• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

3mm vs. 5mm Wetsuit

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 damselfish

damselfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hi I have a Henderson 3mm full wet suit that stretches but doesn't keep me as warm as my regular 3mm. I get choked and claustrophobic easy so I like the Henderson. I will be going to Hawaii in 2 weeks and the water temps will be around 70 - 74 ish they said. I want to dive and snorkle a lot. I get cold very easy even though I do the usual warm up between dives thing.
SO... My question is... Should I buy a 5mm wetsuit? Will it make THAT big of a difference?? What about a 3mm jacket over my 3mm full wetsuit. That might be cheaper.
I'd rather spend my money and get an underwater camera to take but can't do both the camera and a new 5mm. But I'd rather have a lot of great dives and be comfortable enough to stay down longer and have great memories than a lot of quick pictures so I can get back up.
Thanks, B
Ain't love a BEACH?

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hi I have a Henderson 3mm full wet suit that stretches but doesn't keep me as warm as my regular 3mm. I get choked and claustrophobic easy so I like the Henderson. I will be going to Hawaii in 2 weeks and the water temps will be around 70 - 74 ish they said. I want to dive and snorkle a lot. I get cold very easy even though I do the usual warm up between dives thing.
SO... My question is... Should I buy a 5mm wetsuit? Will it make THAT big of a difference?? What about a 3mm jacket over my 3mm full wetsuit. That might be cheaper.
I'd rather spend my money and get an underwater camera to take but can't do both the camera and a new 5mm. But I'd rather have a lot of great dives and be comfortable enough to stay down longer and have great memories than a lot of quick pictures so I can get back up.
Thanks, B

A hood is cheap - and will help a LOT - but you'll probably be happier with a core warmer that includes a hood for Hawaiian waters.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks, B

It makes a HUGE difference, actually. Getting cold is not only not fun, but can also be dangerous.

But I hear you about the cost. What I would suggest instead of buying a 5mm full suit would be to rent a shorty to layer over your 3mm, or alternatively to buy a core warmer to layer under. That would give you the protection you need for the "core" of your body where your major organs are. (What happens when you get cold is that the brain sends the blood to the core and leaves the extremities blood poor, so you feel even colder.)

In addition, get a beanie or a hood for your head. You'll be amazed how much warmer you feel when you are not losing body heat through the scalp.

Finally, whenever possible, get out of your wetsuit during the surface intervals. The wet fabric of your suit continues to draw heat from your body if you leave it on, so that by the next dive you're already partway to being chilled, even before you hit the water.
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#4 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

A hood helps a lot, and probably more than going to a thicker wetsuit!

I have a Henderson hyper strech 5mm hood/ 3mm vest combo. I hate hoods, but this is not confining like most are. It stretches plus you get the double layer over the torso. Also with the hood atatched to the vest you will not get water leakage at the back of the neck.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#5 divzac

divzac

Diving Guru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor / Captain. I either dive or drive often in the Palm Beaches
  • Logged Dives:I kinda got lazy after a couple hundred

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

I agree with eveyone regarding the hooded vest. If the hood freaks you out try a vest and "beanie" style hood thingy.
I wanna be the person that my dog thinks I am

Check out the SPREE...come dive with us!

charlies@singledivers.com

#6 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Great I'll look for a core warmer. I'll go see what my LDS has. Thanks. B
Ain't love a BEACH?

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:06 PM

Here are a few options for you kiddo...

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

There is only one other option to warm you up after a cold dive. I will PM you with the details. :wakawaka: :birthday: :)
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

D
I agree with all of the above. Henderson Hyperstretch is convenient and comfortable but there is substantial reduction in body heat retention in this suit. My recommendation would be a core warmer with a hood. Keep in mind that 70% of your heat loss is through your head.

#9 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I'd probably go for a hooded vest. The last time I went to Hawaii, the temps were in the low 70's. I borrowed a hood but still had the cold water on my neck. I've dove in the Flower Gardens with a hooded vest and it was perfect! Kept me warmer than just the hood

#10 bowjunkie

bowjunkie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

D
I agree with all of the above. Henderson Hyperstretch is convenient and comfortable but there is substantial reduction in body heat retention in this suit. My recommendation would be a core warmer with a hood. Keep in mind that 70% of your heat loss is through your head.

ditto!!!!!! :cool2:

hope you have a blast..... I so wanna go there :)
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

- John Adams, 2nd President of the United States

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under..'- Ronald Reagan

#11 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

A hood helps a lot, and probably more than going to a thicker wetsuit!

I have a Henderson hyper strech 5mm hood/ 3mm vest combo. I hate hoods, but this is not confining like most are. It stretches plus you get the double layer over the torso. Also with the hood atatched to the vest you will not get water leakage at the back of the neck.

B -
I agree with Joe about the hooded vest, but keep in mind that these sizes run small for the Henderson hyperstretch, so think big! You might be able to rent a 5 mm instead of laying out the coin for one.

Have fun - B
It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#12 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Well I bought a 5/4 mm. (will be diving/snorkling for 11 days so would be half paid for anyway) Going down on a wreck and hopefully night diving so will be colder. I tried on the hooded vest but freaked out lol. Claustrophobic and hate getting choked (the neck was tight). Got a cute red flowered neoprene cap. The beanie choked me. Thanks and hopefully we will dive together soon everyone! ~D :cool1:
Ain't love a BEACH?

#13 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:00 AM

Another thing to try might be a wool hat between dives. You might look silly being in Hawaii and wearing a stocking hat, but people do wear them in colder regions of the world.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

Alot of the boat crew in Hawaii do wear wool hats and boat coats during the surface intervals :taz:

#15 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

I vote for the hooded vest. Another thing that I have seen ladies do is bring a couple of dive skins. They wear the dive skin under the 3mm full suit and change dive skins between dives in the head. It helps the 3mm suit go on easier and it keeps the wet neoprene off of the skin.

Personally, I dive dry in everything anymore, but when I had a 3mm wetsuit, I used the hooded vest.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users