• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Computers VRx

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:52 AM

Now that my Vytec is no longer being manufactured and will no doubt fail, I am looking for a new computer. I have reservations about the Helio and I need more than 2 mixes like the Vyper offers. Since I am considering the Prism rebreather I want a computer that does constant PO2...... So far It looks like the VRx. Anyone have input about the VRx?

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Since I only dive open circuit - I have no experience with the constant PO2 mode of the cochran - but I like the machine.... and we have some insiders on the board with ties to the company.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

Thanks, I looked at the Cochran a few times in the past and cant say if it has constant po2 capabilities. I liked the Vytec as its conservative nature was not a detractant when doing signifigant deco. The VRx, Liquidvision and pursuit are some that I have looked over. I loved my Vytec, despite the catastophic failure issues, but the replacement is either too much or just not enough on the capabilities for me to own. I understand the VRx gives a host of user programmable variables which I hope to compare against my Vytec before it fails....again.

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

Since you mention your desire to move to CCR, if you buy a Dive Rite Optima CCR (instead of the Prism), you get not one but two fully integrated computers that can do 10 gas mixes, and open or closed circuit, and that monitor all three oxygen sensors in the unit. (The open circuit is only for bailout. The computers are hard wired into the unit. So, you can't just get the Optima's computers now, and then add the rebreather later.)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:09 AM

Now that my Vytec is no longer being manufactured and will no doubt fail, I am looking for a new computer. I have reservations about the Helio and I need more than 2 mixes like the Vyper offers. Since I am considering the Prism rebreather I want a computer that does constant PO2...... So far It looks like the VRx. Anyone have input about the VRx?

There are a number of choices out there. The VR3 is one. Shearwater is another. Liquivision is one that should get serious consideration as well. The VR3 is very powerful and robust, but I'm not so sure it would be my top choice.

Edited by PerroneFord, 08 September 2009 - 07:10 AM.

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

Also, it's none of my business, but I'd do some SERIOUS looking around before jumping on the Prism.

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

Since you mention your desire to move to CCR, if you buy a Dive Rite Optima CCR (instead of the Prism), you get not one but two fully integrated computers that can do 10 gas mixes, and open or closed circuit, and that monitor all three oxygen sensors in the unit. (The open circuit is only for bailout. The computers are hard wired into the unit. So, you can't just get the Optima's computers now, and then add the rebreather later.)

SDM - Quick Q. What is the retail on this at the moment? Have not checked in a year or so.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

SDM - Quick Q. What is the retail on this at the moment? Have not checked in a year or so.

http://www.divegeare...s/o2ptima.shtml

#9 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:55 PM

I have a Shearwater and a Cochran. I only do open circuit for the forseable future. With a bit of tweeking the conservatism numbers on them I now have them playing well with each other. In June I did 18 dives on air for the extended range class in a week in Bonaire and I had no issues with either computer that I didn't cause. :wakawaka: At the time the shearwater would go into deco first by a few minutes but both would clear deco within a few minutes of each other the entire week. 9 dives deeper then 100 and 6 or 7 deeper then 130.

The Shearwater is a big unit but I like the large blue back lit display that it has. It has 5 gas capability OC and 5 CC at the same time. plus you can change any of them at any time. The cochran is a plan your dive dive your plan computer period. I have liked the cochran since i rented one almost 10 years ago when my old hockey puck died 3 days before I was deploying to Puerto Rico for two weeks :respect:. I finally got one two or three years ago. My Cochran is a two gas EMC-20H and I needed/wanted a 3 gas computer to do the extended range course. Cochran wanted almost $600 to upgrade mine to 3 gas and I got the whole Shearwater package for about a 1K. so for the extra $$ I have two very nice multi gas computers. I am a Techno geek at work so learning two computers was not a problem (it's what I do for fun) I know...don't get out much. The other big thing is when i'm done programming them as I said they play well together so If one of them tells me something that is way out to lunch I have a sanity check (as well as a pre cut run tables) to fall back on. Hope this helps some.

Jerry :D :wakawaka:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#10 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

I loved my Vytec, despite the catastophic failure issues, but the replacement is either too much or just not enough on the capabilities for me to own. I

Whatever happened to your Vytec?

I have one (for over 6 years now), and it is great. I use the hoseless transmitter, very good for photographers.

Very conservative .... my dive guide calls it my "never get bent" computer, as it is always making us wait a longer surface interval than his Aladdin.

So what happened to your Vytec?

#11 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:40 PM

I didn't know the Vytec had been discontinued... But if it's working properly now don't rush to replace it. I have friends who have been using the same computer for almost a decade.

I used to use (and rent) VR3s and like the logic, but I wasn't quite as happy with the display and was distinctly unhappy with the way corrosion began to take over, on all of them. I don't have a constant PO2 computer at present and I don't think I'd buy another VR3, but I have no idea what I would actually get.

And I'm with Perrone re his reservations on the Prism. Why is this machine your hot favourite?

Edited by peterbj7, 10 September 2009 - 01:41 PM.

#12 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I didn't know the Vytec had been discontinued... But if it's working properly now don't rush to replace it. I have friends who have been using the same computer for almost a decade.

The Vytec has been replaced with the Vytec DS.

I think the DS refers to the Deep Stops that Suunto has programed into this computer. I believe the original Vytec actually has the Deep Stops within the program, but did not tell anyone about them, nor had the computer indicate the depth/time of the deep stop. Since I have started to do deep stops, I get better bottom time and my deco gets smaller much faster than when I didn't know about the deep stop and went directly to my deco stop. Go figure.....

#13 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:51 PM

I think the DS refers to the Deep Stops that Suunto has programed into this computer. I believe the original Vytec actually has the Deep Stops within the program, but did not tell anyone about them, nor had the computer indicate the depth/time of the deep stop. Since I have started to do deep stops, I get better bottom time and my deco gets smaller much faster than when I didn't know about the deep stop and went directly to my deco stop. Go figure.....

The Vytec ds is discontinued. My first one went after only 20 dives showing no depth. My second one has been "eating" batteries after 2.5yrs and about 700-800 dives. We have had 3 fail in the last 2 weeks and my lds sent back probably 30 or more over the last few years which was fine as long as you got another one. Other than that, it is a great computer.
Perrone. I do not like the optimas scrubber. The prism is a great unit other than the inconsistancy in manufacturing which hopefully Hollis will take care of since they brought Prism from Steam Machines. I also dont like Integrated electronics. That may be another whole conversation debating electronics and scrubbers, but I have done quite a bit of research and obsevation.

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

The Vytec ds is discontinued. My first one went after only 20 dives showing no depth. My second one has been "eating" batteries after 2.5yrs and about 700-800 dives. We have had 3 fail in the last 2 weeks and my lds sent back probably 30 or more over the last few years which was fine as long as you got another one. Other than that, it is a great computer.
Perrone. I do not like the optimas scrubber. The prism is a great unit other than the inconsistancy in manufacturing which hopefully Hollis will take care of since they brought Prism from Steam Machines. I also dont like Integrated electronics. That may be another whole conversation debating electronics and scrubbers, but I have done quite a bit of research and obsevation.

The Suunto website still lists the Vytec DS, and places you can buy it. Are you sure it's the Vytec DS that's been discontinued?

I can see your concern with that many units failing in your area. I love mine, and hope it lives a long time.

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

I'm amazed at the report of disfunctional Vytecs. I've always thought of Suunto as being at least well made, albeit way too conservative for any serious diver. I AM used to Aladin computers post-Scubapro being a pile of junk (a great shame as they used to be the best computers going, the de facto norm for all British divers). My own Stinger is still going strong after 10 or 11 years, the only problem with it (other than its conservatism) being the exceptionally heavy battery consumption and the fact that I can't change the battery myself.

So if Suunto are going the way of Aladin, what reliable recreational computers remain?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users