• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive This!!!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Funewgy

Funewgy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 03 October 2004 - 06:38 PM

Sports Fans,

As the funewgy, I am constantly trying to learn from those with more experience. Those of you with 50 dives have some knowledge that I can learn from. Those of you with 100 dives can share something with me and the 50-dive divers. The experience food chain goes on.

So, what's the best diving tip you've ever received?

Granted the tips and when you received them is likely related to your experience at the time, but I'd like to learn from them all...for I am the Funewgy!!!!!

For what's it's worth, here's a post that I had on the Air Consumption thread that outlines a tip that I got from a very experienced dive buddy:

http://www.singlediv...indpost&p=44379

Be the ball and learn me something!!!!! Thanks in advance.
"Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call" -- J. Buffett

#2 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:32 AM

Proper Gas Planning: Boat Captains/DMs always say "be back on the boat with 500psi/50bar in ur tank". So when should I begin my ascent? when I get to 500psi, or 750psi or 1000psi or what? Dont just pick a pressure and guess, know you (and your buddy) always have enough air to get the both of you to the surface if need be.

The answer of when you should begin ascending depends on how deep you are. The deeper you are the longer your ascent and deco obligation and the more air you will use. It is wise to calculate your RMV and have an idea of the amount of air you will personally use. From there there you can calculate your "Rock Bottom" ascent pressure - the amount of air you need to get you and your buddy up to the surface (both breathing from ur tank) completing all your necerssary safety stops. A pretty important thing Im sure You'll agree.

The maths can initially be a little daunting :wakawaka: but is explained very well Here

Put simply the "Rock Bottom" ascent pressures for an "average" diver (breathing at 1cf/min) with a 80cf tank are:
30' - 500psi Minimum
31'-60' - 750psi Minimum
61-100' - 1100psi Minimum
101-130' - 1500 psi Minimum

When you reach the corresponding pressure for your current depth you should ascend. Note that these are ONLY dependant on ur current depth so if you dive down to 120' feet then ascend to 90' before hitting 1500psi ur new ascent pressure is 1100psi. Also note that the above numbers correspond to pressure not volume , so you may need to recalculate depending on what size tank ur using.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I STRONGLY recommend you do the math for yourself at least once to know how much air you PERSONALY use, then calculate ur own rock bottom ascent pressures. New/inexperienced divers might use air faster than the 1cf/min rate the above figures were calculated using. Also the above figures are for Non-deco diving with a safety stop, no deep or extended stops have been factored in.

Be safe, KNOW you have enough air. :wakawaka:
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:52 AM

Best tip, actually listen to the dive briefing!
My tip, check your sausage for leaks, my daughter who wears her's clipped to the BC had apparently snagged it on a dive ladder or wreck and when she surfaced off West Palm Beach on a drift dive with no boat in sight found it wouldn't hold air! :wakawaka:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

Best tip I ever got...

When checking your pressure guage before diving, don't just read the guage. Take a few breaths while watching the pressure guage, the needle should not move, it it does, your air is not turned completely on.

Check your primary and octopus both this way before diving.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:36 AM

Either will let you know if the air is all the way on.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

Not if you're using a pony! Don't ask how I learned that :wakawaka:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:13 PM

A regulator on a pony bottle isn't an octopus.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:42 PM

Either will let you know if the air is all the way on.

That's true, I've just gotten into the habit of checking them both, to make sure both regulators are working properly.

You taught me another good trick Walter, that is to practice diving without your mask, with only one fin, etc. so you are more prepared in the event you ever need to use these skills. That one's worth sharing, too.

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

It's a good idea to practice all your skills on a regular basis. Buddy breathing, emergency ascents, rescues, etc. Don't get rusty, you never know when you'll need them.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:21 PM

best tip...
be a faster swimmer than your buddy
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:34 PM

Why? Do you race?

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:06 PM

Not a tip, but a rule I have learned that works for me. If my dive is to 100ft, turn back at 1500 psi. You can ask Walter and Pete (oops, wrong Dive forum) about that one.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#13 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 04 October 2004 - 03:09 PM

The best tip I can share is to visually inspect and FUNCTIONALY check ALL of your equipment BEFORE you pack it and leave the house. This helps to ensure your stuff works, and you have all your stuff.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:30 PM

Why? Do you race?

yuppers,

Dale races to the bottom. he likes to imitate sinking rocks and anchors on his descent
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:55 AM

If you're an inexperienced diver:-

1) Immediately before jumping in, take a deep breath or two from your regulator and watch your pressure gauge. Any sign of movement and your air isn't on properly. Years ago a helpful crew member turned my air "on" when I was waiting to jump, and I didn't realise. Of course, I had already turned it on so he turned it off. I wasn't very experienced then, but luckily already had air in my BCD so I floated.

2) Know your equipment fully, to the extent of realising quickly if there's something wrong with it.

3) Always feel in control - have good navigation skills so you know where you are and how to get back. Know your air consumption and realise its implications, so you never get caught out.

If you're already a half-decent diver then you learn all the skills others have mentioned above by doing basic technical training, and doing this is the best tip I can suggest. In the UK it's becoming common for people to do this quite early in their diving careers, though I'm not sure in the States.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users