• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Home Wifi Not Working

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hey my techie friends... I was able a while ago to set up a router (linksys N-router) to my Comcast cable internet.... and it went all funny yesterday (I know, I know... a highly technical term "all funny"... but I figure you're used to that :teeth: )

I attempted to reset the router to the factory default and then tried to set it up again so I could have multiple computers connect to it wirelessly within the house (as long as they gave the correct secret password...)... but my computer wouldn't or couldn't see the router or if it did see the router (at one point it did...) it wouldn't connect so I could use the internet wirelessly (pretty important in my house for a variety of reasons...)

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I know each system is probably different and each internet connection is also probably different... but I thought I'd ask and see what you all say. :teeth: and :thankyou:

#2 Jerrymxz

Jerrymxz

Gettng to KNow Me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Master Diver TDI Extended range
  • Logged Dives:453 LOGGED many not

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Do you have anything that can "see" your router, (another computer, smart phone)?

can your computer see any other routers?

that will cut your problem in half to decide if it is your router or your computer

Each wreck has a tale to tell about its life and its demise. 

If you are observant while diving in dark places listen to the account each has to tell, You cannot come away unaffected.   
Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Having dealt with many power outages at my house, what I find is that I have to do the following in order to reset.

1) Unplug the Comcast modem. Leave for a few minutes, and then plug back in
2) Unplug the linksys router, leave for a few minutes, then plug back in
3) shut down your computer, leave for a few minutes, then start back up

By doing it in that order, one at a time, waiting for the first one to fully start before rebooting the next one, seems to work with my equipment. Otherwise, it seems to get confused somewhere along the line and never starts. If you can't get to the internet, one thing to try is to plug your computer directly to the comcast modem. If that works, then you know its the router where the problem is.

#4 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:21 AM

Details, details.... What is the router model number and what is the Comcast modem type? That will help me look up the docs for the units online and give a better response. :)

If you reset to factory defaults, then your IP range on the router has changed and Internet settings been wiped out. Plug your PC or laptop directly into one of the LAN ports (Typically there are 4 on home routers). Then type:

http://192.168.0.1 (That is the typical factory default for routers)

...and see if it loads a router page. If it does, then you will need an access code and password to get in. The model number will tell me which pass to use. Once in, you can re-enter your login info for your Internet connection and get all of your devices back online.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#5 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

Details, details.... What is the router model number and what is the Comcast modem type? That will help me look up the docs for the units online and give a better response. :)

What about the old tried-and-true method?

If it won't work, hit it hard.

If it continues to not work, add duct tape.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 28 April 2010 - 01:46 PM.

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

If it won't work, hit it hard.

If it continues to not work, add duct tape.

PPM

Are you, by chance, a Red Green fan?? :)
Posted Image

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well between George and Simon its been covered (well its totally covered by John now). Try the power down routine before trying to access the router through the IP address (which is the 192.168.0.1 address Simon gave).

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#8 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:26 PM

That is true for D-Link routers. I believe that Linksys products more commonly default to 192.168.1.1

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

That is true for D-Link routers. I believe that Linksys products more commonly default to 192.168.1.1

-JimG

yeah that and people who never reset the administrators password or beacon ID. At one point last year there were 25 "Linksys" beacons at home and all but one had not changed the factory admin password. it was very tempting :), but didnt.

Edited by Scubatooth, 28 April 2010 - 01:38 PM.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

As Shadragon said, plug the computer directly into the wireless router using an ethernet cable. Trying to connect it wirelessly following a reboot of the router is fraught with difficulties. Beyond that, shutting everything down and rebooting all items in order, letting each complete rebooting before starting the next, has always worked for me.

#11 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

Thanks to Everyone for your help... I'm now back online wirelessly!! :wacko:

Slow and steady (and figuring out the quirks of the linksys CD as to WHEN power can be added...and WHEN cables need to be attached...) wins the race every time.

George, thanks for your post on what to do for power outages... I've been lucky so far, but in the metro Denver area, I've learned to expect power outages... I'll keep your directions in hand for future mishaps.

Simon, I'm not sure what the IP resets to, but thanks for the tip on searching for the IP address... it just may come in handy.

Oh, and I've reset the admin password but I'm not telling what it is! :cool1: And the name of my network is NOT linksys! :lmao:

Again....THANK YOU! I've said it before, but I'll say it again, TECHIES ROCK!!

#12 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

Glad you're back on. A couple of tips on security. I don't bother with setting keys etc. I simply do two things. I set the router to recognise only my computer(s) by IP address/MAC code, and I suppress transmission of the router's id. That way no-one else can identify or link to your network.

#13 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Glad you're back on. A couple of tips on security. I don't bother with setting keys etc. I simply do two things. I set the router to recognise only my computer(s) by IP address/MAC code, and I suppress transmission of the router's id. That way no-one else can identify or link to your network.

Peter, that sounds great...but I have no idea how to do that :wacko:
I like to be able to have any friends who are visiting and staying with me have access to my network, so have it password protected and just give them the password so they can do anything they need to do like checking email or finishing any work (they're usually headed to a conference or other work related activity and I'm a stop over that we both enjoy.)

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Heidi

when you log into the router look for a option (probably around the name line) for a check box or toggle for the router Beacon, SSID or name. This is what peter is talking about there should be a way to turn it off so the router is not broadcasting the name.

I said it was tempting, doesnt mean I did it, plus I dont want to get into trouble with feds. The hacking laws on the books are not lightt.

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

That's right, it's SSID broadcasting you want to suppress. If you're sufficiently familiar with changing the router's settings, and you would become familiar pretty quickly, then you can find the MAC number from a visiting computer and add it to your list. No need to remove it afterwards - just leave it there permanently, then that friend will always have access to your network.

My suggested method of security is far more resistant to hacking than any password system you might try.

Edited by peterbj7, 28 April 2010 - 11:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users