• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Live-Aboard Packing Advice

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:44 PM

Now that's packing light!! More room for dive gear!!

Kim

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:06 PM

I just finished reading an article in DAN's Alert Diver magazine about a diver on a liveaboard who gets an infection called Necrotizing Fasciitis also known as "flesh-eating disease".  He got the infection when he bumped his ankle and caused a minor laceration over the bone.

I'll read the article, to be sure, but I think this is similar to what I was talking about in my thread: "Vibrio much more dangerous than Sharks"

http://www.singlediv...?showtopic=1593

The reason I won't wear a Shorty suit, and one of the reasons I won't go barefoot on a boat, even though Windjammer and many other liveaboard suggest it.

They don't want you wearing shoes, as some will scratch their deck and/or make you fall on wet floors, but various types of deck shoes are safe.

Edited by DandyDon, 12 August 2004 - 06:07 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:55 AM

Ok, I'm confused on the shoe issue.

Barefeet=Bad. Might get scratched/infected or fungus
Flipflops=Bad. Might slip off foot and cause tripping.
DiveBooties=Bad. Feet stay wet=Bad
Shoes=Bad. Crew won't allow

I can understand all this.

Can't ask the boat company, because they will say what is good for the boat, i.e. barefeet.

So, the option is .... Socks? No, that won't work, no traction.

OK maybe, I'll dry my feet after diving, put thick socks on, then new, dry dive booties.

That does remind me that all that saltwater will mean several showers a day. Must pack extra soap/shampoo/conditioner.

On the flesh-eating issue - just don't tell my mother. My parents are convinced I will die every time I leave the country. Just another thing to worry about.

#19 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:51 AM

I've seen a lot of people lately wearing Crocs--ugly as sin but they seem to be popular. Check 'em out.
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#20 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:15 AM

They seem cool, but I won't buy them without trying them on first.

#21 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:29 AM

As for shoes, I still like Dock-Siders. I have an old pair of the canvas ones that I use on my boat. They're great...dry relatively quickly (overnight or a couple hours in the sun) and are safe on the boat deck (no skid marks) and are an easy slip on/off.

Edited by RichardB, 13 August 2004 - 09:30 AM.

#22 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

This is only one answer, and maybe not the best answer, but -for $6 I use the "beach shoes" from Walmart. Instant drying, non-slip, protection. They're not quality, but they're okay-good. My grandson wore his on the plane tirp home last month. {On the beach, I use flip-flops.}

Now, some of them have different insoles, that fold up and come out too easily. For those, I used "Shoe Goo," in the same Walmart dept, for $4, to glue the insoles down on some I bought for my family. Also handy for some wetsuit repairs, flip flop repair, gluing 2 CDs togehter to make a mirror signaling device, etc.

Hope that's some help...? don :hiya:

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#23 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

No, what I do is take planty of batteries, then recharge them at home. I just carry the used battieries back home. I usually carry a power strip, because I am an electrics junkie, but I won't have my phone, PDA, or laptop. I do need to buy a giant card for my camera. Since I will be taking my first underwater photos with my new Oly5060.

What will I do without my laptop? Maybe it will be good for me.

A piece of unsolicited and likely uneeded advice: Put your 5060 in its housing and practice pushing the sequence of buttons that set the white balance till you can do it with two hands, then practice doing it one handedly. Based on my recent experience, I truly believe that is a worthwhile skill.

Specifically, why take Woolite? is there something special about that cleanser?

Michael
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#24 mvillanueva

mvillanueva

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI. Varied diving to date: Freshwater wells, Catalina, Oahu, and Kona. And one night dive
  • Logged Dives:32!

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

They seem cool, but I won't buy them without trying them on first.

I tried on Crocs while on Kona -- and only on the insistence of my kid. They are the most amazing shoes I have ever tried. Period. For what we do, they are as close to slice bread and indoor plumbing as can be.
Cap'n Lobo Stripper the Peglegless

#25 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

I tried on Crocs while on Kona...

That's where I saw them, too. Must be a Big Island fashion statement.
–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#26 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:25 PM

Woolite. I frequently carry it because it is easy to wash stuff in the sink. Lots of times, I don't have access to a washer. Plus, I always seem to get stuff on the front of my shirts. There's nothing particularly special about it, it's just better than Cheer.

Shoes. Y'll have me really interested in those Croc shoes. I have a high instep, and those shoes look like they could really hurt if they pinched. For this trip, I think I will go with the Walmart shoes, but I will really keep my eyes out for those crocs.

Camera. I will do that as soon as the underwater housing comes. It was back-ordered and shipped yesterday. I can't wait.

#27 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:30 AM

I'll vote for Crocs also. I've got a pair and wear them to work everyday. Very comfortable, lightweight and originally made for boats.CROCS

#28 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

Great info on this thread. Food for thought since I hope to do a liveaboard some time in the near future. ANd those crocs do look cool. Thanks guys.

DG

#29 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

I've sailed on some of the bigger sailing vessels in the caribbean and flip flops are a big NO-NO. They are too easy to slip out of and fall on a rolling or pitching deck. Sandles, or better yet, Teva's work great. They let your feet dry, give you some toe protection and secure in the heel. just make sure you put suntan lotion on the top of your feet tho.

Have a great trip! :welcome:
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#30 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

A third item to suggest from Walmart: A cheap 3-pack of nylon socks. Like Diveskins for feet. I started using them with my full-foot/slip-on fins, but leave them on in my booties, then my beach shoes. Dry quicly enough in the air flow shoes, and protect the ankels from sun and some abrasions - from the boat ladder or the boat itself.

Scubagirl1966 probably lost interest in this thread long ago, but I do want to say that she can go barefoot more safely than I can 'cause she has lots more experience on boats than I do. Her advise is not wrong; it's just different than my practices.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users