• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #374:

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #374: A CORMORANT CONVENTION

It has been nearly three months since I last took a plunge into mother Ocean. That will be remedied the next two weekends as the ladies of LSD (Laguna Sea Dwellers, one of my favorite dive clubs) are coming over to dive with Dr. Bill, then the following weekend is our annual Avalon Harbor Clean-Up. Despite the "drought," I haven't remained entirely dry. Thanks to a neighbor who hired a very poor contractor nine years ago, my house has plenty of leaks and small waterfalls. But I digress... as usual.

On a recent non-diving weekend I took advantage of nice weather to film what appeared to be a convention of cormorants in the vicinity of Avalon Bay. There were thousands of them congregating in the dive park and even entering Avalon Bay. I'd say billions of them, but that would be a fish... er, bird... story. I am by no means a bird enthusiast, but cormorants seem to have good intentions at least while submerged. I've filmed plenty of them as they hunt underwater for various fish and invertebrates. However, as Paul Harvey said, to present "the rest of the story" I needed a fair bit of topside footage as well. I enjoyed two days of sunshine, dive friends at the park and a chance to film "the birds" (not, fortunately, ala Alfred Hitchcock).

When I got home, I resorted to my Audubon field guides and determined that most of them were probably Brandt's cormorants (Phalacrocorax penicillatus). These birds are known from southern British Columbia, Canada, to Baja California, Mexico. Now as a scientist, I can't simply enjoy the wonders of Nature without asking a few questions. It's in our nature to do that. Why were all these birds gathering here? I knew the SCICo was interested in drawing more convention business here, but guessed these visitors had nothing to do with their marketing efforts! I noticed several bait balls which could certainly explain the bird's presence... after all, a free meal will get my attention any time! You know, girls... the way to a man's heart is through his esophagus (or is it stomach)?

I was astounded at the number of birds that seemed to be doing repeated dives in the vicinity of the baitballs. However, as the raft of dark bodies entered the harbor, I had a chance to observe them more closely. Although I watched many birds diving, I saw no evidence of fishing or feeding at all. Hmmm. Then another hypothesis entered my brain. Perhaps these were males showing off their diving prowess to the ladies, and this was a gathering for one of the two or three most important functions of any species... mating.

I noted that several of the birds had nice white tufts of feathers on the side of their head. I surmised that these were the males. However, when I did my research, I discovered that these were not indicative of maleness as either gender could possess them early in the breeding season. Since I saw relatively few birds with them, I researched further. A cobalt blue throat pouch is present only during the breeding season, but it is hard to see... especially if you forgot your glasses. Fortunately there is a secondary characteristic indicating it is time for reproduction, and I did see many of the birds with a buff colored patch on either side of the pouch.

Adult Brandt's cormorants are almost 36" high, making them a pretty big bird... although no match for the one on Sesame Street. They are dark in color with hints of iridescence, which I detected as greenish and bluish in color. This species nests on coastal and offshore rocks adjacent to the waters in which they feed. Three to six chalky bluish eggs may be found in the nests which are made from seaweed, plants or items stolen from the nests of seagulls. I guess that makes them cormorant kleptos! Immature birds are dark brown with lighter chests and were easy to distinguish within the group, especially after they dried off in the sun.

I would have loved to be underwater with the incredible number of cormorants diving. Several who were said they were seeing dozens underwater at a time. However, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them in the warmth of the sun and filming their topside behavior. Like the anhingas I see near Mom's house in Florida, cormorants spread their wings out to dry in the sun. While preening, I had seen Brandt's cormorants rubbing their heads against their feathers. However, I knew they lack an oil gland to keep their feathers waterproof like many other seabirds. Most seemed to spend a lot of time fluffing and adjusting their feathers, so I assumed many were female (duck and hide). I even noticed one rather aggressive cormorant pecking at other birds on a rock it had just climbed out on... he (I presume) chased at least three other birds away, including one which was trying to get out of the water itself.

For someone who knows so little about birds, I learned a lot through my filming and quick research on the Brandt's cormorant. Some times even I have to "dive dry" in my work. When I focus on the marine birds episode for my proposed cable TV show "Munching and Mating in the Macrocystis," I'll do a lot more research on them and share it with you. I hope you, too, have learned a bit about these birds that swim... and that it has whetted (or should I say wetted!) your appetite for more. I'm off to give a talk on "the night shift" at the Orange County Underwater Photographic Society... I hope I can continue to stay dry with these rains. At least I won't be under the waterfall at home.

Image caption: Head of Brandt's cormorant, some attendees of the convention just inside the dive park; cormorant preening itself (alternate caption: "Am I a boy... or a girl?") and cormorant holding wings out to dry.

Posted Image

#2 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Drysuit, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:175

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

Most seemed to spend a lot of time fluffing and adjusting their feathers, so I assumed many were female (duck and hide).

Ahem... I don't think women have the market cornered on fluffing and adjusting. :)

Another good article, thanks!
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, we're drowning on dry land.
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

Most seemed to spend a lot of time fluffing and adjusting their feathers, so I assumed many were female (duck and hide).

Ahem... I don't think women have the market cornered on fluffing and adjusting. :wakawaka:

Have to admit you're right, especially here in the Lost Angeles area! I don't fluff or adjust for anyone... take me as I am (I guess that's why I remain single, eh?).

#4 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Ahem... I don't think women have the market cornered on fluffing and adjusting. :wakawaka:

Have to admit you're right, especially here in the Lost Angeles area! I don't fluff or adjust for anyone... take me as I am (I guess that's why I remain single, eh?).

Dr.Bill,Have you ever written a book?Seriously,I also agree another interesting article &"commentary".LOST Angeles,that's close to?????? LMAO :teeth:
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#5 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Only if you categorize bathing under fluff and adjust. :wakawaka:

There are plenty of females (myself included) that prefer a guy that doesn't worry too much about that. Besides - no amount of fluffing and adjusting can compensate for a lack of personality and you have personality by the truckload. :teeth:
Come on and wade way out into the water with me, jump in and take my hand. --Gaelic Storm, Scalliwag

#6 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:54 AM

A topside read and a great and informative one at that! Thanks again for sharing!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

Besides - no amount of fluffing and adjusting can compensate for a lack of personality and you have personality by the truckload. :P

You're right... garbage truck load!

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:21 AM

Dr.Bill,Have you ever written a book?Seriously,I also agree another interesting article &"commentary".LOST Angeles,that's close to?????? LMAO :P

I've had a number of requests to put out a "Best of..." my Dive Dry columns but so far have resisted. I do plan to write an autobiographical novel later, sell the movie rights for a few billion and be able to afford any dive destination I want to go to... only problem is I'll be living in a nursing home by that time.

#9 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

Dr.Bill,Have you ever written a book?Seriously,I also agree another interesting article &"commentary".LOST Angeles,that's close to?????? LMAO :P

I've had a number of requests to put out a "Best of..." my Dive Dry columns but so far have resisted. I do plan to write an autobiographical novel later, sell the movie rights for a few billion and be able to afford any dive destination I want to go to... only problem is I'll be living in a nursing home by that time.

Thanks,It would appear as though writing comes so naturally to you.Your sense of humor adds to the "personal touch "that you have and is verbalized in your articles.If you are in the nursing home.You'll be on the list of hit parade of speakers.I'll wait & watch the shelfs for "The Best of.."

Edited by Greg@ihpil, 12 February 2010 - 09:40 AM.

Greg

#10 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

Besides - no amount of fluffing and adjusting can compensate for a lack of personality and you have personality by the truckload. :wub:

You're right... garbage truck load!

What's the quote? "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused." Anonymous

Brains, personality, and humor are a rare combination. ;)

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

Brains, personality, and humor are a rare combination. :wub:

You mean you've actually seen something inside my head? My friends here on the island said I should have my head examined, so I did (see all that dark, empty space?)...

Posted Image

#12 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

Brains, personality, and humor are a rare combination. :D

You mean you've actually seen something inside my head? My friends here on the island said I should have my head examined, so I did (see all that dark, empty space?)...

Posted Image

A severe case of DCS,or you've been with kelp to long . ;) :-D :wub:

Greg

#13 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

You actually have a scanned image of your brain? :birthday: I'm going to go with dark = dense as in tissue density. :thankyou:

#14 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

Yep, Actually that is only one slice out of dozens that they took in the hospital when I suffered what may have been a stroke while working for the Cousteaus on board their windship Alcyone in 1985. We were filming for a two hour TV special on the Channel Islands and I had an incident the first night on board, but worked for nearly two weeks before going to the mainland to see a doctor who immediately put me in the hospital and ran EVERY test my insurance company would pay for!

#15 lynnlchan

lynnlchan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

That seems pretty young to suffer a stroke. There was no definitive conclusion on what it was?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users