• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Knives

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

How many dive knives / shears / cutters do you carry and where are they located. Why there?
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have a dive knife, but I typically don't carry it.

#3 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Shears in my right pocket - seemed like a good place
knife on inside of left calf - way I was originally trained the rationale being in a relatively less-snaggable location and could be reached with either hand, unlike one on your waist
J-knife on my right shoulder harness - very handy tool for lines - again accessible by either hand.

Edited by Capn Jack, 23 May 2009 - 06:39 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#4 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

knife on inside of left calf - way I was originally trained the rationale being in a relatively less-snaggable location and could be reached with either hand, unlike one on your waist

No offense, but I'm going to disagree with the inside calf being a location that can be reached with either hand. I personally can't reach that location with either hand, unless I scrunch myself up in a ball. Center front on the waist strap (which is how I wear mine) is actually a much more "reachable" location, IMO.

Calf-mounted knives also tend to be larger, which actually increases the chances of entanglement. The waist-mount puts the knife in a position where you can actually look down (or back) and see it, which means if it does become entangled, then you stand a much better chance of being able to deal with it yourself. I would expect an entanglement on the calf to require assistance from a buddy.

That's my opinion, anyway.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

No offense, but I'm going to disagree with the inside calf being a location that can be reached with either hand.

None taken.

Calf-mounted knives also tend to be larger

And your point is? :wakawaka: - hey, if I didn't have a big knife, how else could I compensate for my other equipment shortcomings?

Thank god there are no SCUBA police.

Edited by Capn Jack, 23 May 2009 - 09:43 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Shears in my right pocket - seemed like a good place

Ahoy, Cap'n. Been a while, hope the world is spinnin' your way.

I am in your camp re: the calf carry. From my cert days in the 80's I still schlepp around a big (hopefully not compensatory :wakawaka: ) Blackie Collins 5" with rigid scabbard, and when I bother to include it down below I find it easy an reach from inside my right calf (cuz I'm a Southern southpaw). However, until I upgrade to Velcro the old style rubber belts make it troublesome to strap on while aboard a dive boat simulating a mechanical bull.

J-knife on my right shoulder harness - very handy tool for lines - again accessible by either hand.

Really like this arrangement, a couple of guys I dive with locally have this. It's on Santa's list, assuming he stays sober long enough to reach my house this year, the sorry sot.
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

Really like this arrangement, a couple of guys I dive with locally have this. It's on Santa's list, assuming he stays sober long enough to reach my house this year, the sorry sot.

Mine is the OMS Titanium Line cutter (A-TICUT) - here is a link to a description - check with OTWDiver my bet is he's got them in stock.

http://www.omsdive.com/cuttool.html
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 UP Diver

UP Diver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Board Status:Occasionally lurking on and off the board...
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>150

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Mine is the OMS Titanium Line cutter (A-TICUT) - here is a link to a description - check with OTWDiver my bet is he's got them in stock.

http://www.omsdive.com/cuttool.html

Mark -

I too used to carry on left calf, but the hassle of strapping on an off started to bother me two years ago. I carry a little Silverjack, a little 4" with a serrated edge that in trials seems to work. I simply put a U shackle in the point end of the case and added a snap. The case holds the knife securely tight yet accessible. I mount it on one of the D rings on a shoulder strap of my BC. Along this same line, since I started diving in Junior High in 1964, I have never had to use my knife. I guess I have been very lucky!

My SO has hers mounted on the back side of her console - another pretty good place that is secure and not easily forgotten.

I do like that OMS line cutter though! My have to put on my Christmas list as soon as I am cleared to dive again.

Simon - in response to your original question in this thread, if I had the potential to dive in an area with lines, nets, hanging crap, etc. I would likely carry a second implement of destruction for redundancy like a second night light for night diving.

UP Diver
"Well, my name is Jim...
but most people just call me - Jim."

Gene Wilder, Blazing Saddles

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

Another area of "Do What Works" - I would urge folks to carry two - at least one of them EMT Shears, and at least one accesible with either hand. The other thing I'd recommend is a lanyard on at least one - I have both the J-knife and the sheers secured. The J-knife allows a good length of line whipped around the neck. For the shears I just whip it around the blades. I whip as I put them back in their pouch/pocket so extracting them starts the un-whipping process without too much fuss.

My BIG knife has seen a lot of use - albeit mostly out of the water. Another reason it is big, with a point, and has a straight blade rather than folding - nothing else in my dive bag can open a can. :wakawaka: or work so effectively as a buddy alignment tool. Seriously - I did have occasion to cut sheet metal twice underwater, and again, however remote the chance may be, it was the only thing that would have worked.

There are extremes I suppose, and maybe I'm compensating, but that's my dos psi.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

The original knife I bought when I first was certified is an XS Scuba Titanium blunt tip. I quickly became dissatisfied with carrying it on my calf, and found a much simpler solution. I strap it to my upper left arm, point up; easy to reach with my right hand and always in sight. I do need to replace those danged rubber straps with velcro, though... At some point I may add a set of shears in the left pocket on my BC, as a backup. So far I have not ever been entangled but, as the majority of my diving has been in fresh water where fishing line snarls are a likely hazard, I expect that at some point the numbers will catch up with me. Therefore, I don't get wet without the knife.
Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:39 PM

I wrote a reply to this but it vanished as soon as I hit [Enter]. The joys of MS Vista!

I only carry a knife when I have any reason to believe I might need one, which is not on recreational dives here in Belize, though sometimes I carry a knife in my BC pocket mainly because I've forgotten to take it out. On tech dives anywhere I carry two small folding knives, one high, one low, one left, one right, all in my chest area. The ones are use are super cheap but exceptionally well designed from Trident, having razor sharp concave serrated blades that will cut anything. I don't carry sea snips any more, not since I realised that they don't grip to cut under water.

I've been tangled twice in my diving career. One was on a trimix dive off Miami when I got monofilament fishing line hooked round a fin buckle. The easiest way to deal with that was to take the fin off and untangle the line - I didn't use a knife.

The other time was early on when my calf-mounted big knife caught up with a line. I found it very difficult once entangled to reach to the knife and get it clear, and that was the last time I ever carried a knife in that way. The last time I ever carried a big knife, in fact.

So in n,000 dives I have never used a knife in anger.

#12 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

I carry a z-knife on my waist band and cutters in my thigh pocket. I do still strap a big knife to my leg on occasion - but only when I think I might see a flounder I want to stick. :cool2: That's why it's big - cause that's how I like my flounder. :thankyou:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#13 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:28 PM

I carry a z-knife on my waist band and cutters in my thigh pocket. I do still strap a big knife to my leg on occasion - but only when I think I might see a flounder I want to stick. :cool2: That's why it's big - cause that's how I like my flounder. :thankyou:

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, like clockwork from the cheap seats comes the Zing of the Day. :P
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#14 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

I carry a z-knife on my waist band and cutters in my thigh pocket. I do still strap a big knife to my leg on occasion - but only when I think I might see a flounder I want to stick. :birthday: That's why it's big - cause that's how I like my flounder. :thankyou:

Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, like clockwork from the cheap seats comes the Zing of the Day. :birthday:

Cheap seats????!!!!! :P Oh no he did not. I can promise you, I am not "the cheap seats." :cool2: But I am proud to have the Zing of the Day. It just came from the front row.
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#15 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,195 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

Cheap seats????!!!!! :P Oh no he did not. I can promise you, I am not "the cheap seats." :thankyou: But I am proud to have the Zing of the Day. It just came from the front row.

Uh-oh. Think fast! :birthday:

Now Deb, let's not stray from the original topic here. Remember, whatever happens, be professional!

waitaminnit... Original topic was knives, wasn't it? Doh! :cool2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users