• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Live-Aboard Packing Advice

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

As most of y'll probably already know, in a few weeks I will be going on my very first live-aboard. While on the July NC trip, I overheard a suggestion of packing a T-shirt in a ziplock to wear on the last day. In another thread someone suggested that Uno would be good to take because I will be by myself. Both sound like a darn fine ideas. Do y'll have any other suggestions for packing for a live-aboard?

Also, this is my packing list so far. I am probably forgetting something important.

Almost all scuba gear
SeaSafe Sunscreen
Mosquito repellent with lots of DEET
All Swimsuits
Camera, Housing, and camera stuff
5 pairs of shorts
5 T-shirts
Walking shoes
Flip-flops
Socks/Underwear
Hygiene Bag - Shampoo, toothbrush, comb etc.
Disposable Books - many
Batteries for everything
Walkman/Headset
Pillow (no comments, must have pillow)
Cash for tips
Woolite
Uno and maybe regular cards. (I love games)

Should I bring a towel?
Will need pants or a jacket?
Any Scuba gear more important on a live-aboard? I plan on taking both my wetsuits, and my repair box. Anything else?

My Scuba Equipment takes 1.5 suitcases, so I am trying to pack lean and mean. On the other hand, if it means I will be more comfortable, I might take 3 checked bags and just pay the airline their blood money.

#2 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:43 AM

Based on your list, I'm guessing you're going for about three weeks?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#3 scubagirl1966

scubagirl1966

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:recreational diver instructor / cave diver.
  • Logged Dives:650

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:45 AM

one week on a liveaboard ?? .. you have too many shorts and t shirts :0)

Seriously - you only need clothing for lunchtime ( maybe ) and a few hours in evening - you`ll be crashed by 9:30 pm ... 10 at the latest. 3 pair of shorts is fine for a week - unless you expect to be off the boat a lot

It depends on the liveaboard but I doubt you`ll need flip flops - most boats you`ll be bare footed all week - if there are no land walks planned you need 1 pair of socks for when you leave and the shoes you travelled in.

I don`t see the need to pack a go home t-shirt in a zip lock back .. but then I don`t see the need to travel home clean either ! - you`re gonna get all sweaty and crumpled on the flight anyway.

May I suggest you invest in rechargeable batteries and a charger - aside from being much more economical - they weigh less and it is MUCH nicer to the environment

Don`t forget sunglasses + seasickness meds
something like pepto bismol is always smart too

Bug spray ??? ... where are you going ??

a sweatshirt and pants are a good idea - sometimes the A/C can get a little over enthusiastic on some boats - and you may get chilled if you are doing 4 / 5 dives per day

4 swim suits is the most you`ll need - 3 is fine - ( am suit / pm suit and a drying / night dive suit ) - if there is no night diving 2 swim suits

check with the boat on the towel - fancy boats provide towels - some liveaboards also provide you soap / shampoo so you may not have to take that

why the woolite ??? .. do your laundry when you get home

don`t over do the books - all liveaboards have a bunch of books guests have left behind and they have a stock of games too

limited repair kit - the boat will have a pretty good tool box

on the gear front - take a spare mask in case yours get broken / lost everything else to me is rentable !

#4 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:40 AM

Sophia,

Thanks for bringing this up as I was wondering what to pack for a live-aboard too.
Definitely pack the swimsuits, t-shirts and short. Benedryl and bottled water.
What about sunblock, would you use bullfrog or other brand???

#5 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:49 AM

Almost all liveaboards supply towels. But not all which one are you going on? As for a jacket where are you going? I wouldn't worry about bug spray either but since it's so small go ahead and bring if you plan on doing anything land based.
I agree you got to much clothes. As they always throw half the clothes away and double your money.

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, you don't need as many shorts, but I do like a clean T-shirt for dinner every night, so I'll wear one and pack eight - including the one I'll wear home. They don't take much room or weight, and help cushion other stuff.

BTW, if you're flying international, you probably allowed 2 - 70# bags, but the airline is only liable for $9.07 a pound, so take everything, but make sure it's insured. I use duffles that will fol down flat after I unpack on the boat.

I will not run barefoot - on a boat or elsewhere. Ahtletes foot, nail ungus, etc., injuries & infections. Flops are safe only on the beach. I use $6 Beach shoes on the boat and spray my feel with athletes foot medicine a couple times a day.

Take a solid fabric cap, in case of wind chill, and a rain jacket, in case of storms.

Have fun... :clapping:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#7 scubagirl1966

scubagirl1966

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 12:28 PM

bottled water - definatly not necessary

The risk of many fungal infections is made greater if you feet are damp - removing your scuba booties and letting those feet dry out is key - sneakers / damp beach shoes etc do not allow your feet to dry esp in humid conditions - and flip flops can be toublesome to walk in esp. on stairs when the boat is moving - men are more prone to athlete foot than women - I have honestly never had a problem - and I run bare foot practically eveywhere !

Edited by scubagirl1966, 12 August 2004 - 12:39 PM.

#8 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:01 PM

On every liveaboard I've been on (~7) I've always run around barefoot and never had a problem. Most of them won't let you wear shoes but I'm sure you could by with sandals or flip flops.

#9 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:13 PM

Y'll are so helpful. The trip is actually 15 days. One day of land based something in Belize. One week on the Belize live-aboard, and one week at the Cancun ClubMed with a group. I am more worried about the Live-aboard since I can't stop off at the nearest store.

But that being the case, 3 shorts do sound like a better idea.

Sweats sound like a great idea. They are my favorite comfort clothing, so I will add them.

I have trip insurance from that place WW recommends, so I'm not worried about luggage.

I walk bare foot at home, but I don't know about on a boat. Mostly worried about small cuts, etc. I can see how flip-flops would be a bad idea. I LOVE dive booties. Maybe I'll buy another pair for boat use only.

Batteries. I never throw batteries. I have an Alkaline recharger, and once a year I take my dead batteries to a special place.

Sunglasses and seasickness med. - good catch. Maybe 2 pair.

Sunscreen. The SeaSafe stuff is sunscreen, and it's also supposed to stop jellyfish bumps. Hate jellyfish!

The bug spray was for the land-based stuff. I hadn't specified that.

I will ask the Peter Hughes about how many books they have on board. I get insomnia if I can't read before going to bed. But then, I'm not very picky either.

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 12 August 2004 - 01:49 PM

Don't go bare foot on any boat, you don't want a toe stubbed on a hatch to ruin your diving!
3 bathing suits should work, 2 won't, mine never seemed to dry between dives and I ended up buying one from the ships store. They probably have tee's available if you run short.
If you are recharging batteries bring a power strip, there never seem to be enough outlets or its over the sink in your cabin.
Enjoy your trip! :P
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 scubagirl1966

scubagirl1966

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:03 PM

liveaboard cabins are NOT the place to recharge batteries - they will have a charging station with plenty of outlet usually near the camera tables

they will ask you not to charge batteries in you room in case of fire

Don`t use booties at boat shoes - you feet will sweat too much - if you have to have boat shoes get a pair of tevas or similar that will stay on your feet but allow your feet to dry properly.

Most liveabords take your shoes off you when you get on - the public areas are designed for walking about bare footed

#12 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:22 PM

No, what I do is take planty of batteries, then recharge them at home. I just carry the used battieries back home. I usually carry a power strip, because I am an electrics junkie, but I won't have my phone, PDA, or laptop. I do need to buy a giant card for my camera. Since I will be taking my first underwater photos with my new Oly5060.

What will I do without my laptop? Maybe it will be good for me.

#13 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

No, dive booties will not let your feet dry between dives. On a 5-6 dive a day schedule, I'll leave them on, but for changing after a dive - I use the beach shoes that allow for quick drying, while keeping my feet off of the deck, and maybe cushioning a bit when I stub my toe. {Yes, I'm a clutz! } :P Some sandals have good support, but flip-flops don't.

I've never packed for a 2 week trip, though. Afraid I'd have to do laundry half way thru. Oh, I could wear the same T-shirt for days without bothering me, but I like to be nice to the others. Really, I have so many from so many places, it's like: Day-1 - Don't Mess With Texas T, D-2 - Catalina, D-3 - U-352; D-4 - Roatan; and so forth. "Have you been there?!" "Well, yes - you haven't" Snob.

For Amergris Caye, I wore "Log Bottom Time" on Day-2, then "Noplace Butt Key Largo" on Day-2, and my 19 year old Dive Buddy/Instructor commented that all my Ts seemed to have women's butts. Day-3, wore a busy Catalina T and told her she could find a girl's butt if she looked hard enough, and as she'd been diving in her 2-piece swim suit: "And I've ordered one over the internet with your butt on it." :wakawaka:

Club Med? I guess you could just forgo the Ts. :wakawaka:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#14 wannadive420

wannadive420

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:11 PM

Sophia ... I hope you have a wonderful time. You have received good information that will assist you with your trip.

I would like to add a note more on the side of 'caution'.

I just finished reading an article in DAN's Alert Diver magazine about a diver on a liveaboard who gets an infection called Necrotizing Fasciitis also known as "flesh-eating disease". He got the infection when he bumped his ankle and caused a minor laceration over the bone.

The diver received treatments at a hyperbaric facility, aggressive antibiotic treatment and then required surgery.

I don't want to alarm you .... just inform you so that you can have a wondeful time on the liveaboard.

Everyone should read this article. Very informative.

#15 Sylvia

Sylvia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:2

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:25 PM

Ok, Sophia,

A toothbrush, a bikini and a credit card that's all I think we need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users