• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Audrey Mestre's Fatal Freedive in Video

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:53 PM

A video showing the the fatal freedive of Audrey Mestre is at the following site:

Audrey Mestre, wife of freediver Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras, died on October 2002 while attempting to break the depth record set by her husband.

For complete information on the death of Mestre, go to:

http://www.sanluisob...rts/5117370.htm

#2 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 16 August 2004 - 07:06 PM

pretty terrible incident. i feel for pippin....imagine bringing the lifeless body of your wife outta the water....

#3 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Julio you running out of new material this is almost two years old! :cool2:

#4 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

was it THAT long ago?????

#5 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

The incident is almost two years old but the video was released recently. :cool2:

#6 chepar

chepar

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:13 AM

I had read about the incident back when it happened, and even read pippin's account of it.

It was however, very sad to actually see the video.

Obviously I know diddly-squat about freediving, because I always thought that the divers kicked down to depth - not riding the sled all the way down. Although I suppose that given how deep they were going, it makes sense.

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

I always thought that the divers kicked down to depth - not riding the sled all the way down.

There are different categories with different records. For constant weight, they do kick down and kick back up. The sled is for the unlimited competition.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:17 PM

About a year ago my sister was on the boat with Pipin, james Cameron and an actress, whose name eludes me for the moment, doing research on what happen during this incident. The actress was up for the role of Audrey. Also, if im not mistaken Pipin broke the record on the anniversary of his wifes passing.

I have not heard my sister mention anything in the last 6 months about this film or Documentary. From her last tid bits of info about the project was that it is on hold due to litigation about Audreys death.

I knew about the incident but the vid sure puts it in perspective. What a shame, heartbreaking to say the least.

Andy
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#9 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

Was the actress on the boat Salma Hayek? I saw on the web that the movie (officially untitled, but tentatively called The Dive) has probably been scrapped.
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#10 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

yeah it was Selma. i hear all the divers on the boat were all googly eyes for her, can say i blame them :2cool:

Andy
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#11 FreeFloat

FreeFloat

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / DIR-F in training
  • Logged Dives:165+

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:04 AM

I freedive. I'm mostly a self-termed "underwater tourist" as I prefer to dive, look around at whatever there is to see (wreck, scuba divers, rocks, fish, etc) then come back up when it feels right to do so. Depth and time are not that important to me.

That said, I participated in the Eastern Region Championships in May here in Canada. I competed in Static (for time), Dynamic (for horizontal distance) and Constant Ballast (for depth) categories.

That said, I don't think I'd have the guts to try No Limits (the category where Audrey died; freediver is brought to depth by a weighted sled, and back to the surface by a lift bag)

For me, freediving is all about one's body in harmony with the water, and in accordance with one's personal limitations; in No Limits, I think I'd feel more like someone just along for the ride, dependent on machines to do my dive for me while I tagged along. No thanks..........

And yes, some freedivers are really competitive, you wouldn't believe the extremes to which they'll go to set that record or beat someone else's. I'm not saying that I don't get a real rush when I discover I've just beaten another of my Personal Bests, but I don't compare my PBs to other divers'.....
FreeFloat
Toronto (North York), Ontario

Another day Wet is another day Happy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users