• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Computers VRx

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:19 AM

I'm amazed at the report of disfunctional Vytecs. I've always thought of Suunto as being at least well made, albeit way too conservative for any serious diver. I AM used to Aladin computers post-Scubapro being a pile of junk (a great shame as they used to be the best computers going, the de facto norm for all British divers). My own Stinger is still going strong after 10 or 11 years, the only problem with it (other than its conservatism) being the exceptionally heavy battery consumption and the fact that I can't change the battery myself.

So if Suunto are going the way of Aladin, what reliable recreational computers remain?

Suunto Vytec DS are still available per their website. I know a number of overseas dive resorts that use them for their dive guides, who are in the water 3-4 dives/day, everyday. I can't help but think that it must have been a bad batch, or some other problem...

Even with it's conservativeness taken into account, I love my Vytec. Love, love, love it.

Anybody else hear of any Suunto quality issues?

#17 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

I'm amazed at the report of disfunctional Vytecs. I've always thought of Suunto as being at least well made, albeit way too conservative for any serious diver. I AM used to Aladin computers post-Scubapro being a pile of junk (a great shame as they used to be the best computers going, the de facto norm for all British divers). My own Stinger is still going strong after 10 or 11 years, the only problem with it (other than its conservatism) being the exceptionally heavy battery consumption and the fact that I can't change the battery myself.

So if Suunto are going the way of Aladin, what reliable recreational computers remain?

Suunto Vytec DS are still available per their website. I know a number of overseas dive resorts that use them for their dive guides, who are in the water 3-4 dives/day, everyday. I can't help but think that it must have been a bad batch, or some other problem...

Even with it's conservativeness taken into account, I love my Vytec. Love, love, love it.

Anybody else hear of any Suunto quality issues?

Yeah...I really like mine too. And, they are still selling them, but no longer manufacturing them. They are being replaced by the Helio. Some people have had better luck than others. At first we thought it was a pressure sensor issue, but now I think its in the chip or software.

#18 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

Love my Suunto, especially for it's conservative logarithms! (I'll take all the extra safety margins I can get, but I'm just a recreational diver!!) I bought it July 2006, and it has never malfunctioned, and it's still on the original battery! My only regret is that I didn't get the air-integrated version up front......
Posted Image

#19 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Love my Suunto, especially for it's conservative logarithms! (I'll take all the extra safety margins I can get, but I'm just a recreational diver!!) I bought it July 2006, and it has never malfunctioned, and it's still on the original battery! My only regret is that I didn't get the air-integrated version up front......

I'd get the battery changed if I were you if it is 3 years old.
I had mine go nearly dead really fast, and I never saw less than 4 bars on the battery when I turned it on. Also carry a spare battery in your dive kit, just in case. I got lucky and an essentially complete stranger in Singapore got me a battery, AND brought it to the Changi airport for me, when I was arriving to Lembeh last year. I was so amazed by this man's kindness to me, I could not thank him enough. I only met him via an email as a suggestion from my dive resort.

And yeah, the air integrated, hoseless is fantastic.

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

Slightly off topic. If anyone knows of a reliable source for a quality and dependable tool for opening a Stinger please post it here. There was someone in Germany who I wrote to, but when I tried to "consummate" the deal he became all vague and woolly.

#21 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

Just remember; when you go into triple digit deco you just get two slashes. "--" :dancing:

#22 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

Just remember; when you go into triple digit deco you just get two slashes. "--" :dancing:

Really?!

I try to stay under 45 mins.

#23 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

Really?!

I try to stay under 45 mins.

Yeah... you dont get any digits back until you go on your first deco gas......

#24 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

oh....and another thing some of the vytecs did this diving on their own thing. My lds recently sent one back and they said it was fine. We turned it on and it started diving at 145ft for over 177 minutes..... This was at the shop.....well away from good old salt water.

#25 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

I'd get the battery changed if I were you if it is 3 years old.
I had mine go nearly dead really fast, and I never saw less than 4 bars on the battery when I turned it on. Also carry a spare battery in your dive kit, just in case. I got lucky and an essentially complete stranger in Singapore got me a battery, AND brought it to the Changi airport for me, when I was arriving to Lembeh last year. I was so amazed by this man's kindness to me, I could not thank him enough. I only met him via an email as a suggestion from my dive resort.

And yeah, the air integrated, hoseless is fantastic.

Thanks for the heads up! Mine has shown 4 bars for the past year now. I do carry the extra battery, but maybe I'll just pop it in during my "dry" months of winter, and get another spare for the kit.
Posted Image

#26 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

Do you all typical replace the o-ring when you swap out a new battery??? I carry spare cells on all trips, thankful all CVS -RadioShack carry sizes. BTW Oceanic VT PRO air intergrated. The wrist computer did go blank on a deep dive ( no tank psi) for 10 minutes and manufacture did replace new internal modula at a hefty price to me.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#27 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Do you all typical replace the o-ring when you swap out a new battery??? I carry spare cells on all trips, thankful all CVS -RadioShack carry sizes. BTW Oceanic VT PRO air intergrated. The wrist computer did go blank on a deep dive ( no tank psi) for 10 minutes and manufacture did replace new internal modula at a hefty price to me.

Its hard to say wether you have to, but if its included in the kit I would replace the o-ring. And, I would like to once again say that I really liked my vytec. I just was wondering if anyone had experience with the Vrx?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users