• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

eReaders.....I have questions!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

OK, I admit it. When it comes to reading, I am 'old school'. I have always enjoyed the tactile feel of a book in my hands. I enjoy seeing them on my bookshelves. I enjoy picking a book off my shelf and re-reading it any time I take the notion. They are my friends.

But, the world is changing and eReaders are not only more earth-friendly, the reading material arrives almost immediately with no shipping charges, and the books themselves are less expensive to download.

So, I'm interested in learning about eReaders. I don't need anything on this thing except the ability to download and read books....no apps, no games, no movies or music. I have all of that stuff covered with other technology.

I know absolutely NOTHING about how eReaders work. When you buy a 'book', where does it go? Is it always on your eReader, available to read at any time, or are you limited on how many books you have on your eReader? Are they stored on my PC, or on the internet somewhere? What happens to all the 'books' I purchase if that supplier goes under? If I take an eReader on my trips out of the country, do I need wi-fi access to the internet to read my book? Has anyone borrowed eBooks from their local library?

A generous person gave me Amazon gift cards for Christmas, so I looked up the Kindle....and found there are 4-5 different versions! Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle 3G....yada yada yada. Each more expensive than the last, with more features.

Anybody with any experience with eReaders (not the iPad), please give me your input on what you use, and why.....and how it works. I need help deciding whether to go with an eReader or not. :thankyou:
Posted Image

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

FWIW, my initial take is as follows:

Positives--

--ereaders are less bulky than books, and can be read more easily in low- or no-light situations.

--you can store more books (and magazines) on an ereader than you can easily carry while traveling.

--it replaces certain other items that bulk up your travel kit like iPods, alarm clocks and also doubles as a planner/calender/scheduler device is some cases.

Negatives--

--they operate on rechargeable batteries, and you will need an adapter to recharge while overseas; you'll also need a reliable and available source of power to recharge as well.

--depending on the book service that you use, you may not have access to all the titles you want.

--it's harder to flip from one set of pages to another for comparison or clarification (say a graph on page 9 to compare it to prose on page 19).

Having written this, I freely admit that I splurged on an HP Playbook--which may become an orphaned technology--specifically as a low-cost alternative to some things I was doing on my iPhone regarding videos and music, as well as games and books. I'm still exploring the possibilities of the tech, but for the limited use(s) I have, I have no need for an iPad for those times my laptop may be too bulky.

Hope this helps!

#3 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

I happened to have just purchased a Kindle Touch 3G. I picked this one because I do not have a wifi connection at home. You do not pay for a monthly connection, just take it out of the shipping box and it's ready to start using. I still don't know much about the storage of the books and other things you have asked. I was surprised that you can't seem to adjust the back lighting on it. They sell a clip on light just like you would use on a book. I have only had it for about a week so I'm still learning!! So far it is very handy. My goal was to have something that would take my book clutter away. I don't usually pick up the same book twice. It only came with a USB charging cord. You have to purchase the electrical adapter to charge on a wall outlet, which I did. I also purchased a leather cover for it that seems quite nice to have. Good luck in your search!

P.S. I think when traveling you may need the wifi to buy a book, but I don't "think" you need it to read one you already have on your eReader. When I turn it on and go to my book, it goes to the page I was last reading. I also had to learn where the OFF button was! Ha!! I was ready to send the thing back because it kept freezing on me. You probably would not have made my same silly mistake. LOL

Edited by ScubaSis, 26 December 2011 - 09:35 PM.

Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

OK, so if I understand correctly, if I have wi-fi at home and make sure I download books BEFORE I head out on a trip, then I do not need the Kindle 3G, but could get the Kindle Touch. I believe I could also download books to my laptop or to my PC and then transfer them via USB cable over to the Kindle. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will tell me.

Sissy, have you been able to find book titles for authors you typically enjoy?
Posted Image

#5 Jo Canuck

Jo Canuck

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

My friend has a Sony and loves it, she is able to download books onto her computer and sync her e reader to take them with her. She too, was not interested in all the bells and whistles of Internet access and other applications...just the ability to read. She does not regret keeping to a simple choice.

Our local library will let us download books with our library card via their web site. If the title is checked out, they send you a email when it is available for download. The title is then available for two weeks before your time runs out, and the book is locked on your device and "virtually" returned to the library. Very convenient to get a book on impulse without having to trudge through the snow to the library!

I read on my iPad when convenient but still like paper copies....and what about reading in the bath tub? An e reader would be easier to hold than some books, or my iPad but better not drop it!

#6 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

While I haven't gone down this route yet, my mother and sister are sold on the B&N Nook. I did play around with it a little last weekend and it seems nice. What they like about it is that B&N has stores in every city that provide product support. My mother even had a class to walk her through how to use it, including downloading books from the library. You basically get a license for the book for two weeks.

Yes you download the books to the nook. And you can share books between nooks as well. And they have the ones that use WIFI, with no 3G.

I'm sure the Kindle has the same features.

It would certainly be lighter and easier to carry, but as someone who reads on flights, you would have to shut it down during takeoff and landing.

#7 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

I have found all my Authors with no problem. I even found a book that I could not find on the shevles anywhere!! It's an older book by my favorite Author....the only one I had not read.

I think you are right Tammy, about downloading thru USB cable. I guess since it can be done by syncing it doesn't really matter if you have the 3G or wi-fi....if you want to keep it simple. I opoted against the Kindle Fire because I don't normally have a wi-fi access to watch movies...I assume you need to be connected to "watch" a movie. That would only come in handy for me while on a trip and that is NOT when I will sit and watch a movie!! Ha!!

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

I opoted against the Kindle Fire because I don't normally have a wi-fi access to watch movies...I assume you need to be connected to "watch" a movie. That would only come in handy for me while on a trip and that is NOT when I will sit and watch a movie!! Ha!!

I agree! Better things to do on vacation!
I don't want to watch movies, play games, or listen to music on this thing. I am more worried about purchasing books and then not being able to read them again in 5 years like I can do now.
Posted Image

#9 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

All of the major book store publishers have tablets. Most are half decent and will be satisfactory for 90% of the people who use them. Amazon Kindle has the largest base today and is not likely to lose that position soon. The WiFi models will be better in the long run. The 3G runs off a cellular data plan so downloading lots will cost you. If you have WiFi then the bandwidth is a lot cheaper, or free if it is your router that supplies it. :)

The different models can do whatever your budget allows. If all you want is a book reader then get a base Kindle. If you want color magazines, movies, music, web browsing and Angry Birds then get a Fire.

On Amazon (and most providers) your books are stored both in the reader and the Cloud so you can access them anywhere. Avoid Apple technology or your only legal source will be iTunes which is rather limiting (You can only shop on iTunes and no other on line media providers) and costly long term. iPads also have a 40% markup so there are cheaper alternatives that give you more choices.

Cheers.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#10 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

With my 3G connection I don't have to connect to my computer to get a book, but you can. I only had to find my book and touch "buy" and the book was downloaded. I can do the same if I'm on a trip somewhere and need a book, I could connect to wi-fi to get one if 3G is not available. But I will probably have already done that before I get there. I didn't do my research very well before I bought...obviously!! I still think I made the right choice for me.

#11 Harleyguy1963

Harleyguy1963

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Board Status:x
  • Cert Level:Level 3 advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

I have a kindle DX. I really don't use it anymore. I also have a Xoom tablet which i use all the time. There is a Kindle app that works on just about anything. i can read the same book on my laptop, my tablet, and my phone and it will always sync to the latest page read. All devices connect to an account at amazon that keeps track of your books that you have purchased.
Gary T

#12 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

OK, one more question.

Do I understand correctly that each reader has their own media, and Apple is completely proprietary, but Kindle books can be read on other readers if an app is downloaded? Are apps necessary on the Kindle in order to read a non-Kindle book?

This can be confusing! It's like the Xbox won't play the Wii or the PlayStation stuff, so people buy all 3 game systems...
Posted Image

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

I can download my Amazon materials on my HTC Android, XOOM and even PC if I so choose.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 sharkCrazy

sharkCrazy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

OK, one more question.

Do I understand correctly that each reader has their own media, and Apple is completely proprietary, but Kindle books can be read on other readers if an app is downloaded? Are apps necessary on the Kindle in order to read a non-Kindle book?

This can be confusing! It's like the Xbox won't play the Wii or the PlayStation stuff, so people buy all 3 game systems...

OK so the short answer is that each reader has its own format. Ipad uses .PUB Kindle uses .AZW and Nook Uses another format. The ipad does have apps for both kindle and nook though,,,,Also there is a free program called Calibre which will convert your books to other formats ! You can find it through a google search. For what it is worth here is my opinion. You want a device to read with, nothing more nothing less.....the new $79 dollar Kindle is perfect for you. It is the best value going for someone who just wants to read books with it. The e-ink screen is perfect for reading outside and helps with eye strain.
Posted Image

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and my PC and my Samsung Galaxy Tab; I also have the Nook app on my Tab. If you don't already have a laptop or Tab you travel with, then buying a Kindle is ok; for me, I wanted an electronic device to travel with that can also have pictures downloaded to it; or that I can down pictures onto it and then transfer them off when I get home

for what it's worth, I don't buy books from Apple, only music

so for me, getting the Tab and then adding the other apps made sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users