• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Bad vibes and diving alone,,,,,,,

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 TRINITY

TRINITY

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cert Level:Master
  • Logged Dives:1040

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hey NJB!
Sure dont want to get a young guy like you in trouble, I'm normally in enough for both of us , but I think you should continue the list. I enjoyed it!
Ahhhhh, and Deb, "I" was alone, and "I" called the dive, LMAO, it beat gnawing "my" arm off the next day. pm me on your thoughts that you didnt continue with, I'd like that, you made me smile,THANKS!,,,,,,T

#17 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I will see what else I came up with. Original list took about 15 min, and yes it is all original. I definitely would not be opposed to getting together for a dive/drink or both.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#18 ddierolf

ddierolf

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

I have aborted dives in the cooper for different reasons. Almost being impailed on a sharp tree branch was one of them. My favorite reason was when something drug across the back of my legs and rolled me across the bottom of the river 5 times. I have to say, that was a very exciting time! I stayed on the bottom for about 5 mins after that just checking to see if my legs were still attached and to regain composure. After that, I surfaced and got back on the boat. I think it was the anchor line came loose but it was still enough for me to call that one!

I have to say, diving in that river, I am happy not to have people near me! I have had to many close misses with digging tools going into my hand, and getting kicked in the face with fins!

Who says diving can't be fun? :D

Which end is up?

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

That "bad vibe"? I have always attributed that to the unconscious mind operating ahead of the conscious mind. I feel that means that your senses have sent some input into your brain and that your brain hasn't fully processed the information yet, but is getting there.

It is similar that "word on the tip of your tongue" or "idea that you can't yet vocalize" concept.

As Peter stated, the first that that I do when it starts is to get my breathing under control. If I do that, I am thinking clearly and not letting the hyperventilation have its way with my reasoning (everyone knows about CO2 from hyperventilating, right? :birthday: ). The second thing that happens is that the dive is called or changed to a less risky plan B if my plans included that (which they normally do).

If it happens on the surface, I don't splash in. I try to dive in groups where no questions are asked about called dives. "Bad vibe", "doesn't feel right", "intuition", and the like are accepted as readily as most dive shops accept a VISA card by the vast majority of my dive buddies.

That is just my two cents.

BTW, it is nice to read something from another Great Lakes diver :birthday: .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users