• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Headed to Fairbanks, AK

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hello dive community,

I'm headed to Fairbanks, Alaska for work from Oct 30 to just before Thanksgiving. I'll be working most of the time but I was hoping anyone familiar with the area could give me some pointers on things to do on my Sundays off. I was hoping to maybe get some ice fishing or other cool native activities in. If you have any suggestions for fun things to do or know of any outfitters let me know!

:thankyou:
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

#2 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

Unfortunately I'm only familiar with Anchorage except a brief visit to the college campus in Fairbanks over 30 years ago so I'm not much help, but I will put some feelers out for you to some friends who still live in Anchorage to see if they know of some fun things to do in Fairbanks. Access to Denali park is a little tricky but you might be able to see about visiting. Mount McKinley (probably now called Denali) is pretty amazing. I'm not sure that you would have strong enough ice for ice fishing by that point in the year there, but again I have a perspective of Anchorage and it stayed warmer there for a longer period of time - snow flew but the ice wasn't ready to walk on for a while yet.

A little jealous of you anyway...

#3 Muktuk

Muktuk

Getting started

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox,GUE fundies, GUE Rec 2
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Check out Chena Hot Springs Resort.
About 45 min outside of Fairbanks. Beautiful outdoor thermal pond, ice museum with amazing sculptures, and an ice bar! Drink your martini out of a cocktail glass made entirely out of ice.
The resort is run on geothermal energy (including greenhouses to grow the veggies).
If you are lucky, you can steep in the hot springs at 30 below zero and watch the northern lights.
Rent a car in Fairbanks and drive out for the day, or overnight there.
They have a website you can check out.
I'd meet you for a beer as you pass through Anchorage, but I will be diving down in St. Lucia over Thanksgiving.
Have a great trip.
Marc

#4 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'm afraid I'm no help on specific contacts, but you might try explorefairbanks.com and look at the things to do section. I do hope conditions are right and you are able to see the northern lights.

#5 TXAggieDiver

TXAggieDiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Logged Dives:we're supposed to track of that @#!$ ?

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks I'll look into those suggestions. Someone else told me about the hot springs as well so perhaps I'll pack the bathing suit after all. :thankyou: :thankyou:
Make sure you never run out of Erica!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users