• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anyone have Maui info

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

I will be going to Maui in March!! Anyone have any info to give?? Places to go or things to see?? Any dive op info would be great!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#2 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:44 AM

Stay away from Scuba Shack in Kihei on Maui. They have a 'don't pee in your wetsuit' rule that's ridiculous, and there has been a lot of published nonsense by the owner of that op. And with your signature line, this may not be the dive op for you! :lmao:
Posted Image

#3 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

:teeth: LLDN.....I see what you're sayin!! :2cool:

#4 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

We dove with Ed Robinson - and I can't say enough about them!!!! Ed even came out and dove with us one day - great DM's and great diving! They do leave the doc early! :) Gotta beat the winds.........
Known puker

#5 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

It's been years since I was there but I also dove with Ed Robinson. The are great, they leave out of Kihei, and being there is March the whales should still be there and you can hear them singing while you are underwater, it is such a great experience and then you see tons of them on the surface. Some of the memorable dives I did were the back side of Molikini, and a drift dive that started inside of Molikini, both we saw giant manta on. And also a trip to dive the Cathedrals, spinner dophins.....I was also there in March. I've got to plan a trip back :)

I also recommend for a non diving day that you get up really early and drive to the top of Haleakala to watch the sunrise. I know it's early but it is something you won't forget.

I haven't done it but I had some friends there over Christmas and I guess that Maui has a awesome zipline now.

I love Maui, one of my favorite places to go. The water is definitely be chilly while you are there so be prepared for that.

Enjoy!

And if you have the time, a trip to Hana is a requirement!

Edited by rkymtwy, 27 January 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#6 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

I second Carla's recommendation of the sunrise at the top of Haleakala, but you should go to the Haleakala Bike Co (see picture) and let them drive you to the top.....then you watch the sunrise (awesome experience, but dress in layers as it's cold at 13k feet!) My picture did not do the sunrise justice! Of course, the crater itself is huge, and an interesting landscape. We had to be at the bike shop by 3:30am, I think. It's best to do this your first morning in Maui, as most people tend to wake early because their internal clock is off.

Then you ride the bikes down the volcano. A marathon....26+ miles down to the bike shop, and you only have to pedal maybe 200 yards. You stop & peel layers off as you go. You stop & take pictures. You stop and eat breakfast in this little town. Or, you don't stop at all and you just fly down the mountain. Incredible!!!

I gotta go back and to that again..... :P

Attached Thumbnails

• Haleakala Bike Co Van.JPG
  • Haleakala Sunrise #4.JPG
  • Haleakala Crater #7.JPG

Posted Image

#7 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

I second Carla's recommendation of the sunrise at the top of Haleakala, but you should go to the Haleakala Bike Co (see picture) and let them drive you to the top.....then you watch the sunrise (awesome experience, but dress in layers as it's cold at 13k feet!) My picture did not do the sunrise justice! Of course, the crater itself is huge, and an interesting landscape. We had to be at the bike shop by 3:30am, I think. It's best to do this your first morning in Maui, as most people tend to wake early because their internal clock is off.

Then you ride the bikes down the volcano. A marathon....26+ miles down to the bike shop, and you only have to pedal maybe 200 yards. You stop & peel layers off as you go. You stop & take pictures. You stop and eat breakfast in this little town. Or, you don't stop at all and you just fly down the mountain. Incredible!!!

Just be careful of DCS..there's a reason that we wait 24 hours to fly after diving and 13,000 feet is good elevation. I know when we do mountain diving around here we wait before crossing mountain passes.

Edited by georoc01, 27 January 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

I will be going to Maui in March!! Anyone have any info to give?? Places to go or things to see?? Any dive op info would be great!!

are you planning to be in Kihea or Lahaina?

I've been out with Ed Robinson's from Kihea and they are really good...I'd stay away from Maui dive shop unless you're looking to just rent tanks

and Lahaina...use Extended Horizons - they are excellent...the last time I was there, they didn't do any diving on Sundays
http://www.extendedh....com/Index.html

and stay away from Lahaina Dive shop too...it's def not geared toward a really serious diver

there's also some really good shore diving, especially in the Lahaina area

#9 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

We will be in Kihea. Did ya'll take your own gear or did you rent??

Tammy those pictures are awesome!!

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

We will be in Kihea. Did ya'll take your own gear or did you rent??

Tammy those pictures are awesome!!

OK, then you'll want to dive Molokini with Ed Robinsons

there's a dive we did in that area that had caves and stuff...really cool dive!

but you should look into diving to Lahaina and diving the Cathedrals..that is a super cool dive to do

and we took our gear with us

#11 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Just be careful of DCS..there's a reason that we wait 24 hours to fly after diving and 13,000 feet is good elevation. I know when we do mountain diving around here we wait before crossing mountain passes.

Another good reason for doing on your first day on the island, before you even start diving!
Posted Image

#12 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

I rented a tank and did a shore dive on a dock that collapsed during a storm, it is on Front Street in Lahaina. It was pretty cool and shallow which made for lots of bottom time. I think tank and weight rental was around $15.

Also, a Luau is a must when in Hawaii.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#13 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

The time has come!! We will be heading to Maui on Wednesday!! If anyone happens to be there let me know!! I will be staying from the 16th to the 23rd.

Thank You all so much for the info!! I have booked some dives with Ed Robinson. It looks like there will be quite a lot to do there and I am SOOO excited!!

In and after such a crisis in Japan, it is humbling to be greatfull I can still take vacation. I pray for the people of Japan. You never know when something like this will happen to you or a family member. Any number of things can happen to destroy life as we know it.

I Thank My God I am Blessed!!! God bless everyone!!

#14 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:12 AM

Have a grand time! look for ward to seeing a few pics!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#15 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:56 AM

I'm BACK!!

I don't have any pics ready yet as I had to go straight back to work from vacation. I would like to thank everyone that suggested Ed Robinson's for a dive op! :cool1: They were wonderful. I don't think I have ever been so spoiled on a dive boat before!! The first day we did a 3 dive boat adventure. They gave an awesome pre dive briefing that included types of fish we should see, even passing around the books to identify them. This was done at each dive site. They had snacks between dives(pineapple and banana nut bread, both to die for)and then a great sandwich lunch with drinks of water or soda. They put our gear together on the boat and then helped each person don their gear. Towels were handed out after each dive to help us warm up. The Pacific was a bit on the cold side. They were very laid back and did not get in a hurry to do anything. It was kind of like "take it easy and we will take care of you"!! I loved it!! The second day we only did 2 dives, but recieved the same special treatment minus the lunch. We were booked with another op for a third day to go dive the cathedrals, but the wind was too high to make the trip. :( Maybe another time!!

Kudos to Ed Robinson and his shop!!

PS. I forgot to mention we saw Whales topside both days!! And getting to hear them singing underwater during our dives was totally awesome!!! :2cool:

Edited by ScubaSis, 28 March 2011 - 01:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users