• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I feel like its a "Divers Anonymous" meeting.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:1
  • Logged Dives:-1

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

Me: (flat voice) Hi, i'm Will.
Support Group: (equally unenthusiastic monotone) Hi Will.
Group Leader: (obnoxiously enthusiastic) So Will, Tell us a bit about yourself.
Me: (slightly nervously) I've been a dive-a-holic since 2006, I had a two year clean period from 07-09' but I read shadow divers and found myself in the water the next day. I am currently in diving withdrawal and suffer occasional morning 'shakes' when i've been dreaming about diving again. I dive in the Finger Lakes Region of upstate New York during the summer and attend University of Rochester as a Physics Major during the months when I would rather dive than derive (sorry, calculus joke).

I keep my dives above 50', because i'm just not comfortable going deeper. Its not the depth, i'd dive to 130 in a heartbeat if I could, its the cold. I have no wetsuit, no drysuit, and no hood. This means two things, 1. I like cold, and 2. I'll be working all summer to afford a new one (because I like going in deep).

This summer I hope to finish my Master Diver Cert. with SSI, get a wetsuit and a Backplate & Wing setup, and then configure my rig for diving side mount.

All of my post "clean period" dives have been solo dives, which i'm very comfortable doing. But I don't have many friends in the dive community yet, just my local Instructor Certifier/Dive Shop owner.

Finally, while I dive solo, I met some of the SingleDivers women at Beneath the Sea over the weekend and they were just so friendly and fun I had to find out more about SingleDivers.

I can't really think of anything else right now.

-Will

#2 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Oh, forgot.

At the end of this summer or the beginning of next, I plan to hit TDI decompression procedures, combined with Nitrox/AdvancedNx, and extended range. I'd like to do trimix, but unless I blend it myself it's out of my price range.

Additionally, I can be considered a binge diver, and this is facilitated by a lake within walking distance (ok its half a mile down hill, so I drive) and the local dive shop is 10 minutes from my house. This means, if I get up at 7am, and go straight to diving, that I'll get up to 4 tank fills a day. My DS has started making me pay for all my dives on the first fill, so they don't have to keep ringing me up throughout the day.

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:22 AM

Hola and Welcome to Singledivers from texas! Glad to have you aboard!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hello and welcome.

I have no idea what it is like to dive in 'cold' water.

#5 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

You dive upstate NY with no exposure suit?? :-D Posted Image Gotta give you kudos for your nerve! :D I'm a warm water wuss myself, mainly because the fresh water in Missouri was so cold, murky & unappealing (to me) to dive in during my OW checkout dives, that I have always headed south to salt water for my pleasure diving.

And if you thought the SD folks at BTS were having fun, you'll just have to come along on one of our trips and see what happens when we're on vacation! :teeth:
Posted Image

#6 ThatJoeGuy

ThatJoeGuy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

And that is when she said, Oh woops.

(About 6s behind the group monotone, with obviously fake enthusiasm) "HI WILL"

(in a not quiet enough whisper to LLDN) "If he started talking does that mean it is impolite to go get a refill?"

#7 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

Welcome Will!

Glad to see you! I believe we chatted at BTS. I was one of the blue hairs :teeth: Check out the post about adventuring to Dutch Springs. We'd love to have you dive with us.
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#8 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Alright, so i've shared. Now its your turn; Clearly I don't know much if anything about any of you, except the nice lady with the blue hair she stood out at BTS. (I wonder why?)

#9 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Alright, so i've shared. Now its your turn; Clearly I don't know much if anything about any of you, except the nice lady with the blue hair she stood out at BTS. (I wonder why?)

Me: (with permanent @!&% eating grin) Hi, I'm Erica.
Support Group: (equally unenthusiastic monotone) Hi Erica.
Group Leader: (obnoxiously enthusiastic) So Erica, Tell us a bit about yourself.
Me: (still @!&% eating grin, may be blushing by now) I've been a dive-a-holic since 2000 something, the longest sober period I've had was a little over a year. I am currently in diving withdrawal and last weekend I traveled 3 hours to a scuba show where no diving actually occurred so that I could feel closer to my addiction. The addiction is so fierce that while I haven't yet peed in my swimsuit while dreaming about diving, I am considering donning a dry suit to dive locally. This is a major sign that my addiction is worsening as I am a no wet or dry suit diver. Previously I only indulged in my addiction when water temps were warm enough to be comfortable with out suits. Further evidence that my addiction is becoming stronger is my desire to spend my part of my savings for a down payment on a house on another dive trip, not to mention the lack of vacation at work and the fact that at some point my thesis needs to be written.

Before joining SD.com a few years ago I had no friends in the dive community. For this reason I convinced my father (ScubaTex) to become a diver. When he got tired of me being the only diver he knew, he joined SD.com. Subsequently, I got tired of him being the only diver I knew and joined as well.

Edited by TXAggieDiver, 28 March 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#10 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Group Leader: (obnoxiously enthusiastic) So Erica, Tell us a bit about yourself.
Me: (still @!&% eating grin, may be blushing by now) I've been a dive-a-holic since 2000 something, the longest sober period I've had was a little over a year. I am currently in diving withdrawal and last weekend I traveled 3 hours to a scuba show where no diving actually occurred so that I could feel closer to my addiction. The addiction is so fierce that while I haven't yet peed in my swimsuit while dreaming about diving, I am considering donning a dry suit to dive locally. This is a major sign that my addiction is worsening as I am a no wet or dry suit diver. Previously I only indulged in my addiction when water temps were warm enough to be comfortable with out suits. Further evidence that my addiction is becoming stronger is my desire to spend my part of my savings for a down payment on a house on another dive trip, not to mention the lack of vacation at work and the fact that at some point my thesis needs to be written.

Before joining SD.com a few years ago I had no friends in the dive community. For this reason I convinced my father (ScubaTex) to become a diver. When he got tired of me being the only diver he knew, he joined SD.com. Subsequently, I got tired of him being the only diver I knew and joined as well.

Hi, Will, glad you met my 'Spawn'.
Spawn, I knew joining SD would pay off for you sooner or later.

Bill aka 'Dad'

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#11 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Ahem....I don't know what kind of support groups you guys are used to, but sheesh! The lack of enthusiasm......good thing you're exploring alternatives! :lmao:

MY support group is enthusiastic, welcoming, vocal, diverse, sometimes rowdy, Posted Image and always ready & willing to discuss our mutual addiction.
When I show up, everybody shouts "TAMMY!!!!" and comes & gives me a hug. If they don't know me, you can bet I'll get a hug by the end of the event.
It helps that I make a killer rum punch.... Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Ahem....I don't know what kind of support groups you guys are used to, but sheesh! The lack of enthusiasm......good thing you're exploring alternatives! :lmao:

MY support group is enthusiastic, welcoming, vocal, diverse, sometimes rowdy, Posted Image and always ready & willing to discuss our mutual addiction.
When I show up, everybody shouts "TAMMY!!!!" and comes & gives me a hug. If they don't know me, you can bet I'll get a hug by the end of the event.
It helps that I make a killer rum punch.... Posted Image

Good point Tammy! I was following the theme Will set out but really I went to BTS to see all my SD.com friends in person! It was a mini Cozumel July 2010 reunion. There were shouts of ERICA!!! and many hugs and kisses from the boys (and girls) of SD.com.

And pops I'm not sure what you mean by "pay off" but I have met some great people on the site.

#13 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

I traveled to (what i think is) the same dive show. Except mine was a 9 hour 500 mile drive. I would dive during the winter in the genesee river, except it would require ERDI II, HAZMAT training, and a dry suit.

#14 duganalexzander

duganalexzander

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Oh, and what's your thesis on? (I may or may not have mentioned that i'm a physics major).

#15 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Oh, and what's your thesis on? (I may or may not have mentioned that i'm a physics major).

You did mention it and I actually got the Calc joke. :) It's undecided but will have something to do with the EPA ratings given to government agencies that submit Environmental Impact Statements. I'm majoring in Environmental Policy Management concentrating in Natural Resource Management. So basically I too am a science geek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users