• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Trip Down the Keys

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Diver
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi all,

I'm heading to Key West and Key Largo from July 22-26 and then Miami from the 27-29th. It's actually part of my friend's Bachelorette Party in Miami, which I'm helping to organize, and this is the trip extension. I have a few thoughts and questions about diving and traveling in that area I was hoping some of you might be able to help with:

1) What's the deal with Dive Guides? It seems the majority of operations have them as a considerable added cost.
2) I'm considering partying with the ladies in Key West (more partying in Miami, of course) and doing the diving in Key Largo, any thoughts?
3) I think I may have a mix of snorkelers and divers. It seems possible to select a site where both activities are possible.
4) A few people have mentioned Rainbow Reef in their previous posts about this area. I'm strongly considering them.
5) We are also very interested in deep sea fishing. Is anyone familiar with any good operators in Key Largo or Key West?
6) If anyone has suggestions about places to eat/bars etc. in any of these areas that would be great.

We've got our hotels/house rentals all taken care of, but other than that we're open to suggestions!

Take care,
Brenda

#2 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Conch residents recommend:

Diving in Key Largo--Rainbow is fine, see exception below
Fishing in Islamorda----fleet near Whale Harbor
Drinking in Key West---see bar krawl below
-I would take 4-5 hours in KW from your friends and snorklers and dive the Vandenburg wreck in Key West.

When I touch down in KW my krawl starts about 4pm
1-Irish Kelly's
2-Sloppy Joe's
3- Sunset at Mollary Dock followed w/ Mojito at Cuban rest-bar right next to dock
4-repeat Sloppy Joe's
5- Hog's Breath
6- Rick's Outdoor Cafe
All above have live music.
7- Red Garter-(female strippers- male patrons will be hitting on you)
or
7- Burbon Street bar( male strippers- Have no fear the male patron will DEFINITLY not hit on you)
8- Stumble back to hotel room- don't drive :dance: :dance: :dance:
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#3 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Rofl!!!! OMG!! How come no one ever told me about Bourbon Street bar???
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#4 dive_sail_etc

dive_sail_etc

Admin, TC, Charlie and Bottle Washer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,143 posts
  • Board Status:Usually check in daily
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:1200+

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

Rofl!!!! OMG!! How come no one ever told me about Bourbon Street bar???

Probably for the same reason no one told me about the Red Garter.... :banghead:

...but I found it all by myself! :teeth: (Well, okay, I may have followed a pack of frat boys hootin' and hollerin' about the joint...)

• Scubatooth likes this
Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
Finally broken to the plow and harnessed to the traces. How may I help you today? Questions welcomed to charlies@singledivers.com

"My secret to maintaining this goofy façade? It ain't no façade." - Brad, the Fledgling Journeyman Master Hedonist
"I don't make up jokes; I just observe Congress and report the facts." - Will Rogers

#5 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Oh my gosh, thanks! This advice looks golden!

Conch residents recommend:

Diving in Key Largo--Rainbow is fine, see exception below
Fishing in Islamorda----fleet near Whale Harbor
Drinking in Key West---see bar krawl below
-I would take 4-5 hours in KW from your friends and snorklers and dive the Vandenburg wreck in Key West.

When I touch down in KW my krawl starts about 4pm
1-Irish Kelly's
2-Sloppy Joe's
3- Sunset at Mollary Dock followed w/ Mojito at Cuban rest-bar right next to dock
4-repeat Sloppy Joe's
5- Hog's Breath
6- Rick's Outdoor Cafe
All above have live music.
7- Red Garter-(female strippers- male patrons will be hitting on you)
or
7- Burbon Street bar( male strippers- Have no fear the male patron will DEFINITLY not hit on you)
8- Stumble back to hotel room- don't drive :dance: :dance: :dance:

#6 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Brenda, it's been a while since I dove in the keys but what I remember was they don't send a DM with you on the dive unless you pay for a guide. I found that odd and outrageous at the same time.

Love Stan's list of the bar's. I'm going to have to save that for the next time I'm in Key West. Don't remember if it was on the list but the pier for sunset is pretty much a requirement.

And Looe Key marine sanctuary is a good place for both divers and snorkelers, the dives are pretty shallow.

Edited by rkymtwy, 24 June 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#7 ScubaScar

ScubaScar

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

I was stationed in Key West for 6 mths last year ....I would suggest concentrating your diving in Key Largo (I dove with Horizon Divers and loved them) the reefs are a little healthier. BUT you should not miss a dive on the Vandenburg (my second fav wreck there is Cayman Salvager-there is a large eel that hangs out on the starboard bow. I dove with Dive Key West and they are great.

Horizion Divers don't make you dive with a guide and give you great briefings so you don't need them.

Partying in Key West is a blast...Duval Street is the "center of gravity" for partying. Just off Duval is a place called "Better than Sex"...it is a dessert place and you shouldn't miss it. For dinner I would suggest Blue Heaven and you should have the Key Lime Pie there. There is a small bar called the White Tarpon and you have to have the Key Lime Martini. Most people will head for Sloppy Joe's but all the bars on Duval are a blast....depending on how "wild" your party wants to get there is a clothing optional bar called the Garden of Eden, it is the third floor above "The Bull" bar. For an intimate off Duval Street experience you should swing through "Shots and Giggles" (next door to Scars and Tattoos"). Louies Backyard is good for watching the sunset (IF you want to aviod the crowded Mallory Square-but Mallory Square has a lot of "street performers" that make it a fun evening).

Deep sea fishing--sorry I didn't do any of that...BUT on Stock Island there are several charters that were talked about by folks.

If you want I can also put you in contact with a buddy of mine that is still living there for more up to date info or tour assistance.

Have a great time...I have to admit I loved my time in Key West is an open minded, laid back, party place.

ScubaScar

Hi all,

I'm heading to Key West and Key Largo from July 22-26 and then Miami from the 27-29th. It's actually part of my friend's Bachelorette Party in Miami, which I'm helping to organize, and this is the trip extension. I have a few thoughts and questions about diving and traveling in that area I was hoping some of you might be able to help with:

1) What's the deal with Dive Guides? It seems the majority of operations have them as a considerable added cost.
2) I'm considering partying with the ladies in Key West (more partying in Miami, of course) and doing the diving in Key Largo, any thoughts?
3) I think I may have a mix of snorkelers and divers. It seems possible to select a site where both activities are possible.
4) A few people have mentioned Rainbow Reef in their previous posts about this area. I'm strongly considering them.
5) We are also very interested in deep sea fishing. Is anyone familiar with any good operators in Key Largo or Key West?
6) If anyone has suggestions about places to eat/bars etc. in any of these areas that would be great.

We've got our hotels/house rentals all taken care of, but other than that we're open to suggestions!

Take care,
Brenda

#8 Itsa

Itsa

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hey Scubascar,

I hope you had a great Independence Day!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We'll definitely check out some of the smaller joints you suggested and I'll try to pull myself away from the girls to dive the Vandenburg. This is going to be such a fun and hilarious trip. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice!

Take care,
Brenda

I was stationed in Key West for 6 mths last year ....I would suggest concentrating your diving in Key Largo (I dove with Horizon Divers and loved them) the reefs are a little healthier. BUT you should not miss a dive on the Vandenburg (my second fav wreck there is Cayman Salvager-there is a large eel that hangs out on the starboard bow. I dove with Dive Key West and they are great.

Horizion Divers don't make you dive with a guide and give you great briefings so you don't need them.

Partying in Key West is a blast...Duval Street is the "center of gravity" for partying. Just off Duval is a place called "Better than Sex"...it is a dessert place and you shouldn't miss it. For dinner I would suggest Blue Heaven and you should have the Key Lime Pie there. There is a small bar called the White Tarpon and you have to have the Key Lime Martini. Most people will head for Sloppy Joe's but all the bars on Duval are a blast....depending on how "wild" your party wants to get there is a clothing optional bar called the Garden of Eden, it is the third floor above "The Bull" bar. For an intimate off Duval Street experience you should swing through "Shots and Giggles" (next door to Scars and Tattoos"). Louies Backyard is good for watching the sunset (IF you want to aviod the crowded Mallory Square-but Mallory Square has a lot of "street performers" that make it a fun evening).

Deep sea fishing--sorry I didn't do any of that...BUT on Stock Island there are several charters that were talked about by folks.

If you want I can also put you in contact with a buddy of mine that is still living there for more up to date info or tour assistance.

Have a great time...I have to admit I loved my time in Key West is an open minded, laid back, party place.

ScubaScar

Hi all,

Take care,
Brenda

#9 ScubaScar

ScubaScar

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks...I had a great 4th! Hope yours was good too.

It is hard to not have a good time in Key West....you would have to work at it. I would love to hear about your adventure especially the diving if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Take Care,
Scar

Hey Scubascar,

I hope you had a great Independence Day!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We'll definitely check out some of the smaller joints you suggested and I'll try to pull myself away from the girls to dive the Vandenburg. This is going to be such a fun and hilarious trip. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the advice!

Take care,
Brenda

ScubaScar

Hi all,

Take care,
Brenda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users