• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Mistakes ??

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

:teeth: After reading all of your responses ,I feel better.My first real treat into Diving was in Cozumel.Yes,being a newbie, I was excited!,anxious !, etc.I got every thing ready to jump in ,holding my mask,camera in the other hand(small,point and shoot).Jumping ,hit the water and realized I didn't have my regulator in my mouth.The hardest thing is my buddies that were with me,still don't let me forget that one :lol: .The other thing about the story ,that was the day our dive was being video taped.So I get to re live it every time,its played. :D
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#17 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

First salt water dive was just this Dec in Belize... not only was it my first ocean/boat/wo the instructor that taught me dive... I was also diving solo... Now I am pretty outgoing and confident (can talk to just about anything with anyone and usually do), but still it is safe to say that I might have been just a tad outside my comfort zone... not that I am making excuses.

The short/short version = geared up without re-checking my air (had checked it before the run to the dive site... then turned it off). I caught this one on the boat, but still, the DM opened my tank for me :tears:... then I find myself in the water without my weight belt. Now I was VERY up front and honest with the DM on the ride out... 2 dives past my checkout... equalization problems = slow going down and I suck air like there's no tomorrow... but still... totally wiped out whatever ego I might have had :unsure:.

So first "real" dive and two oops... not an auspicous start... guess there might be a reason to come up with a pre-dive routine.

#18 Dantheengineer

Dantheengineer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hi guys!

I got quite a shock having jumped in and descended to about 40' with my air only just on.
Later analysis indicated that having turned my own air all the way on then back a quarter turn, during the "buddy" check, my less than experienced buddy then turned it all the way off, then on a quarter turn. I am ,it goes without saying, a bloody idiot for letting him!

The "Take a few breaths whilst watching the SPG" final check is now something i always perform and encourage in others. However urgent, everything else is secondary to the breathing requirement.

I had a bit of a moment during my DMT when hurrying to catch up with the instructor and class i jumped in without my fins?? if you can believe that!
Fortunately, another instructor was still on the boat and she, helpfully, threw one as far as she could in one direction and the second, just as far as she could 180 degrees away from it...........you just cant buy that kind of education. It hasn't happened since............

(Utila Stan? Very jealous!)
Regards
Dan Posted Image

Bahamas....Expulsis Piratis - Restituta Commercia Posted Image

There is no spoon.

#19 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hi guys!

I got quite a shock having jumped in and descended to about 40' with my air only just on.
Later analysis indicated that having turned my own air all the way on then back a quarter turn, during the "buddy" check, my less than experienced buddy then turned it all the way off, then on a quarter turn. I am ,it goes without saying, a bloody idiot for letting him!

The "Take a few breaths whilst watching the SPG" final check is now something i always perform and encourage in others. However urgent, everything else is secondary to the breathing requirement.

I had a bit of a moment during my DMT when hurrying to catch up with the instructor and class i jumped in without my fins?? if you can believe that!
Fortunately, another instructor was still on the boat and she, helpfully, threw one as far as she could in one direction and the second, just as far as she could 180 degrees away from it...........you just cant buy that kind of education. It hasn't happened since............

(Utila Stan? Very jealous!)

Bro". Join me in Rincon, PR in a couple weeks or Saint Martin in March!!!
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#20 Dantheengineer

Dantheengineer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Bro". Join me in Rincon, PR in a couple weeks or Saint Martin in March!!!

I'd love to old boy, but the bank just wont allow. I was fortunate enough to get a shore dive in off Crash Boat just to the north of Rincon earlier on last year. Keep an eye out for Sea Horses and Gurnards. There was a quite excellent Tech shop we outfitted the tanks/lead through. Poseidon recreational rebreathers on PR? who'd have thunk it?

I'm keeping an on the Turks & Caicos trip tho.
Dive well my friend!
Regards
Dan Posted Image

There is no spoon.

#21 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hi guys!

Say :cool1: Dan,Couldn't help notice your location .4 years ago,thats where I did my final 2 OW. Stuarts Cove,Erica Lay a cute little English-- Lassie.Went to Nari Nari. I'll always remember that site.Scuba Diving Mag has a contest going on for your local.Answer "Why Divers choose Bahamas to Dive there."Not trying to take away from your trips WW."
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#22 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:44 PM

A little side bar to this lessons learned. If someone does the advanced diver no fin entry. :cool1: Don't throw them their fins. Take them to them. First they can't swim and second some fins are negatively buoyant. They are a bit disheveled to start with after demonstrating such an advanced entry technique to a boat full of critics. So take their fins to them then give them ONE FIN. Assist them if necessary putting it on. I get a bit negative and descend just under the surface ready to go grab it if it's dropped. Once the first fin is put on, hand them the second fin and repeat.

After both fins are in place compliment them on the performance and execution of such a difficult skill. Discuss any nuances in the presentation that you are unsure of or any suggestions you may have from personal experience to enhance the overall enjoyment of using the no fin entry.

In all seriousness, fix one problem before continuing or making it worse.

Edited by Jerrymxz, 08 January 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#23 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thank you, Jerry! Very nicely put.

Can the critics laugh over your demonstration of such advanced skills at the watering hole afterwards? :cool1:
Posted Image

#24 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Can the critics laugh over your demonstration of such advanced skills at the watering hole afterwards? :wakawaka:

Only uneducated single eye brow types would ridicule someone for a demonstration of a complex dive skill. In fact you should approach the individual and attempt to engage them on some of the intricacies of when such a method is best employed. At first they may be too humble to want to talk about it but with some coaxing they should be willing to converse about it. Especially if you ask them if it would be ok for you to post pictures of the demonstration on the internet so everyone could benefit from the presentation. Normally this approach is followed be an open dialogue and a fresh round of beverages. :cool1:

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#25 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

Bah, last trip I was on I was all set to demonstrate the no fins entry, but the trip operator was worried that other people might try and imitate me. Given that the negative buoyancy fins recovery qualifies as a super advanced technique, I can see why you wouldn't want beginners trying it out. Photographing their skills with the no fin's entry is likely to embarrass the average humble diver though. Remember, don't teach the advanced skills until you are sure they are ready for it.

#26 Dantheengineer

Dantheengineer

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:16 AM

I hadn't expected to enjoy such positive reinforcement of what i considered to be, merely a foolish over sight. Thanks.
At the time i recall, I frankly just felt like a bit of a knob.

It's true what what they say, go to SD to meet nice folk and feel good about yourself or go to Scuba-board and get into a row!

For information, this was actually at the Nari Nari, a tame but pretty training site with Cove's and the fins did sink. At 40' depth with crystal clear viz it was not a dangerous exercise. Just time consuming.....i recall i also withstood a hammering for being tardy in joining the training class. But then, i also seem to recall an awful great deal of the DMT seemed to involve my taking hits for something or other. Nobody ever ASKS you if you want your character built, do they? :teeth:

I'll have a look at that question competition. Although in my case it's a simple draw, only that of proximity. I can see the cooling stacks near Stuart Coves from my bedroom window.

Back to thread topic, did anyone hear any more about that lad who'd dived in on a surface interval without his scuba unit to retrieve a "dropped over board" item. I remember he'd still had on his weight belt and was unable (or to panicked) to release it and thusly sunk and drowned. I remember that was around late summer, early fall last year in the US i think. There's a hell of a lesson right there.
Regards
Dan Posted Image

There is no spoon.

#27 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

It's true what what they say, go to SD to meet nice folk and feel good about yourself or go to Scuba-board and get into a row!

:birthday:

Nobody ever ASKS you if you want your character built, do they? :birthday:

Nope, nobody ever asked me before the lesson commenced!

Back to thread topic, did anyone hear any more about that lad who'd dived in on a surface interval without his scuba unit to retrieve a "dropped over board" item. I remember he'd still had on his weight belt and was unable (or to panicked) to release it and thusly sunk and drowned. I remember that was around late summer, early fall last year in the US i think. There's a hell of a lesson right there.

Yes, indeed it is, and I think we had a thread on this particular learning lesson. Hopefully, all who visit our site & read these threads will learn from the mistakes of others.....

After all, one man feeling like a bit of a knob - and admitting it - is a great lesson for us all! Thanks, everyone :birthday:
Posted Image

#28 scubaclint

scubaclint

People are Getting to Know Me

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Solo Diver
  • Logged Dives:346

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

On my first night dive, I was with an instructor and another student. I was wearing a backup light on my mask strap that works like a headlamp. We were decending and I forgot that it was on. I looked at my instructor for guidance and thought "Who is shining the light right in his face!?!" I looked at the other student and the same thing, "Wow, who is so inconsiderate by blinding everybody with their light!?! Oops, never mind! :fish2:

#29 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

At the lake (Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell TX in this case), when DM-ing a class, the first thing most of the DMs and Instructors do in the morning is set up, then lug our rigs to the floating dock, where we drop them in and clip them to a line with carabiners so they don't float away. That way, if we're part of the in-water crew, we can walk to the dock, put on our fins (mask is usually clipped to BC), jump in the water, and gear up to wait for students.

The trouble starts when we're not paying attention and forget to put some air in our BCs before dropping the whole rig in. It's amazing how fast those suckers sink to the bottom. It's also hard to live down. Ask me how I know.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#30 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Ouch! :cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users