• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ginnie Springs Diver Dies While Solo Scuba Diving

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Cert Level:Private
  • Logged Dives:Private

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:04 AM

Diver Dies While Solo Scuba Diving
Monday Aug 30, 2004 @ 11:01
Submitted by Cliff Etzel

On August 24th, a Tallahassee man drowned while solo scuba diving at Ginnie Springs, Florida.

The diver, Brian Luke Tindale, age 24, is said to have arrived with his three friends at Ginnie Springs at approximately 8:30 p.m. Friday evening to set up camp, according to Gilchrist County Sheriff David Turner. According to official reports, two of the friends went paddling in a canoe while another snorkeled behind them, and Tindale went scuba diving.

Before disappearing, Tindale told his friends he had approximately 12 minutes of air left in his tank. At 2:30 a.m., after 20 minutes without any sign of Tindale, Tindale's friends called 911, Sheriff Turner stated.

Ginnie Springs recovery divers found Tindale in a cave at Devil's Ear Spring with his mouthpiece still in place. Tindale was a certified open-water diver, but he did not have cave-diving certification, Turner said.

"Alcohol may have been a factor based on witness reports," according to authorities.

Officials stated that it would take several weeks before toxicology results are available and the investigation is continuing.

#2 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:04 AM

Condolences and prayers to family and friends.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:14 AM

Very sad, but an important lesson. Stay out of caves unless you are cave certified.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

Reports are saying that he had 500# left when he went into the cavern zone...

Just a plain stupid move.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#5 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:42 PM

Stupid, yes but, my prayers go out to his family & friends- imaging the guit his friends must be feeling now.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:44 PM

A sad story, but one where the only person responsible was the diver concerned. I just hope people learn from this lesson.

Doesnt the entrance to the Ginnie Springs cave have a big warning sign saying that "Do not enter without Cave Diving training. People have died here and you could to....etc". I havnt been there but I remember it said so in Burny Chowdry's - The Last Dive.

-Jack
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#7 RichardB

RichardB

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:57 PM

A sad story, but one where the only person responsible was the diver concerned. I just hope people learn from this lesson.

Doesnt the entrance to the Ginnie Springs cave have a big warning sign saying that "Do not enter without Cave Diving training. People have died here and you could to....etc". I havnt been there but I remember it said so in Burny Chowdry's - The Last Dive.

-Jack

You sign a two page agreement explaining the dangers, you watch a video explaining the dangers, you are personally counseled by staff there explaining the dangers, there is a large sign at Devils Ear, Eye and Little Devil spring parking area saying "People have Died Here" AND there are signs at the entrance to the caves past the cavern area (at about 45 feet) telling you stay out if you are not trained and equipped. Additionally, no lights are allowed except by certified cave divers in that area (if you can't see you won't go in).

And still........

But again, condolences to family and friends.

#8 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:16 PM

Very sad, but an important lesson. Stay out of caves unless you are cave certified.

Ditto that.

#9 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:34 PM

Oi! Very sad. :dltears:

#10 Trymixdiver

Trymixdiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Commercial, IANTD Tech
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:16 PM

For the locals who know that cave i pose a question

Is it posted, or written that solo diving is not allowed in the cave ? I would have to beleive it is a rule.

Sad story yes but:

1. He may have been drinking
2. he was diving solo in a cave
3. He was not certified to dive in caves
4. He went in a cave with tanks that barely had air in them
5. improper gear for cave diving

Sad but stupid, sorry to be so harsh but this is the way i see it.

Of course we dont have all the facts and hopefully there is a better reason.

Andy
If i could only dive and golf at the same time.

#11 JulioJoglar

JulioJoglar

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:21 PM

Yup...too many mistakes and a lot of lessons to learn.

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:24 PM

Unfortunately, on this one I am with Trymix Diver. There are too many lessons. Any of the issues listed were potentially fatal. Nobody that I know of goes into a cave with twelve minutes of air left, much less solo.

I feel for his friends and family.

Oh, and sometimes the cave divers will go solo. Check how Chris and Chrissy Rouse checked the cave in their area. But they were trained and experienced cave divers with proper gear and all of the necessary redundancies.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 Seawitch

Seawitch

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 01 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

Another unnecessary and preventable death.

My condolences to the family.

SW

"The battle of the sexes cannot be won; there is too much fraternization with the enemy" - Henry Kissinger

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 01 September 2004 - 01:13 PM

-Jack

yes, but the sign can't check C-cards, or push idiots back out of the cave.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

How very sad :dltears:

When I dove Ginnie Springs with Walter in May, we witnessed something dangerous and stupid. A snorkler dove down to the cavern entrance, about 15 feet under, and one of the divers let him take a big breath from his octopus. The snorkler proceeded to swim quickly the surface, holding his breath the entire time. !! It is a wonder the guy didn't blow a lung.

The irony is that the diver should have known better, but it's the snorkler who could have paid the price for his error.
:teeth:
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users