• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Belize Jan 9-16, 2010...OFFICIAL TRIP REPORT!!!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#136 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:Solo, EAN
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

Performance of the latest GoPro Hero Wide High Definition camera provided to me is superior to any of the previous units, but problems remain. The problem with "freezing" seems to have been resolved as I have not experienced it with this unit. The problem with empty (0kb) files or corrupted normal size files has been reduced, but not eliminated, with an occurrence rate of approximately 1 in 20 files. Not bad for a $270 camera, unless the empty/corrupted file is the one of a dolphin giving birth to a shark!

Note: I have never experienced any problem with water seeping in, but I don't know when I should change out the O ring to be sure no problem arises.

Note: I only shoot in 4:3 format, 960p resolution, 30fps. It is too hard to aim in 16:9 format and at 1080p the 170 degree field of view is reduced to 127 degrees and when combined with the magnification effect of water it is difficult to compose the shots.

#137 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Have you gone back to GoPro with this information? I'd say the jury is still out, and although I'm tempted I'm still wary.

There were 90-odd skydivers here a few weeks ago, and I noticed that many (at least 30) were using GoPro cameras mounted to their helmets. All seemed to love them, and I was told by one owner that she and several others had taken their GoPro cameras down to 150ft in the Blue Hole, and they all worked properly.

#138 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

At the group dinner, I scoffed at the suggestion of our local member that The Economist magazine was a conservative publication. Upon reflection, I realized I had not read it regularly for at least a decade, thus my impression might be out of date. I have now secured a (free) subscription and it has begun to arrive with my mail. I will be reading it over the next months and report back whether my opinion of it has changed.

#139 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

I shall be very interested to follow progress on this one. Please keep me posted. I'm still inclined to buy one, but only once I can be confident that it'll work properly.

I have now used the most recent camera sent to me by GoPro for 100+ dives with no problems, save for the out of focus blur that is the result of the absence of a flat lens in front of the camera lens (simply, to see clearly underwater the camera needs a flat lens mask just as you and I do). Several fixes to this problem are offered by third parties, but none by GoPro itself. I have not been persuaded that the suggested fixes were adequate or worth the price, until now. Check out this 1 minute video I made today diving Grand Cayman using the Eye Of Mine "pro" housing (a modification of the manufacturer's case). FANTASTIC results! http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7J_meOSFiY4

Edited by TexasDiver, 08 January 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#140 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Nice vid, nice improvement. I came across a sale at Costco for the 920hd model for ski and water. I'll get to try it out in CUR next week. Please PM me the link to housing if able.HNY Craig.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#141 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

I was going to use both of my GoPro cameras, 1 in new housing, 1 in old housing, on the same dive shooting the same scenes so that I could post video really demonstrating the difference the Eye of Mine housing makes (http://www.eyeofmine.com/) but by luck I became the first paying customer to dive the USS Kittiewake that was sunk just 4 days ago and I filled up the flash card (I didn't attempt to take 2 cameras for initial exploration of the ship) and had no room left to make video on the second dive! lol Here is link to rough cut of the wreck dive video (5 min.)

#142 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

Ah, I haven't dived a real wreck for so long! Not that that's a real wreck - you could see all of it from a single point. On a real wreck you only know you've reached it when you bang your knees on it!

Was that video taken with the GoPro housing or the new one? And was that drum someone went into about 1/3 of the way through the clip a recompression chamber?

Edited by peterbj7, 09 January 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#143 TexasDiver

TexasDiver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Ah, I haven't dived a real wreck for so long! Not that that's a real wreck - you could see all of it from a single point. On a real wreck you only know you've reached it when you bang your knees on it!

Was that video taken with the GoPro housing or the new one? And was that drum someone went into about 1/3 of the way through the clip a recompression chamber?

I'm going to dive the "wreck" again tomorrow ... must pay to dive the wreck but not clear whether the fee is per dive, per week, per year, or some other duration. Posted video was shot with Eye of Mine flat lens modification to GoPro supplied housing.

Yes, a recompression chamber (the ship was a submarine rescue vessel) only one way in and out! I intend to find out if the hatch is welded open! lol

Here is side by side comparison of GoPro housing vs. EoM housing (shot with 2 cameras in 2 housings at same time -- about as close to identical as possible):

#144 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

The new case is a HUGE improvement. Say Hi to Mike for me. Dive Safe, Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users