography, underwater video, and much more. The diver’s vitals will be monitored around the clock throughout the duration of this very lengthy dive. With the constant monitoring, mental awareness tests, and memory tests, Tony will be very busy during this lengthy, but hopefully productive underwater endeavor.

Much of the equipment for this World-Record dive attempt will be exclusively custom-made, or furnished by sponsoring Companies, and some designed specifically for this dive. (Oceanreef, White’s Drysuits, Cochran dive computers, etc…) Assuming the logos are furnished, their company names, and equipment will be given public exposure in gratitude for making this event possible. This event will also be raising funds to support “DAN Research”. (Diver’s Alert Network) Donations will be taken through Singledivers.com website.
- 1 -

Tony’s support team will consist of 30 plus professionals, and safety divers including a Physician/Medical professional to monitor his condition around the clock, a highly experienced Dive Supervisor, not to mention the army of support divers from both the Professional, and Technical areas of the Diving Industry who will be with Tony at all times. The list of experience/qualifications of this team that has been assembled for this event is far too extensive to go into here. Needless to say, Tony will be in very capable hands, and has all the necessary support, and safety nets available.

Tony will also undergo a monitored recovery process for several days for much the same reason as an astronaut (also in a weightless environment) returning from space would.

We are expecting the media coverage to be very good for this event. The companies who are involved should get some great publicity from this World Record attempt. We will be contacting all the appropriate news sources to inform them when, and where this International event will happen, and expect to see them sending news crews up for live coverage of the dive. One of the major companies (Oceanreef out of Italy) supporting this event has promised the use of a remote transmitter that the news agencies can hook-up to transmit live underwater audio/video feed from. Exposure will depend ofcourse on what happens to be on the news that day, but it could most definitely receive some great attention for both the Diving Industry, the companies involved, and their products. We are very pleased with the eager response from companies interested in supporting this event.

If you have any questions about this event please e-mail Tony at tssplash@aol.com.

- 2 -

formerly...

#11 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Kamala! The only thing I forgot to change on this update was that the maximum depth at Martha's Quarry is approximately 60 feet. This will help maintain the water temperatures for this dive. If anyone else here needs directions on how to get to this place feel free to e-mail me at the address on the update.

ts :teeth:

#12 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

thanks for keeping us updated, good luck tony! :welcome:
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#13 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:32 PM

Wow! Good luck! Can't wait to hear the results. Record or not - just cool that you're going for it!

#14 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 05 September 2004 - 08:09 AM

I just read this in the paper this morning - looks like TSSplash will have a bit longer to break the record.

Man Beats His Own Underwater Record - Hampton, TN. A Tennessee man beat his own record for staying underwater with scuba gear after five days in a lake - complete with recliner, a checkerboard, music and good friends to keep him company. Then Jerry Hall cheerfully signed a pledge to his wife never to do it again. "I had the easy job," Hall said. "It was my dive team that did all the work." Hall, 39, of Bluff City, Tenn., is in the current edition of the Guinness Book of World Records for staying underwater with scuba gear for 71 hours, 39 minutes and 40 seconds. He surpassed that Wednesday and didn't leave Tennessee's Watauga Lake until Friday morning with a record time of 120 hours, 1 minute and 25 seconds.

Good Luck TSSplash!
We're all rooting for you!

Edited by ioconsult, 05 September 2004 - 08:09 AM.

'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#15 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:46 PM

Yes, Jerry has set the bar quite high. I was going to be there when he came up, but because I was too busy to attend I did call just before Jerry came up and congratulated him. Just to show you the comradary that exists with the people involved in this I will tell you that Jerry's team has offered to help with our attempt if we need them. This is what I love most about this sport. We are very appreciative of this offer. I was also very pleased to see that he did a fund raiser this time as well. This is not a competitive thing for me in the least. I am very happy that Jerry was safe, successful, and that some good came from this. That is all that is important.

Since he set the time very close to the neighborhood of what we were planning we ofcourse are going to restrategize, and make some changes to our plan. This will no doubt postpone this attempt, and that will benefit us in many ways. I was really hoping for more money to be raised for DAN research. Maybe we can come up with a new plan to be more productive with that.

I'll let you know the new dates as soon as we've decided. We are having meetings on this matter now.

Thanks again for your continued support.

tssplash :welcome:

Edited by tssplash, 06 September 2004 - 06:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users