• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive This!!!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

Enjoy your Dive and see all the little fishies and creature's. but Watch your buddy and the Others in the group also.
Last time I dove a guy in our group swam up to me a pointed out my fin strap had come undone. after a short pause I was back with the group again.

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#17 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 October 2004 - 11:19 AM

Your mother and snorkeling taught you to inhale before decending, don't! Exhale as you go under and you may find you need less weight on your belt. :o :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#18 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:19 PM

On a rough-water exit, get out before the guy with the camera does (Gar?)!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#19 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 26 October 2004 - 05:37 AM

Why? So he can take a picture of all those lumbering, wetsuit-clad divers bounding up the ladder and elagently exiting the water?
The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#20 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:16 AM

:banghead: VERY good advice, Jamie! Now, how can we get rid of the evidence???
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#21 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:37 AM

eels really DO have sharp teeth.

#22 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

best tip...
be a faster swimmer than your buddy

And I thought this only applied if being chased by a large :evilgrin:
Kinda like hiking I dont have to be able to outrun a bear just my buddies :teeth:

#23 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:41 PM

Your mother and snorkeling taught you to inhale before decending, don't! Exhale as you go under and you may find you need less weight on your belt. :teeth: :evilgrin:

Good tip,I was told this a couple of years ago and it let me drop several pounds of weight.

#24 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

I think the best diving tip I've ever heard is the cave diving mantra:

"Anyone can call (terminate) a dive at anytime for any reason."

This can even be done on the boat or on shore before gearing up or entering the water. If someone doesn't feel comfortable and wants to "call" or "thumb" it, no pressure should be put on the diver to make the dive. Questions should only be directed to determine the problem or reasons the diver doesn't wish to dive or after the dive is called underwater. On the surface, perhaps a new dive plan or less aggressive dive could be done? But, if a buddy wishes to opt out then you must respect that decision. Underwater if you see a thumb up, return the signal confirming the dive is over and get the heck out of Dodge. No questions. Over. Up.

I've seen many instances when a male diver tries to coax his girlfriend, wife or kids into pushing their limits when they are obviously stressed or reserved about making a dive. This is inexcusable and should not be done. Many fatalities have occurred even on shallow reefs when a diver wasn't mentally ready to dive or was stressed. Lack of focus leads to lack of situational awareness and stress leads to panic. No dive is worth a life. Lost money for bagging a dive can be earned back, but lost people cannot.

I've called several dives at the tech level. I was surprised that even cave divers hassled me and accused me of wussing out when I've done so. I lost respect for those who didn't live by this life-saving mantra. I'm still alive and part of that is knowing when I shouldn't be diving. I've made dives on scuba two hours after suffering a thoracic squeeze while deep freediving and coughing up lots of blood. I've had 3 shallow water blackouts while freediving. I've been bent. I've had CNS O2 toxicity. I've been deep wreck diving while having a high fever and bronchitis. But, on each dive I was completely mentally ready to deal with the whatever could have happened as were my buddies. None of these ever happened during an extreme dive. They all happened during less aggressive dives. So, with God's grace, our training and mental preparedness I am still alive. I never dive when I'm not comfortable or "with it" mentally. You should never accept less than 100% readiness from a buddy. Your life and your buddy's life might depend on it. The life of ones you love might depend upon you deciding to call the dive if you think they aren't truly ready but they are afraid to say so. Leadership sometimes means excusing yourself from a dive even though you are fine so as not to endanger another.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:04 PM

Trace,

The primary reason I hated The Last Dive was the Rouses did not follow that rule. If anyone ever violates that rule by giving any other diver any hassel at all about calling a dive, I jump on that person hard. That's not merely a cave diving mantra, it's a hard and fast rule we all need to live by. Thanks for mentioning it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:46 PM

:o VERY good advice, Jamie! Now, how can we get rid of the evidence???

You guys are just much too funny...I just saw this. The evidence will be at the Smithonian soon. or if you prefer you may just go to the SD.Com photo gallery and look through the Bonair trip!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#27 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

Trace,

The primary reason I hated The Last Dive was the Rouses did not follow that rule.  If anyone ever violates that rule by giving any other diver any hassel at all about calling a dive, I jump on that person hard.  That's not merely a cave diving mantra, it's a hard and fast rule we all need to live by.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Walter,

Yes, I totally agree with you. I used to see the Rouses around Dutch Springs from time to time and I recall talking to Chrissy one day. I never heard them get into any of the famous bickering the few times we crossed paths. But, when reading The Last Dive and Shadow Divers I just get as irate as you when reading about that.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#28 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:07 PM

:o thread gang! As a newbie, I find all of this information very helpful... it's MUCH better to learn from others experiences rather than living through your own mistakes. Thanks!

P.S. Now if we could just get our children to understand that we'd be all set! LOL!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#29 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:09 PM

One other tip that I came up with was inspired by the movie Blackhawk Down and actually impressed my GUE instructor, Bob Sherwood. In the beginning of the movie we are introduced to U.S. Army Rangers who look up to the secretive Delta Force special operations soldiers. They see the Delta guys taping their blood types to their boots before the joint mission. I thought about how "dogtags" and extra measures like tape on boots in the film help medical personnel save lives. I realized that most of the serious diving accidents will often place the diver in danger of being unconscious and unable to provide a medical history. Some divers will keep such documents in wallets, logbooks, etc. which are often locked in hotel rooms, safes, in cars and not always readily available. If you have to be medevaced at sea by USCG helicopter the crew and other divers might forget to check for important information or that information may not be easily found or not available on the dive boat. Since I always carry my wetnotes in my right wetsuit or drysuit pocket, I've dedicated the last page to all of my medical information, a brief medical history, my health care insurance policy numbers, contact numbers, organ donor, blood type, allergies, etc. If I'm unconscious, EMS and other rescue/medical personnel will have all they need to treat me if I'm not able to provide important information myself. This info will most likely end up traveling with me unless my suit is cut away, but my teammates know it is there as well as boat crews. I'd also recommend medic alert bracelets/jewelry. Your DAN/insurance info may be on your gear bag, but having info on your person may save your life.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#30 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:56 PM

Good advice on the medical info. I hope that I never to worry about it, but if I do...

As to Walter's comment about why he didn't like The Last Dive. I agree that it burned me that father and son were acting like that. But, what I did like is that the authors of both books pertaining to the incident pointed to WHY we have this rule. It would have burned me more if they had made it look like it was a good thing to be a tough guy instead of how being two guys being "tough" cost a woman her husband and son in the same bloody day.

Like many of us, I have commenced a dive when I was not one hundred percent healthy. But, I have always been mentally ready to accept the risks of that dive and adjusted said risks to my condition that day or I don't go. I also rip into people that don't accept a called dive as just that! There is always another dive day.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users