• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How do you rig your pony bottle?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 underh2o2long

underh2o2long

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW.... going for Master diver..Master Jedi
  • Logged Dives:Open water certified in 1983 100+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:25 AM

OK... so I got a pony bottle, now what, how do I rig it? Some say tank mount, some say slung under the arm. I have been giving several diffrent ideas. I would like to hear all.. Pros and Cons on why you rig your pony like you do and what you like and dislike about it... Thanks.. David
" Do everything in life that you want to do... someday you will be too old or in bad health to do it, live with no regrets." ---My Grandfather at 101 years of age---

#2 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:28 AM

David, what size did you get? bob
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#3 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:39 AM

Thank you for opening this up!

I have previously rejected that I "sling it so I can pass it off," and I still don't want to do that, yet - slinging it so I can view it better now appeals to me a lot!

I am sure that I want to use brass or stainless stell bolt-clips (not boat- or suicide-clips; some divers don't know about the dangers of the latter?), one tied to the neck to attach to my upper D ring I think, the other tied to a band secured to a band down the pony to attach to the lower D ring. Wish I'd taken time this past weekend to question the divers who were wearing their's slung.

Do wonder exactly which rope to use, and maybe even which knot?

An extra benefit will be standing up with 20lbs less weight, then attaching the bottle! :hiya:

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#4 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:41 AM

I use a 30cf pony, attached to the tank using 2 metal slide clips.

I take pictures and felt the "Sling" bottle hanging would get in my way.
I don't notice any difference in weight balance as it's almost neutral in the water.
It's out of the way, can be pulled off if needed (just pull away from the tank clips - will probably bend them but then it's going to be an emergency situation anyway)

The dual clips keep it, 30cf, from wiggling around. Sliding in is not too much of a hassel, but if you can find a single LONG slider clip, that might be better.

Hope that helps... without getting into the hassels arguments of pony size and whether to carry a pony or not... :hiya:
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#5 underh2o2long

underh2o2long

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:46 AM

David, what size did you get? bob

13cf
" Do everything in life that you want to do... someday you will be too old or in bad health to do it, live with no regrets." ---My Grandfather at 101 years of age---

#6 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:47 AM

I dive with a Al40 slung as a stage bottle under my left arm....I was with DandyDon this past weekend and saw first hand what happens when you cannot see your gas bubble away. I find that the bottle does not ever impede my actions underwater. I can scooter, penetrate wrecks, basically do everything I did without the bottle.

DandyDon - If you decide to go with a stage-rigged bottle do yourself this favor. Buy this rigging kit - http://www.extreme-e...-hosekits.shtml
It has everything already to be put on the tank with no fiddling......

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:11 AM

Also since it is a good investment of your time to take additional training...staged decompression and advanced nitrox classes also teach you multiple ways to sling your bottle so that you can find the method that YOU prefer! Plus you get the valuable training as well. Well worth the investment! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

As Don knows, I tank mount my 13 cu. ft. pony. I place it upside down so I can easily reach the valve (which I practice opening every dive). I have tried slinging it in the past, but that doesn't work well since I'm often on the bottom mucking about to get video footage. It got in the way there.

As for being able to see the bubbles (and therefore knowing there is a leak), that is good advice. I recently discovered my pony had a bad o-ring and was evacuating to the point of being nearly useless. To compensate for the fact I can't see mine, I test the pressure each day I dive. I leave the pony/reg pressurized but off and am careful to make sure the purge on the reg doesn't get hit by mistake.

Dr. Bill

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 10:08 AM

Don had his bottle slung like yours and it had air when he entered the water however his reg leaked practically all of it out. Had he turned it on and then off aka pressurized it...that would have been avoided and he could have still used the bottle. I still think in this case he should consider using it as a stage bottle vs. a pony bottle and take the additional training. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#10 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:03 AM

I sling a 40cf bottle under my arm as well...and have no problem with mobility. Sugarbad was with me on a dive where I entered the U-352 without problems. Unless you really need it out of the way like Dr. Bill, I would recommend "slinging" it. You should be able to sling your 13cf the same way it's just shorter.
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#11 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

Great topic, great answers ... thanks, you all!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:24 AM

I use a 40 cu. ft. that carries EAN50. I use it for safety stops and deco.

I sling it and don't turn it on until I intend to use it. Also, in cold water regs tend to freeflow. I can see the air bubbles if my O-Ring starts to go and I don't have a reg freeflowing that I am not right on top of. I have not yet gone to putting a DIN valve on it, but as the next stage bottle will be steel LP 45 (the better to put pure O2 in as dive operators have this aversion to pushing pure oxygen to 3000 pounds, LOL) I probably won't on this stage bottle. I do NOT factor this bottle into my gas management.

As Wreck Wench states, I learned how to mount the thing in my IANTD Advanced Nitrox course which is the start to Deco training. I sling under my left arm. It goes up and out of my way as it empties. It doesn't cause any issues with getting the way of things either.

I would recommend similar courses (TDI, ANDI, and other organizations offer equivalent courses) to people doing dives in excess of 100 ft. and treating that as "routine". If you check dive tables, available bottom time really starts to drop off at about 100 ft. without going into staged decompression. These courses will often push gas management and dive planning into the diver. They also push safe equiment configuration.

PS, You can make out a little of the way that I wear my pony bottle in my avatar (which someone who shall remain nameless asked me to change and I stubbornly refused :wavey: ).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:02 PM

Won't change your avatar eh?? Hmmmm.... sounds like to need to dig up a good picture and have it changed FOR you!!! hehehehehe!!! (I know I have a picture of Mickey Mouse somewhere here)
Sempar Partus!!

#14 underh2o2long

underh2o2long

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:30 PM

I am sure that I want to use brass or stainless stell bolt-clips (not boat- or suicide-clips; some divers don't know about the dangers of the latter?)

DandyDon- I read what happen to you and this is one of the reasons I am asking these questions.. (btw... I am glad things turned out well for you) and am glad you shared what happend so we ALL can learn from it. What are these boat- or suicide-clips you are talking about.. Thanks... David

#15 sugarbad

sugarbad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 06 October 2004 - 01:56 PM

What are these boat- or suicide-clips you are talking about..

Go here for the "suicide clips:" http://www.gue.com/e...ttachment6.html

For the acceptable clips Go here: http://www.gue.com/e...ttachment5.html

Edited by sugarbad, 06 October 2004 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users