• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving, Tubing & Hangin' Out On The Comal River!

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

Just curious.... if I can swing joining you guys... would I fly into San Antonio???

I wouldn't bring dive gear, so I'd just be coming in to play on the water and hang out with friends.

:cool1: dear Barb is thinking of coming!

pick Austin, pick Austin :D

I drive right by it on the way and I'll be there with my bells on! :wakawaka:

Actually if you can get in Friday afternoon and want to leave Sunday evening or Monday early early, AUS works great. If you fly in Saturday, SAT will be a quick drive and I'll be happy to pick you up there. You can even switch airports if it works better...

Now what was it that Victoria said... oh yeah, epic!!!

Got your PM Mike... thanks!!

You guys all Rock!

I'm going to do my best to make it, but I won't know for a few weeks.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#32 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

You guys all Rock!

does Dr. Victoria need to write you a note also,, :lmao:

:cool2:

#33 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Just curious.... if I can swing joining you guys... would I fly into San Antonio???

I wouldn't bring dive gear, so I'd just be coming in to play on the water and hang out with friends.

:wow: dear Barb is thinking of coming!

pick Austin, pick Austin :twist:

I drive right by it on the way and I'll be there with my bells on! :cool2:

Actually if you can get in Friday afternoon and want to leave Sunday evening or Monday early early, AUS works great. If you fly in Saturday, SAT will be a quick drive and I'll be happy to pick you up there. You can even switch airports if it works better...

You guys all Rock!

Barb,

Bring your mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit and booties; we can supply everything else!

I really hope you can make this fun in the sun Texas outing :lmao:

#34 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

You guys all Rock!

does Dr. Victoria need to write you a note also,, :lmao:

Hmmmm... I do sort of feel the "September Flu" coming on..... :twist:

The pics from last time are great! I really hope I can make it.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#35 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

You guys all Rock!

Barb,

Bring your mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit and booties; we can supply everything else!

I'm work'in on it!

Are you guys going to dive or just play on the water? I could bring it all without much trouble. Just didn't know if I would dive or not. Geeze...come to think of it... I've never dove fresh water. Remind me to adjust my weights!! LOL

#36 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:03 PM

You guys all Rock!

Barb,

I'm work'in on it!

Are you guys going to dive or just play on the water? I could bring it all without much trouble. Just didn't know if I would dive or not. Geeze...come to think of it... I've never dove fresh water. Remind me to adjust my weights!! LOL

We did 1 hour long dive last weekend from the condo we had

I'm thinking more diving this time since we have a better understanding of points to get in and get out at

but then tubing is so much fun too!!

I think we could dive Saturday AM, tube Saturday PM, dive Sunday AM and then travel back wherever Sunday PM

#37 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

What do you see diving there (besides rear ends sticking through innertubes!?! :cool2:

Seriously... I've never dove fresh water so I don't have a clue.

#38 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

What do you see diving there (besides rear ends sticking through innertubes!?! :lmao:

Seriously... I've never dove fresh water so I don't have a clue.

ahhh, not much to see while diving; most parts of the river is only 5 feet deep

though I did almost get killed by a crawdad! and socks! we did a clean up dive and all I found was socks! and a 1 dollar bill :cool2:

#39 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

September is a busy month for me. I have to stay here and do the Friday night lights cheerleader mom thing with my 11th grader who just got voted flyer and captain of her 5A school team. I will be back in Texas when it cools off in Oct or Nov to see the AGGIE band.
Hope you all have fun. I will see some of you in Cozy! ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#40 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:56 AM

We will miss ya Damselfish, it won't be the same... Have fun with the cheerleader mom thing and maybe we can figure out something around an Aggie weekend early enough before Coz--- and don't forget I still need to get fired before the end of that month :cool2: Huh, maybe it will rain in central TX by then. Prolly not though.

Barb, et all -- Much of Texas has been very dry and the lakes/rivers are low/emptying. The Comal is spring fed so we can still jump in it, errr.. walk into it, but even that is down right now. The river dive needs minimal equipment, since basically you can just stand up in most spots. I left my air integrated computer in the room and decided for me it was silly to run back to get it for a 2-4 ft avg dive. Think what you would need to do a scavenger hunt dive in a shallow swimming pool with a mild current- no SMB, SS, Lift bags, reels, mirrors, lights/torches/strobes, spare air, spare anything. You need fins, booties, lead, a mesh goodie bag, regs, mask, a small cutting tool, a tank and some way to carry it-- BCDs become safety equipment. On Aug 2nd, the water temp was about 73, but the sun was beating down and surface air temp was high 90s to 101. So you may want to have a wetsuit and gloves (and the bottom is mostly smooth rock). A dive skin or a wet suit with kneepads is helpful. And with a gator spotting, night dives become, unlikely...
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#41 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Don't worry, we never confirmed a gator. In fact it swam so fast it had to be a large river rat kind of thing. It swam very far and fast away from us. There were tons of night tubers and always have been and I've never heard a report of a sighting or biting. I did see lots of "mini lobsters" moving around the bottom that night. Tubing with the glow necklaces would have been fun.

Have fun! Catch ya next time for sure! It will be an annual event I will try to make! Maybe earlier in the summer before the river dries up?? End of May or something?

ttyl, B
Ain't love a BEACH?

#42 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

Heeyy I had an idea! Speaking of mini lobsters we can have a crawfish boil next year! Don't worry Sissy and Victoria they taste like chicken! Much better than shrimp! :) ~ D
Ain't love a BEACH?

#43 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

B~ You ain't kiddin' when you called 'em mini-lobsters. The crawdads I saw were 6-7" long! I tried to catch one but, not knowing what 'the technique' is, I gave up cuz I really didn't wanna lose a finger.

I haven't seen the pictures yet, so while I'm sitting on my butt in the Miami airport I'll take a look at 'em! :respect: Thanks for uploading them, Sonny!! :)

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#44 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Fun pics, B~!

I had SUCH a good time. I'm really lookin' forward to the next installment of SingleDivers Do The Comal River!

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#45 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Don't worry, we never confirmed a gator. In fact it swam so fast it had to be a large river rat kind of thing. It swam very far and fast away from us...

Well, Caplin Rous lives nearby in Buda. Maybe he came down for an evening swim in the Comal?

http://www.myspace.com/caplinrous
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users